Possible High Speed Upgrade article from West MI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There would have to be an Amtrak/CSX connection north of New Buffalo, which the article doesn't mention.

There is something off here...the track that the Pere Marquette uses through Bangor, MO is CSX, not Amtrak. Previous grants to add tracks to CSX in NY and VA are still in limbo.

Awesome! I hope it happens.

This is my favorite comment from an Einstein (emphasis is mine) :

Didn't I read that this "high speed " train will hardly go any faster than it does now ? Lets throw a few more million at it , so 27 poor people can visit one or the other end of this line .

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/03/grand_rapids_could_get_in_on_h.html The link to an article in todays Grand Rapids Press about possible high speed upgrade to the Pere Marquette from GRR to CHI.
The article didn't mention it (I don't think), but presumably this means a connecting track east of New Buffalo between the ex-Michigan Central and CSX. I think there's been talk of that in the past.
It was rather foggy on details. I found a press release from the city of New Buffalo, MI that states two goals in their Tiger Grant:

1. Design of a connection track between the Amtrak-owned corridor and CSX at New Buffalo, Michigan.2.Extension of the Dowagiac, Michigan siding to the Niles, Michigan siding, a distance of approximately ten miles.
Also,

[t]his $70,802,753 project requests $56,642,202 in grant funds to supplement $14,160,551 in matching funds provided by MDOT.
The link:City of New Buffalo. It is actually on their homepage, I did not realize that when I began this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back