Possible to de-board at earlier station? and more

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonLPK

Service Attendant
Thanks to our first ride on National Train Day, we're in the process of making reservations again :) [i wonder how many others will ride again, every person in our group from that day wants to experience Amtrak again, so National Train Day worked for us!]

Our closest station ELY doesn't check baggage, so we were thinking of boarding at CLE because we're riding the LSL in the middle of the night and it might be a hassle getting on with misc carry-on baggage at our station. However, on the Capitol Limited coming home, the baggage situation is a little more passenger-friendly and I don't think we'd need to check the baggage.

Couple of questions then:

~ If we get round trip tickets from CLE to/back CHI, is it okay to get off one stop earlier at ELY on the way home if we don't check the baggage?

~ On the Capitol Limited coming home, we would be subject to carry-on size regulations, correct, to be able to use the baggage bins on the lower level of the train?

Thanks in advance!

It's entirely permissable to deboard at an earlier stop. I've done it myself in one instance. Just make sure to let the attendant know so they are aware of what you are planning. I don't know about the Capitol Limited, but most car attendants don't pay that much attention to luggage size, as long as it isn't monstrously oversized. Always, of course, best to ask if you're unsure whether your luggage meets the size criteria.

We ride the LSL and Capitol often between CLE and CHI. Yes it is a hassle boarding the westbound LSL at 3:30am with lots of baggage. People trying to sleep and us trying to get bags in the rack without waking them. Is best to check anything but your small carry-ons to Chicago.

JayPea is correct that the Capitol is a better deal with large storage areas on the lower floor, so much easier to put the larger bags there. I think weight is more of a factor than size, although we have never had a problem with heavy luggage on the Capitol. As long as you can tote it on board and put it in the rack, there should be no problem. :rolleyes:

Also no problem getting off in Elyria but as stated, let the car attendant know so he can place the ELY ticket about your seat instead of CLE. That way the conductor will remind you to get off if you drift off to sleep on your slumberride across the Midwest. :)

Have a great time!

Leaving CLE next weekend on the LSL\SWC for SAN. Yahoo!!

Railroad & Mrs. Bill :p

Thanks very much for those quick and helpful responses!

Railroad Bill, one more question for you since I note you are from my area :) Do you leave your car at the CLE station without worry? I don't think I would leave a car at ELY for more than a 1-day trip <!!> but if leaving one at CLE for a few days is standard, then I might forego having someone take us/meet us at the 'interesting' times that the train goes through our area!

Amtrak really dosen't sell "round trip" tickets, you just buy each direction and put it together for a round trip, so you could save a little bit of money and avoid any potential confusion buy buying tickets CLE-CHI on the way out and CHI-ELY on the way back!

SharonLPK,

Yes, we leave our car in the CLE lot and have had no problems. Have left it there for 2 weeks at a time and so far everything o.k. The gates are locked when the station is closed 1PM-9:30PM and the lot is well lit. Since the area where the station is located is a bit difficult to find (by passengers as well as potential thieves :p ) it seems there is little non-Amtrak traffic.

The agent told us that since the gates, fence and locks were installed several years ago, there havent been any problems. Still dont leave anything interesting on the car seats while you are gone.

On our first trip out West we had friends take us to the Sandusky station but we didnt want to impose upon them at such an early hour to deliver and pick us up. No way would I leave a car at Sandusky or Elyria for more than a day or so. The trip for us to CLE is about the same as to Sandusky and at 2am no need to worry about Rush Hour traffic :rolleyes:

Have a fun trip!!

Railroad and Mrs. Bill

Thanks, here's one more question :)

If I buy a ticket to board at CLE and decide at the last minute to sleep an extra hour or more and board at ELY (depending on final luggage situation), will I be allowed?

I too have left a vehicle many times at the Cleveland station without a single problem. Well one time coming back from DC a year ago when a blizzard was coming off the lake. It took 20 minutes to get the snow and ice off. I am surprised that they still shut the gate though. The last time I looked, it appeared it was in too bad of a shape to close it.

Enjoy your trip.

If I buy a ticket to board at CLE and decide at the last minute to sleep an extra hour or more and board at ELY (depending on final luggage situation), will I be allowed?
No problem! Amtrak will gladly take your extra money! :D You may find your conductor being concerned that you actally paid too much!

