PO91 Silver Star - Still 2 Viewliners?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtonFlyer

Train Attendant
Hey folks!

I've been railfanning the PO91 Silver Star fairly regularly as it passes thru Philly for the past year or so - ever since I had my 1st chance to take a LD trip PHL-TPA in March of last year. Needless to say...I'm hooked ;)

Anyway, one thing that I have noticed though recently is that the Silver Star is still running with 2 viewliners southbound. I thought I had understood that Amtrak's viewliner deployment had PO91 running 3 viewliners SB during the winter and 2 in the summer?

Does anyone know if this deployment has changed and why? Thanks!

ExtonFlyer

Hey folks!
I've been railfanning the PO91 Silver Star fairly regularly as it passes thru Philly for the past year or so - ever since I had my 1st chance to take a LD trip PHL-TPA in March of last year. Needless to say...I'm hooked ;)

Anyway, one thing that I have noticed though recently is that the Silver Star is still running with 2 viewliners southbound. I thought I had understood that Amtrak's viewliner deployment had PO91 running 3 viewliners SB during the winter and 2 in the summer?

ExtonFlyer
I rode the Silver Star on Saturday from JAX to WAS with 2 viewliners and then again from WAS to JAX on Tuesday with 2 viewliners

Last edited:
In the past few weeks, I've been on 91/92 three times and have seen it pass by many more than that. I haven't seen a single one carrying more than two Viewliners. The Meteor on the other hand, has consistently had three. This was even when the Star was pulling a full five coaches. The LSL has probably indeed taken the SS's seasonal third sleeper car.

Not today! I'm on the LSL right now and we only have 2 views. I'm in car 4812.
Actually if you're in 4812, that would indicate that there are indeed 3 Viewliner sleepers on that train, or at least that there were supposed to be 3. The LSL numbers its sleepers 4810 (closest to the diner-lite car), 4811, 4812 (closest to the baggage car).

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually if you're in 4812, that would indicate that there are indeed 3 Viewliner sleepers on that train, or at least that there were supposed to be 3. The LSL numbers its sleepers 4810 (closest to the diner-lite car), 4811, 4812 (closest to the baggage car).

Yep, maybe the keyword "supposed" to be, b/c there are only two!

That might suggest some equipment was bad-ordered at Sunnyside too late for a substitution, or with no spare available. Given their freezing tendencies, the lack of run-though for thawing purposes, and ungodly frigid weather we have been having, that would actually not be surprising. AFAIK there is only one dedicated spare at Sunnyside at any given time. You just need two cars to die for one to go out short.

Or, perhaps, the Boston sleeper has finally run through... nah.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not fully sure of the reasons, but the LSL is keeping it's 3 Viewliner's year round now.
the lake shore nows runs with 2 viewliners. and days that 19/20 runs to atlanta it will be one sleeper.

Last edited:
Hmm... Think bad winter weather has put some sleepers temporarily out of service?
in the winter time lake shore only runs with 2 sleepers. they usually do that every year.
It is true that Amtrak has for years run only two sleepers on the LSL during winter. However this year, at least through December there were multiple sightings of the LSL running with 3 sleepers. Now this month there has been at least one sighting of the LSL with only two, but with December in mind one has to wonder if the LSL is only getting two because of frozen equipment or because Amtrak has returned to the normal winter configuration of the LSL.

the lake shore nows runs with 2 viewliners. and days that 19/20 runs to atlanta it will be one sleeper.
The Crescent runs to New Orleans daily, excepting a few days when the NS is cutting the line, but thats because of NS not because of Amtrak's preference. Been this way for a while. Get with the program.

The Crescent runs to New Orleans daily, excepting a few days when the NS is cutting the line, but thats because of NS not because of Amtrak's preference. Been this way for a while. Get with the program.
He's reffering to the upcoming trackwork which will cut the train back to Atlanta.

cpamtfan-Peter

i am sorry if I wasnt with the program. I work on 19/20 as lead and since this will be some what new ( i was on the train where it did stop in atlanta and yes it had 2 sleepers). But let me make this one thing clear .... i never said it was amtrak peference .

Last edited:
Hey folks!

ExtonFlyer

Its not PO91. Its Amtrak train # 91. The csx train id is P091XX. XX is the day the train hits CSX.

Hey folks!

ExtonFlyer

Its not PO91. Its Amtrak train # 91. The csx train id is P091XX. XX is the day the train hits CSX.
Interesting, I did not know that. Thank you. So, for example, the southbound Silver Star that left NYP today (about 40 minutes ago) would be called PO9131 once it hits CSX track? Is that correct?

Hey folks!

ExtonFlyer

Interesting, I did not know that. Thank you. So, for example, the southbound Silver Star that left NYP today (about 40 minutes ago) would be called PO9131 once it hits CSX track? Is that correct?
Correct, but P09131, not PO9131. Crews say "O" over the radio but in actuality it's a zero.

For what it's worth, I observed 9130 last night with 2 Viewliners, 3 coaches, and a private dome on the end.

Hey folks!

ExtonFlyer

Correct, but P09131, not PO9131. Crews say "O" over the radio but in actuality it's a zero.

For what it's worth, I observed 9130 last night with 2 Viewliners, 3 coaches, and a private dome on the end.
Oh wow - I'm getting an education here! Thank you again. I always thought PO stood for passenger operation. You know what they say about assuming something! Yes, I heard that the P09131 was carrying the "Sierra Hotel" on it's rear from WAS to TPA for the Super Bowl festivities. I wish I would have gotten a chance to see that consist!! Thanks again for the clarification and the consist observation.

Hey folks!

ExtonFlyer

Oh wow - I'm getting an education here! Thank you again. I always thought PO stood for passenger operation. You know what they say about assuming something! Yes, I heard that the P09131 was carrying the "Sierra Hotel" on it's rear from WAS to TPA for the Super Bowl festivities. I wish I would have gotten a chance to see that consist!! Thanks again for the clarification and the consist observation.

Example, when Amtrak # 195 hits CSX it is P195XX.

I saw the Southbound Crescent Yesterday and it was shorter than I've ever seen it, It was down to two P42's, Baggage, 1 almost empty Viewliner, Diner, Cafe, and 3 coaches, 2 of which were empty. I assume it is simply because of limited operation south of ATL and the lack of the ability to make return trips South of ATL Mon-Thur. I hope this doesn't become normal. I also don't understand why they can still funnel 30-40 freights through south of ATL Mon-Thur but not Amtrak? I'm sure there are delays, but even a delay up to 4hrs is preferred to no train at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back