Possible to get separate tickets connected for California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be risky to book.a connection from cleaveland to Chicago with a five hour layover separately? There were options to get from cleaveland to chicago for the California zephyr on the same ticket, but I no longer see that option despite the individual rides still being scheduled. Would it be possible to get them connected somehow if I were to book them separately?

Not sure I fully understand your question. What points are you actually traveling between? Cleveland and where?

Not all intermediate points on a given run are entered for connections. Every single connecting city pair has to be manually entered in Arrow, it isn't done algorithmically. Not all of them have been, particularly smaller stations.

If Cleveland and wherever along the CZ route don't come up, use the Multi-City option to book Cleveland-Chicago and Chicago-wherever as two segments on one reservation. You want them to be on the same reservation, not separate tickets. That way the guaranteed connection policy is sure to be in place.

The connection is guaranteed between both the Lake Shore Limited and the Capitol Limited and the California Zephyr.

Last edited:
There's no "connecting" separate reservations in any sense that an automated system will recognize. The best that can be done is for an agent to add a text comment to each reservation, but that will only mean something if someone happens to look them up. Rarely would anyone at Amtrak have a reason to look up individual passenger reservation records.

There's no "connecting" separate reservations in any sense that an automated system will recognize. The best that can be done is for an agent to add a text comment to each reservation, but that will only mean something if someone happens to look them up. Rarely would anyone at Amtrak have a reason to look up individual passenger reservation records.
Absolutely true. Just use multi-city and put it one rezzie.

Back