You can always board the train a stop or two after the station you're ticketed from, or leave early from the train, (assuming it costs less), but you can not board earlier or depart later than your ticket states! (Example: If you're ticketed from Cleveland, you could not board in Erie but you could board in Sandusky.) The only problem is that if you have a sleeper, they may sell it as an onboard upgrade, because you did not show and the room was available.

No problem! Amtrak will gladly take your extra money! :D You may find your conductor being concerned that you actally paid too much!

You can always board the train a stop or two after the station you're ticketed from, or leave early from the train, (assuming it costs less), but you can not board earlier or depart later than your ticket states! (Example: If you're ticketed from Cleveland, you could not board in Erie but you could board in Sandusky.) The only problem is that if you have a sleeper, they may sell it as an onboard upgrade, because you did not show and the room was available.
THanks, I hope this topic is helpful to others also!

I suppose for security's sake, checked baggage must get on the train the same time as the passenger? Otherwise I could check the baggage when the station opened at 9, while holding the CLE - CHI ticket, then go home and be able to sleep and not worry about getting up so much earlier to drive to the earlier departure from CLE while only 20mins from ELY...?...! [darn departure times from this area!!!] LOL

I suppose for security's sake, checked baggage must get on the train the same time as the passenger? Otherwise I could check the baggage when the station opened at 9, while holding the CLE - CHI ticket, then go home and be able to sleep and not worry about getting up so much earlier to drive to the earlier departure from CLE while only 20mins from ELY...?...! [darn departure times from this area!!!] LOL
Not really.

Depending on how you look at it, either good or bad, most trains on the NEC do not carry passengers locally between NYP and WAS, however you could check a bag between them. The only thing is you may depart at 10 AM, get there at noon, but your bag may not get there until 6 PM, having to go on a LD train that carries checked baggage!

Another example is from NYP to ALB. There are numerous trains a day, but only the LSL carries checked baggage. You may arrive at 10 AM, but your bag may not arrive until evening, and you would have to return to the station to get it. (Of course, you could always carry it on yourself!)

Not really.

Depending on how you look at it, either good or bad, most trains on the NEC do not carry passengers locally between NYP and WAS, however you could check a bag between them. The only thing is you may depart at 10 AM, get there at noon, but your bag may not get there until 6 PM, having to go on a LD train that carries checked baggage!

Another example is from NYP to ALB. There are numerous trains a day, but only the LSL carries checked baggage. You may arrive at 10 AM, but your bag may not arrive until evening, and you would have to return to the station to get it. (Of course, you could always carry it on yourself!)
Well I think I understand what you are saying.. in this case, though, we would be on the last train going through CLE, so at worst case our baggage might go out on the earlier train> unless they held the luggage until entirely the next day...?

How carefully do they check removal of checked baggage from the CHI station anyway, making sure the actual owner is picking it up? I know when flying, it varies greatly depending on the specific airport!

Well I think I understand what you are saying.. in this case, though, we would be on the last train going through CLE, so at worst case our baggage might go out on the earlier train> unless they held the luggage until entirely the next day...?
How carefully do they check removal of checked baggage from the CHI station anyway, making sure the actual owner is picking it up? I know when flying, it varies greatly depending on the specific airport!
I can't speak specifically about CHI (as I never used it), but it also depends on the station. At NYP, you give the agent your claim check and they get the bag for you. At DEN when I was there, you picked up your bag, but they checked your claim check. At GJT, SLC and RNO, I took my bag off the cart outside (But I think they verified the ticket).

And yes, depending on when you check it in, your bag could be sent on an earlier train.

My experience at CHI is there is an agent in the baggage room who checks that you have your bag after you take it off the carousel. You can't get out the door without being checked.

Not really.

At Chicago (and also Washington DC, the other place where I used the checked baggage) the bags appear on a carousel like an airport, but I had to give in the claim check I was given when I checked the bag before I could take it out of the baggage reclaim area, and the attendand checked that it was for the bag I was taking.

In contrast, all the airports I've used there's really nothing to stop you grabbing the wrong bag.

Thanks again everyone for all this great information! I did make the CLE-CHI reservations and will fine-tune what I actually decide to do as we get closer to the date :) Seems like there are alot of possibilities, my main concerns are getting some/any sleep before we leave and having baggage there when we arrive haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back