Police Officer Saves Woman from Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She's one of the lucky few and it sounds like she is getting the help she needs!

Depression is real and perhaps leads to injury and death on railroads more than youthful bravado, stupidity or substance abuse!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the officer save the woman from the train or from herself?

Also, I wish people would stop assuming every suicidal person was sick. Sometimes life CAN be so miserable that the reasonable and logical decision is to end it- although I do wish people had more options to do it that don't affect people not involved with their lives.

Also, I wish people would stop assuming every suicidal person was sick. Sometimes life CAN be so miserable that the reasonable and logical decision is to end it- although I do wish people had more options to do it that don't affect people not involved with their lives.
The officer put himself in harms way to remove the suicidal woman from iminent hazard.

If one would consider that a failure of homeostasis is a sickness, then the partial definition from Mirriam-Webster applies "... the process of maintaining a stable psychological state in the individual under varying psychological pressures..." then suicidal actions are a symptom of being sick. Your "rational suicide" scenario also implies an overwhelming terminal underlying illness, so that person is also by definition sick, though they may be choosing suicide as the final stage of an unrelated progressive illness.

Nonesense. If all your life is misery- no friends, few people who care, no happiness ever, no chance of improvement- you do not consider it sane to want to end your misery

It's very easy to talk about misery being a sickness when you yourself are happy.

From the train. Let's not look into this more than what it is. Cop pulled her from the train. Did not administer psychological or psychiatric counseling (so far as we know from the articles).

It will take more to save her from herself.

Nonesense. If all your life is misery- no friends, few people who care, no happiness ever, no chance of improvement- you do not consider it sane to want to end your misery

It's very easy to talk about misery being a sickness when you yourself are happy.
Is it nonsense? Sometimes the feeling that there is no chance of improvement, the perception that you have no friends, or people who care, is simply that - a perception. Suicide is often (and I'm not saying always) a very selfish form of manipulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a great job by Officer Morales. If for no other reason than to spare that train crew from living with what would have otherwise happened. There is a chance that the woman will recover, but even if she ends it all by another method, at least that crew won't have to live with it.

Depression is a horrible thing, but suicide by train or by cop is pretty pathetic. Because then the person committing suicide drags an innocent person into their pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back