Pittsburgh Amtrak Station past, present and future

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, yes. I remember many trips in the 1960s riding NEC trains with P70 coaches, not air conditioned, with open windows. Also the MP54 EMUs on the Paoli Local were similar. Not air-conditioned, and, in the summer, with the windows open, the ride was really noisy. Of course, being that the NEC was electrified, we didn't have to deal with sooty smoke and cinders coming through the windows. I did get a chance to experience that last summer on the Western Maryland, though, and the sulfurous tang of the coal smoke and the cinders in my hair were part of the experience. I can only imagine what big cities were like back in the day, when there were lots of coal-powered steam trains running through.
When I was in some of the German industrial cities in 1970-71, I discovered that I was getting ring around the collar on the outside of my white shirts. I had read about Pittsburgh and it was easy to visualize it after that experience.

People often forget that what we call the "golden age" of rail travel for most people included riding in un air conditioned coaches with open windows pulled by steam engines.
My “golden era” of train travel was probably around 1956, when most of the new streamliner and domeliner equipment was in service, The Twentieth Century Limited was still all-Pullman, streamliners like The Broadway Limited were on their all-time fastest schedules (only 15.5 hours Chicago to New York), and there were so many trains and routes still in service, now either down to tri-weekly, or gone…

Just returned from a trip to New York and Washington and was very pleased to see Amtrak has upgraded to modern signage inside and outside the Pittsburgh station. Really classes up the place. Even trackside signage is in the family.

Attachments

• 20230620_200323.jpg
    20230620_200323.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_200253.jpg
    20230620_200253.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Just returned from a trip to New York and Washington and was very pleased to see Amtrak has upgraded to modern signage inside and outside the Pittsburgh station. Really classes up the place. Even trackside signage is in the family.
Now if they'd only return the Station Upstairs to the Magnificant Lobby in what used to be the Waiting Room during The Pennsy's Glory Days !( not Open to the Public and now part of Upscale Apartments!)

Now if they'd only return the Station Upstairs to the Magnificant Lobby in what used to be the Waiting Room during The Pennsy's Glory Days !( not Open to the Public and now part of Upscale Apartments!)
Nice dream, but that will never happen. Small steps, they're at just making the existing space a little more palatable. There is more work to come to accommodate the additional Pennsylvanian train.

I did notice the upgrade in signage during my trip from PGH to JST last year. The new signage looks great and updated.

Have the signs below been there for a while as well, or are these an addition with the new signage?

IMG_1169.jpeg

(I actually noticed this in my recent trip on the Pennsylvanian back in January of this year)

I'll always wish they'd found a way to keep the station at Station Square and run the Pennsylvanian over the Port Perry Branch instead.
That’s an interesting suggestion. I had to look at a map to see how that would work, but it looks like it could. I haven’t been in the old P&LE station in years…would Amtrak be able to use it, without too much modification, or displacement of current user’s?🤔

That’s an interesting suggestion. I had to look at a map to see how that would work, but it looks like it could. I haven’t been in the old P&LE station in years…would Amtrak be able to use it, without too much modification, or displacement of current user’s?🤔

I don't know about the routing and what it would take to build the infrastructure to send trains there, but the site itself would require significant work and displace most of the current tenants, assuming they use the current footprint and structures. I can't imagine that ever happening.

Ye
I don't know about the routing and what it would take to build the infrastructure to send trains there, but the site itself would require significant work and displace most of the current tenants, assuming they use the current footprint and structures. I can't imagine that ever happening.
Yeah, I kind of thought so. It would probably be much better to try to improve the current station.

For when I drive there to take 42/43, there's a parking garage right across from the station (right above the Greyhound station). I find it really convenient so that I don't have to play hunger games with parking around the city with metered parking.

I usually take advantage of the $5 on the weekends. It's a pretty sweet deal as I take 42/43 both in one day.

Last edited:
No, there's far too much work to do now, so that's long gone as an option. I presume that keeping the old PRR station fit with the needs of 1971 more than the P&LE station. I'm pretty sure there was no connection between what is now the Mon Line and the Pittsburgh Sub anyhow.

But in the long run? Better space for a decent waiting room, better road access, better transit access than what we've got. My fantasy plan would have the Pennsylvanian (or future Keystones) cut off the Pittsburgh Line, cross the Port Perry Bridge, then jump onto the Pittsburgh Sub into Station Square. I've never really figured out what to do with the Capitol Limited. Probably run on the old P&LE to New Castle and figure out how to get to Cleveland from there. You'd lose Alliance, but probably trade that for Youngstown?

As a solution for better parking and transit access, why couldn’t there be an infill station at Rosslyn Station on the East Busway? There is already a park and ride there and obviously the East Busway would serve such a station.

I would assume that there are two big stumbling blocks - funding and NS objecting to the addition of a station platform. Of course that wouldn’t help with the CL at all; it would only serve the Pennsylvanian

As a solution for better parking and transit access, why couldn’t there be an infill station at Rosslyn Station on the East Busway? There is already a park and ride there and obviously the East Busway would serve such a station.

