Point accrual with etickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heading North

Service Attendant
I've noticed that generally, the rise of etickets has meant that my points post faster. But, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with point accruals in cases where the etickets aren't actually scanned. IIRC, with paper tickets, you needed the ticket to be lifted in order to get points. Is the same true now?

Last weekend, I traveled on the Silver Meteor in sleeper, and showed the car attendant my tickets when boarding, expecting the conductor to walk by soon as well. He didn't. During dinner, the conductor walked by the table to ask what room I was in, because he was "looking for me"; I told him, and flashed my ticket, which he said was unnecessary. Is it possible that I was "checked in" without being scanned? Points haven't posted yet.

I ask because I'm close to the S+ threshold and would much rather not need an expensive points run--and I still have to wait a while to request missing points from this trip (and hope that that works out for the best, if necessary).

I was in sleeper last year, and the conductor came by while I was at dinner. I was told later that my presence on the train had been electronically entered when the SCA told the conductor I was there. I know this must have happened because:

1. My reservation for the connection was not cancelled, and I know that if you aren't listed as having boarded, subsequent segments of your trip "may" be cancelled.
  2. The points did post to my account.
So anyway, I know it's possible for it to happen that way, and I would like to hear how it works out for you. YMMV.

It is possible that you were checked in by your attendant as described above. It is actually likely. As some have found out, it is possible to be checked in without even being on the train...though to be fair, that isn't supposed to happen.

I've had my ticket "pulled" a few times without entry then and there. Once the conductor asked for my name and just wrote it down. The point posted a few days later. Another time I entered on the (reserved) San Joaquin on the way to Emeryville from Richmond. The conductor got out and yelled from a car length "you going to Emeryville?" where I nodded and dragged my kid and a stroller inside. I tracked the conductor on the way out at Emeryville, telling him I wanted the points to post. He said he already did it for us, since we were the only scheduled passengers at Richmond.

Back