Points expiring??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
Whoa-- when I read the TaC, it said:

When do my points expire?
Remaining points will expire if you do not travel on Amtrak for 36 months.
I assumed that meant that as long as I traveled on a regular basis, which i of course do, my points would never expire, at least not the rail points. But today I logged into my account and every point, including my sign up points and everything from 36 months and before are gone--

I assumed that meant that as long as I traveled on a regular basis, which i of course do, my points would never expire, at least not the rail points. But today I logged into my account and every point, including my sign up points and everything from 36 months and before are gone--
Very weird. A quick check of my AGR account shows travel, shopping, and bonus points going back to my initial signup bonus on 12/05/02. You should contact AGR about this, as it sounds like you're the victim of a database error.

your rail points expire yearly. All other points should only expire IF you haven't traveled using your membership number

Yes, the "Rail Points" display is confusingly named (it should be "rail points YTD" or "rail points that count towards status") - you still have the points, they just don't count for your status for 2010.

Yes, the "Rail Points" display is confusingly named (it should be "rail points YTD" or "rail points that count towards status") - you still have the points, they just don't count for your status for 2010.

No thats not the issue.

I had about 6000 total points last month when I last checked.

This month I only have 3660!

No thats not the issue.

I had about 6000 total points last month when I last checked.

This month I only have 3660!
I've never noticed my total points go down over the six years I've had an AGR account. While it's not inconceivable that the number has gone down at some point and I just didn't notice it, I'm pretty sure it's never happened for me. So ALC_Rail_Writer, I'm pretty sure this is a glitch on AGR's end of things and that you should call them.

Yeah, it is confusing.

For me, it says

Total points: 57,xxxRail Points: 0
But that is because I haven't traveled yet in 2009. The rail points are only counted from January 1 to December 31 of each year. But the total points are the balance of all points in your account. (Including rail travel, bonuses and partner transactions.)

As long as you travel on Amtrak once every 36 months - even a $3 one way trip :p - the 36 month clock starts again!

All of my account activity since Jan of 08.... I had a trip in June of 07, my first with AGR, and it is totally gone...as are the signup bonus points from that same month.
Change the start date to something in 2000 and then you should see ALL of your activity. Do you see a deduction somewhere?

Is it possible you have two AGR accounts?

All of my account activity since Jan of 08.... I had a trip in June of 07, my first with AGR, and it is totally gone...as are the signup bonus points from that same month.
Change the start date to something in 2000 and then you should see ALL of your activity. Do you see a deduction somewhere?

Is it possible you have two AGR accounts?
I am not stupid. I went back as far as I have the account. The points given for my very first trips aren't even there. I know I was, hell, I even have ticket stubs that I use as bookmarks around here--

I'll just call them tomorrow.

Good Luck, ALC. I hope you can get this fixed. At one time, I received some bonus points that I did not earn and a few days later, the points were taken back, but there was a transaction that showed the points being taken back. I would think that if you reached some threshold on inactivity, there would be a transaction that show them being reduced.

I hope you are successful in getting your points restored.

Good Luck, ALC. I hope you can get this fixed. At one time, I received some bonus points that I did not earn and a few days later, the points were taken back, but there was a transaction that showed the points being taken back. I would think that if you reached some threshold on inactivity, there would be a transaction that show them being reduced.I hope you are successful in getting your points restored.
I agree with the above, there should have been a transaction to take the points back if they had somehow expired, which they can't. The missing history indicates some computer glitch, as I can see my history all the way back to when the program started and I joined up within the first week or so.

Good Luck, ALC. I hope you can get this fixed. At one time, I received some bonus points that I did not earn and a few days later, the points were taken back, but there was a transaction that showed the points being taken back. I would think that if you reached some threshold on inactivity, there would be a transaction that show them being reduced.I hope you are successful in getting your points restored.
I agree with the above, there should have been a transaction to take the points back if they had somehow expired, which they can't. The missing history indicates some computer glitch, as I can see my history all the way back to when the program started and I joined up within the first week or so.
I called, and you would be correct. They say that there must be a computer glitch because my signup points are missing as well. Obviously anybdoy who has signed up for AGR would have those points... and they are missing from my account.

They spent about 10 minutes going over computers and found a record that showed my missing points and promised to restore my account within a few days. They apologized profusely and couldn't really give me a satisfactory explanation... I told them to chalk it up to computers and just be happy we found all the points.

I called, and you would be correct. They say that there must be a computer glitch because my signup points are missing as well. Obviously anybdoy who has signed up for AGR would have those points... and they are missing from my account.

They spent about 10 minutes going over computers and found a record that showed my missing points and promised to restore my account within a few days. They apologized profusely and couldn't really give me a satisfactory explanation... I told them to chalk it up to computers and just be happy we found all the points.
I learned a long time ago, if you can't find the answer to a problem, blame it on the computer!! :p

AKLC, I'm happy to hear that your points were found and will be re-credited to your account. Happy traveling.

Back