Possibility of a third track in Kingston, RI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon02852

Train Attendant
Tomorrow, June 6th, consultants will be meeting with Amtrak employees to discuss the possibility of adding a third rail in Kingston, RI. This rail would allow Northeast Regionals to get out of the way of high-speed Acelas that travel through the Kingston area at 150 miles per hour.

I met the two consultants about an hour ago at Kingston Station and they discussed some of the details about the third rail implementation. Starting a little bit north of the station, the third rail would branch off of the southbound rail. It would continue underneath the Route 138 bridge, run parallel to the station for about two miles and then rejoin the southbound rail. To allow northbound trains to access this third rail, a new high-speed switch would be added a couple miles south of the station.

It is apparent that the schedule of the Acela Express is of vital importance to Amtrak. This third rail running through Kingston will keep the Acela on-time and help in maintaining smooth rail service in the Northeast Corridor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't RI granted HSR funding for this third track at KIN in the last few years? I believe the plan is to essentially turn the existing southbound/westbound platform into an island platform. My understanding is that this is a prerequisite to extending MBTA/RIDOT commuter rail service to KIN (not that such service would be implemented immediately upon completion of this project).

Wasn't RI granted HSR funding for this third track at KIN in the last few years? I believe the plan is to essentially turn the existing southbound/westbound platform into an island platform. My understanding is that this is a prerequisite to extending MBTA/RIDOT commuter rail service to KIN (not that such service would be implemented immediately upon completion of this project).
Based on what the consultants told me today, this is NOT a prerequisite to extending MBTA service. I believe that he did mention that RIDOT would use it.

I go to Kingston station every day to watch trains, so I will gladly keep this thread up to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, RI was granted $25 million last year from the re-allocation of the FL HSR funds for 2 miles of 3rd track at Kingston, the construction of 2 high-level platforms, and related improvements. One of the platforms becomes an island platform so the platforms access all 3 tracks. So this is not a "possibility", but a project that is fully funded. The 3rd track and high level platforms should trim trip times for both the Acela and Regionals. Any trip time and bottleneck improvement on the NYP-BOS segment is welcome.

Yes, RI was granted $25 million last year from the re-allocation of the FL HSR funds for 2 miles of 3rd track at Kingston, the construction of 2 high-level platforms, and related improvements. One of the platforms becomes an island platform so the platforms access all 3 tracks. So this is not a "possibility", but a project that is fully funded. The 3rd track and high level platforms should trim trip times for both the Acela and Regionals. Any trip time and bottleneck improvement on the NYP-BOS segment is welcome.
See this thread: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/42817-kingston-ri-waste/

I go to Kingston station every day to watch trains
Sounds like the_traveler! :lol:

I thought the new rails were being installed to accommodate the

train with the Penthouse Suite for the_traveler!!

Yup. Old news. It is fully funded and it will happen.
You seem very certain that this in fact WILL happen. From what I heard the consultants say yesterday, the whole idea is still "up in the air" so to speak. The meeting they are having with Amtrak is a private one, but they said that there will be public hearings to discuss the implementation at a later date.

I'll keep everybody informed about the developments.

Yup. Old news. It is fully funded and it will happen.
You seem very certain that this in fact WILL happen. From what I heard the consultants say yesterday, the whole idea is still "up in the air" so to speak. The meeting they are having with Amtrak is a private one, but they said that there will be public hearings to discuss the implementation at a later date.

I'll keep everybody informed about the developments.
Well either it will happen or they will have the pleasure of returning the entire amount to the feds. It is not like they can decide to not do it and keep the money. It is "will" in that sense only. Of course there is no telling what will actually come out of any of this. Typically these public hearings at this stage are more to work out the details than to decide whether it will be built or not.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I go to Kingston station every day to watch trains
THIS HERE TOWN'S NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR BOTH OF US!
laugh.gif

I do not know much about the NEC so I have a question. I know Acela and Northeast Regionials run on overhead wires. How will a third rail allow a Northeast Regional to go anywhere? Is there some switch of power somewhere?

I do not know much about the NEC so I have a question. I know Acela and Northeast Regionials run on overhead wires. How will a third rail allow a Northeast Regional to go anywhere? Is there some switch of power somewhere?
They will put up new poles and wiring on the third rail.

Okay, I think I understand now. They are adding a third railLINE. Not an actual electrified third rail. "Third rail" usually means an electrified third rail.

Okay, I think I understand now. They are adding a third railLINE. Not an actual electrified third rail. "Third rail" usually means an electrified third rail.
Oh yeah, sorry about that ambiguity. I meant a third track, not a third rail that is usually associated with subway systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back