I would assume that there are two big stumbling blocks - funding and NS objecting to the addition of a station platform. Of course that wouldn’t help with the CL at all; it would only serve the Pennsylvanian
I like the idea, in the abstract, with the caveat that I don't know whether the 163-space Roslyn (not "Rosslyn!" friendly spelling correction) "Park and Ride" lot fills up with East Busway riders. There's a description and aerial shot at Swissvale Park and Ride Information. It looks pretty full. Well, duh, parking there is free. I'm an economist and I know the power of pricing.

Wouldn't help me 'cause I'm car-free and live downtown but I know that doesn't describe everyone. Even in downtown, the parking garage across the street from the station is pretty reasonable especially on weekends, though not free: Grant Street Transportation Center. So folks, come ride the Pennsylvanian or the Limited! Yinz will like the train.

For Christmas holiday I used to take the train from Orlando to Pittsburgh to visit family.. what an experience.. seeing the snow as the train rounded the bend .. seeing the houses tiered up with thier lights blinking on the mountain slopes .. the bar car where smoking was allowed .. had a piano .. the layover in dc with the amazing mall in the terminal .. stepping out of the dc terminal and being right there on Capitol plaza.. I miss those trips

We had a trip that departed and arrived at Pittsburgh station about 10 years ago . From the pictures it looks like it hasn't changed much. We were able to get into the original waiting room at street level and it is a beautiful area. Disappointment followed when we had to walk down to the basement level to wait for the trains in a cramped uninspiring waiting room. Amtrak could certainly do better but since this grand old structure is now an apartment house a station lobby at track level may not be possible.
We arrived early and also visited the former P&LE Station on the other side of the river. We went inside and it was then a restaurant. Really beautiful structure but the tracks no longer run there and the long freight house was now a market.
Here is what the unused waiting room of Pittsburgh station looks like:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a0/33/c4/a033c4304aaff6a041f167eeb12c5ecc.jpg
Back in the day Pittsburgh also had a large Wabash RR station but I believe that it was demolished a while ago.
File:Wabash Station, Pittsburgh, Pa (NYPL b12647398-68305).jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Last edited:
We had a trip that departed and arrived at Pittsburgh station about 10 years ago . From the pictures it looks like it hasn't changed much. We were able to get into the original waiting room at street level and it is a beautiful area. Disappointment followed when we had to walk down to the basement level to wait for the trains in a cramped uninspiring waiting room. Amtrak could certainly do better but since this grand old structure is now an apartment house a station lobby at track level may not be possible.
We arrived early and also visited the former P&LE Station on the other side of the river. We went inside and it was then a restaurant. Really beautiful structure but the tracks no longer run there and the long freight house was now a market.
Here is what the unused waiting room of Pittsburgh station looks like:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a0/33/c4/a033c4304aaff6a041f167eeb12c5ecc.jpg
Back in the day Pittsburgh also had a large Wabash RR station but I believe that it was demolished a while ago.
File:Wabash Station, Pittsburgh, Pa (NYPL b12647398-68305).jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Given the tight footprint and the private ownership of the Pennsylvanian condos, there isn't much Amtrak can do in this location. They have "refreshed" the station and updated the signage in the last year or so. Obviously it's not a palace but it's not as dumpy as it was previously.

As a native Pittsburgher (1944-72) I remember all 4 stations (B&O, P&LE, P&WV, & PRR where Amtrak is). The PRR in early 1950s or so built a large ticket office structure in the center of the waiting room that detracted from the beauty and reduced the seating. The former ticket windows along the south wall (at the right in linked photo above) remained but were closed (I think by their original translucent glass pull-downs). The ceiling windows were covered (seemingly painted over) and many black cables held the new offices' fairly low "ceiling" (with its bright fluorescent lighting) suspended thereby. The opposite long (north) wall included large restrooms with lots of marble. Before I was born my Mom had left her wedding ring next to a sink and returned from Wilkinsburg on the local to inquire. The ladies' room maid had found the rings and safely returned them to Mom. The P&LA station retained its beauty and I recall part of the men's room had large stall with its own sink and such (long before ADA laws). The Wabash station I don't recall ever being inside but at least by 1950 it was a haven for pigeons and waiting outside for a bus could be risky. My 1930 Official Guide shows 4 trains leaving & 4 arriving (2 went the 59 miles to Pgh Junction in OH and 2 didn't go as far); my 1944 Guide says there was only freight. In 1966 I had a prof who mentioned waiting (as a Korean War draftee) at the old B&O station (it was replaced by a smaller modern structure later in the 1950s).

Nice recap! I was working in Pittsburgh in the 70’s and remember going to the Grant St station to see B&O’s RDC leaving for the evening commute. I was surprised that ended. Is that station still there?
I think I saw that B&O station from a streetcar on the Smithfield Street bridge.

I also remember the dingy 70s-era P&LE commuter train at their station. I think that train was still running without a proper station at the end because the station became The Grand Concourse as the whole Station Square plan became reality.

This past Sunday (9/24), while watching #30 come through and then taking #42, I saw that the Pittsburgh station waiting room is under renovations. It looks like just new paint so far and new signage around the entrance and stairs/escalator.

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1852.jpeg
(From what I remember, there used to be posters on this will. I'm sure the posters will be put back up after the renovations are completed).

Back