Pictures from Rear of Train??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmushial

OBS Chief
All the pictures I took from my California Zephyr trip were out the side window and most looked pretty obvious that they were through such. But when I look at other's pictures from the same train, I find lots what appear to be out a window at the rear of the train (and directly down the rails one has just passed); or maybe from an open platform at the rear of the train. On my Zephyr trip I didn't venture rearward beyond the dinning car. Is there such a window normally at the end of the Zephyr or an open platform that one has access to? In August when I'm on the Zephyr again, if it's there, I'd like to make use of it... and if it's not there, how did these people get said pictures?

No open platform but, the door (locked) does have a window you can look/shoot out of. YMMV because of how clean, or not, it is. Commonly referred to as the "railfan window"!

There is a window from the rear car. However, from your other post, I gather you'll be in coach. Only Sleeper passengers are alowed in the Sleeper Cars!

Many thanks for the quick replies... but yes, sadly, only a coach passenger ;-(

No open platform but, the door (locked) does have a window you can look/shoot out of. YMMV because of how clean, or not, it is. Commonly referred to as the "railfan window"!
Interesting name for the window. But that brings to mind another pleasant aspect of the May trip - there seemed to be a lot of rail fans and happy passengers on board - entirely unlike flying in a pressured tube. Seems that air travel is something one has to do and put up with... but on the Zephyr lots of pleasant people, lots of people with lots of rail miles under their belts. ... I had last ridden Amtrak in the 80's and given the experience - dirty and rude are two adjectives that come to mind - I wasn't expecting any better, though was hoping for better. Came away hugely pleasantly surprised :) x100

But there are other trains where the rear car is a (usually) coach car. The Coast Starlight, for instance. So if you're based in California, you

could always ride the CS. I say "usually" because if there is a private railcar attached, then the rear car is obviously not going to be

accessible.

What about the SWC? Is there such access from the sleeper cars? Are the sleepers usually the last cars on the SWC?

Some video I took a few years ago from the PDX sleeper on the EB Empire Builder. The window was relatively clean!

Some video I took a few years ago from the PDX sleeper on the EB Empire Builder. The window was relatively clean!

Many thanks for the link... it's only been a month since I've been on the Zephyr and I immediately wanted to be back there... oh well, August is only 6 weeks away.

again, many thanks for the video link - had to watch it twice :) x100

greg

What about the SWC? Is there such access from the sleeper cars? Are the sleepers usually the last cars on the SWC?
Unless there is a private car attached, you should have a clear shot as the last car is a coach; SWC sleepers are on the front.

Photo taken from last coach on SWC 3 last August of the semaphores south of Raton NM.

NewMexSemiphores.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
During peak time, they add an extra sleeper for CHI - DEN / DEN - CHI
Thanks - I guess obvious when I think about/read the words carefully... and can I infer from this that there is more traffic btwn CHI and DEN than to the west?

Two years ago, my then 9 year old granddaughter took a beautiful sunset picture from the railfan window on the SWC. She entered it in the fair as part of her 4-H photography project and won a blue ribbon. (I'd post it here, but I dont know how!)

The only reason the Sleepers are on the rear of the CZ is there is a seasonal sleeper that Amtrak will cut off at Denver.
Not true. The sleepers have been on the back of the CZ at all times of the year for at least the last 3 years.

On the Empire builder leaving Seattle you have a coach rear window you can film out of.

When one "cuts a sleeper out," and it's at the end of the train, does the main train just leave it on the main track and a switch engine moves it onto a siding, or can one cut it free while in (slow) motion and use the momentum of the car to move it onto a siding? Are there codes/regulations on how this is done, or is there room for (safe) ingenuity [and this assuming the sleeper is unoccupied]? Likewise, I assume dropping a car off the end is a different story vs cutting one out of the middle in terms of time and effort [referring to the above post - assuming the reason they're at the end is that that makes them easier to cut out]??

The only reason the Sleepers are on the rear of the CZ is there is a seasonal sleeper that Amtrak will cut off at Denver.
Showing my ignorance... but care to explain?
It's only fair to say that there was a seasonal Denver sleeper long before they moved the sleepers to the rear. The change seemed to come about the same time they moved to the temporary station.

My theory is that they moved them to the rear to make sure sleeping car passengers walk the maximum distance. :) When they backed into the old station, the coaches on the rear came nowhere near the ramp down to the station and the sleepers on the front were even further away. I think the reasoning was that the fuel truck couldn't get any closer to the station.

Now the train is backed up with the front ending up near the street crossing to the station, and the sleepers on the rear way past the it. In the past I never considered using the golf cart, but have the last couple of times at Denver.

In the past I never considered using the golf cart, but have the last couple of times at Denver.
Never saw a golf cart in Denver & I've been been there a few times. If I had I would have used it for sure!!! Not saying there isnt, just that I never saw it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back