Point Penalty on Trip Changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C&O RR

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I just modified a reservation. Orginial trip was booked under the new system for 22,391 points

I modidied the travel date at a point cost of 17,743.

So I thought the refund penalty was 10% of the points going back to the account (22,391-17,743=4648)

which equals 464.8 points.

This was not my case, my penalty was 10% of 22,391 :angry:

It should be! Did you cancel the original reservation and later rebook, or did you modify it with the same agent? :huh:

If it was modified, I would call AGR and have that corrected. Ask for a Supervisor if necessary.

There have been reports at Flyertalk that AGR considers any "modification" as a cancelation and rebook. Thus, when AGR says the penalty is "10% of the points returned to your account," they seem to feel that, even with a simple change, all the points of the original reservation are first returned to your account, the penalty is applied, then the points are withdrawn for the new reservation. If AGR is actually doing it that way, that is a pretty punitive change fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
If AGR is actually doing it that way, that is a pretty punitive change fee.
Aren't airline policies even more so? Some charge a minimum of $100 for any change - even if the fare is less! IOW you forfeit the whole thing. Sun Country my most recent experience.
The point, I think, is not to get your points from you but to discourage you from making changes.

If AGR is actually doing it that way, that is a pretty punitive change fee.
Aren't airline policies even more so? Some charge a minimum of $100 for any change - even if the fare is less! IOW you forfeit the whole thing. Sun Country my most recent experience. The point, I think, is not to get your points from you but to discourage you from making changes.
When it comes to punitive anti-consumer behavior, wherever US airlines go Amtrak is sure to follow.

I've made two changes so far. One was the exact same booking, but it had gone down significantly in cost and points and I was charged 10% of the difference. The second was an even exchange from one date to another and I was charged nothing. So for me, at least, it's been exactly as advertised.

So, is there some official clarification from Amtrak anywhere on this point or is it just our speculation from various inconsistent experiences? Yes, I know already that the byword at Amtrak is inconsistency but it would be nice to know, at least, that that is the bottom line and 'hang up and call back' is the answer - although one might not know that one has gotten the wrong result until it is too late.

Can someone ask Amtrak Insider on Flyertalk, please, for a clarification? I do not have an account on Flyertalk and cannot post messages.

John: It's Free to Register and use the AGR Forum on Flyer Talk so you can post and PM others including AGR Insider ( Anthony).

It's moderated by another long time AUer, Alan B, check it out!.

John: It's Free to Register and use the AGR Forum on Flyer Talk so you can post and PM others including AGR Insider ( Anthony).

AGR Insider has not posted on Flyertalk in nearly five months (since the day after AGR 2.0 launched). I'm not sure of his status at FT.

AGR Insider has not posted on Flyertalk in nearly five months (since the day after AGR 2.0 launched).
I'm sure that's just a random coincidence. <_<

AGR Insider has not posted on Flyertalk in nearly five months (since the day after AGR 2.0 launched).
I'm sure that's just a random coincidence. <_<
Or he is too embarrassed about what was "promised" vs what was delivered when 2.0 finally came.

Back