Points/voucher question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russman

Train Attendant
My husband and I each have around 14,000 points....we also have a voucher for buy one get one free travel which I know must be redeemed at a station. We are trying to figure out a way to use both the points and the voucher to get us and our two children from Red Wing, MN to Seattle RT on the EB. Should I use the voucher for one parent and one child, and points for the other parent and child? Or use the voucher for the two adults as the children's tickets are half price and use points for them? If I did the latter, can I purchase two children's tickets with points without an adult ticket? Can my husband and I combine our points? Thanks in advance for any input! This is my first time using AGR.

#1 - Welcome to AU!
hi.gif

#2 - While it is true that children fares are 1/2 with a PAID adult fare, an AGR award for a child costs the same amount of points as an adult award!

#3 - If your children are under 4'9", may I suggest you consider redeeming for a family bedroom!
excl.gif
It will be 30,000 points one way, but it does include rail fare for all 4 of you, the room with 4 beds (2 "adult" sized and 2 less than 4'9" long) and 3 meals a day for all 4 of you!

#4 - Yes, you can combine points from your accounts - for a fee! But you can each buy up to 10,000 points per CALENDAR year. (Remember that 12/31/11 and 1/1/12 are different calendar years!
happy.gif
) You can also gift points to others. And right now, there is a promotion that give you a 50% bonus!
cool.gif
(Purchase 10,000 and get 15,000 points!)

Enjoy your trip!

Thank-you so much! I took your advice, merged our points, and got the family bedroom. We are REALLY looking forward to our first trip in a sleeper car!

#1 - Welcome to AU!
hi.gif

#2 - While it is true that children fares are 1/2 with a PAID adult fare, an AGR award for a child costs the same amount of points as an adult award!

#3 - If your children are under 4'9", may I suggest you consider redeeming for a family bedroom!
excl.gif
It will be 30,000 points one way, but it does include rail fare for all 4 of you, the room with 4 beds (2 "adult" sized and 2 less than 4'9" long) and 3 meals a day for all 4 of you!

#4 - Yes, you can combine points from your accounts - for a fee! But you can each buy up to 10,000 points per CALENDAR year. (Remember that 12/31/11 and 1/1/12 are different calendar years!
happy.gif
) You can also gift points to others. And right now, there is a promotion that give you a 50% bonus!
cool.gif
(Purchase 10,000 and get 15,000 points!)

Enjoy your trip!

Back