Please tell me all about the Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyK

Train Attendant
Hi

I have a couple of trips planned to the US with my teenage son. We both love train travel and would like to do a couple of fairly long train journeys. We fancy doing The Crescent from Washington DC to New Orleans. I would like to do a stopover on the way, possibly Atlanta. Could anybody make any suggestions of places of interest en route? What areas of interest will we pass through?

I have priced the total journey but am not sure how to include a stopover on website. Does the journey cost more when broken up in this way.

Thanks so much for any help.

Tracy

Potentially it can cost more, depending on the availability of rooms on each day of the trip. One day the sleepers could be nearly sold out, so they would cost alog more. The other they could be empty. If you want to beat Amtrak's bucket system, book early when most trains are not particually booked. It will be the most expensive to travel during thanksgiving, as that is Amtrak's busiest holiday.

Hi Tracy,

I haven't traveled that route, but I plan to. I would like to stop in a place like Biloxi Mississippi or Birmingham Alabama. Of course, you'd have to research transportation a bit. I'm sure Atlanta has a good metro system, if you don't mind another big city.

I think the best person to answer this question is most likely Bill Haithcoat who should be back with us tomorrow (as long as the backlog of work after his well deserved two week vacation isn't too bad) as this is the route he rides most frequently as well as being one of out resident Atlantans.

One interesting thing that the Crescent passes is Coach Paul W. "Bear" Bryant's tower on the practice fields at the University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The city has some other interesting things namely buildings that survuved the Civil War and the University campus is beautiful, and yes this is a shameless plug for my Alma Mater :)

sutton8596 said:
Hi Tracy,I haven't traveled that route, but I plan to. I would like to stop in a place like Biloxi Mississippi or Birmingham Alabama. Of course, you'd have to research transportation a bit. I'm sure Atlanta has a good metro system, if you don't mind another big city.
There is no direct access to the MARTA rail system at the Amtrak Station. The atlanta station is accessable by bus from and to marta rail stations in the vicinity. The current station was a suburben station, but now serves as the only one in the area. It is smaller then most other major cities stations.

I have taken the Crescent from Salisbury, NC to New Orleans and back. It was one of my favorite trips and hope to take it again soon. I do recommend booking a sleeper compartment - the trip will be much more pleasant.

Things to see and do: Unfortunately the Crescent passes through North Carolina in the dead of night. Ditto some of Virginia and South Carolina.

Atlanta is a good stopover. Lots of touristy things - however as someone mentioned earlier the subway (MARTA) does not directly connect with the rail station.

Charlottesville, Virgina is a wonderful place, but not very far down the line from Washington. Full of history, good restaurants, and wonderful architecture - you can't go wrong in Charlottesville.

Enjoy the trip. Eat the catfish if they have it in the dining car.

Back