Points Purchase Limit is Raised (but price per point increased)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hessjm

OBS Chief
Honored Member
I received an email for another 30% bonus period through July 12, additionally it announced that the annual limit is now 15,000 points per year. I don't believe this is targeted since I'm SE and the normal limit does not apply.

The email indicates for those who have already purchased 10,000 points now may buy the additional 5,000 points!

Do bonus points count? (i.e. I bought 13,000 via the offer - can I now buy 5,000; or only 2,000?)

EDIT: I got as far as entering the credit card info even if I choose the 15,000 option in the dropdown...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do bonus points count? (i.e. I bought 13,000 via the offer - can I now buy 5,000; or only 2,000?)

EDIT: I got as far as entering the credit card info even if I choose the 15,000 option in the dropdown...
Nope, you can buy 5,000 more points and you'll get a 20% Bonus, 1,000, for a total of 6,000 Points. Cost: $137.50

Nope, you can but 5,000 points and you'll get a 20% Bonus, 1,000, for a total of 6,000 Points. Cost: $137.50
Bought and went through. So now I have over 20,000 points, for $412.50 in purchases and ~$378 in Amtrak fare. Given that a two zone roomette can easily run over $1,000 (and that I didn't take any true points runs), I'd say that's a good deal!

woohoo-smiley-emoticon.gif
super-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif
woohoo-smiley-emoticon.gif

Just looked at the site - and it's NOT targeted! :) (At least I did not get any email.)

Better news is ifyoudid not buy any points this year yet, ANY amount of 10,000 to 15,000 points earns a 30% bonus! :D If you had previously bought 10,000 (not including bonuses), you can up 5,000 more but it will only earn a 20% bonus. :(

Just to be clear, the number of points you can get per year is limited to 15K (other than by travel and AGR purchases, credit card, etc)?

The reason I ask is that D4 bought 10K points this year. To increase her total, we can either buy another 5K (6K) points, or *I* can buy and transfer to her. However, the max per person, per year, is still 15K.

Right?

The previous change did not affect the redemption rate for roomettes. I usually travel in roomettes, and the rates were 15/20/35. Today the rates are 15/20/35. Thus it had no effect on me, or most of the other people in the sleeping car!

Well, hrmph. That would have saved me $50 (actually a little more, with the bonus) this week, by only needing to pay to transfer 5000 instead of 10000. Alas.

So I just got my 5000+1000 additional point via purchase.

The odd thing is that the point purchase web pages themselves seem to have no clue about how many points you have already purchased this year. They keep offering to sell you more even if you really cannot since you have maxed out for the year.

I noticed the same thing, and went ahead and tried to buy the full 15,000+bonus - I thought I had purchased points earlier this year, but figured I'd give it a shot. Only after the purchase tried to go through did it tell me that I was trying to purchase more than the limit. So I purchased the 5,000+bonus instead.

The price to buy points has gone up. Last time I looked it was $27.50 to buy 1000 points. Now it's $37.70. Even with the bonus, it is a much better deal doing point runs during double days for me. ELT-HAR $11.04 R/T 450 points with my select status. Unless there is that 50 percent bonus no matter how many points you buy, I'll wait until September when Double Days return.

Oh! Yes, the price has gone up. 10,000 points is now $377, not the $275 it was last week. Or, in fact, this morning when I went to look in response to this thread. !

Well, isn't that special.

It's now 3.7¢ per point.

$377 in points will get you a roomette to...nowhere.

But, a roomette CHI to EMY is over $1000 in June.

It would be nice to combine points and cash (like I did for a 4 day stay in DC using United Rewards).

I really like the cash and points thing at both United and Hilton Honors.

Well, isn't that special.

It's now 3.7¢ per point.

$377 in points will get you a roomette to...nowhere.

But, a roomette CHI to EMY is over $1000 in June.

It would be nice to combine points and cash (like I did for a 4 day stay in DC using United Rewards).

Back