POU-NYP-JAX / Silver Meteor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyegor

Train Attendant
Any tips, tricks, things to look out for, etc. on the Silver Service? I've done a few LD trips before but always in the Roomette. Taking coach this time around. All my prior coach trips have either been commuting or day trips. Thanks for the input.

P.S. If anyone happens to be on the southbound Meteor on Sat. 3/1 and would like to share a coffee etc. just let me know. See ya then.

Nah - it'll be a long trip, but totally doable. Stick to the staples - eyecovers, earplugs, neck pillow for the most comfort during the night.

Usually close to on time. Usually pretty straight forward.

Thanks. Kind of what I figured.

BTW: What do you guys think about having a scanner in coach, assuming the normal volume/ear bud etiquette? Will the on board staff mind? Put them on guard? No reason to upset anyone for a little radio entertainment.

They shouldn't care what you listen to - I've carried my scanner and no problems. Always used headsets. I usually keep it hidden to reduce the geek affect amongst other passengers. But then, I pull out my cell phone which, when I have a signal, is mirrored to my desktop running ATCS at home and tracking the progress on the dispatcher display...

Ack.

Last question, hopefully. I'm going to be buying the tickets last minute, hopefully late this afternoon for this coming weekend. Both routes work for me getting into JAX. Any difference or preference between the Star and the Meteor?

Same kind of Equipment ,(the Meteor usually carries One More Viewliner) same Food etc. The Biggest difference is the Times, the Star Leaves NYP @ 11:02 AM/Arrives into JAX @ 6:55AM. (if on time you'd have to eat Very Early and have a rushed Breakfast if you are Eating in the Diner) The Meteor Leaves NYP @ 3:15PM and Arrives into JAX @ 9:23AM.

They run the same Route as far South as Far as Rocky Mount, NC, then the Star takes a more Western Route through the Carolinas as far as Savanah, GA. while the Meteor runs closer to the Coast as far as Savanah. then resumes the same Route to JAX ! Since it's Dark and you'll be asleep, no great difference in Scenery!

All things considered. I'd go with the one with the Cheapest Fare since you a re riding in Coach (same thing if youw ere in a Sleeper) but if they are Comparable I'd say take the Meteor, it's not as Rushed and gets you into JAX at a Better Time!

Thanks Jim. Those were my thoughts exactly. The fares are very close so I figured I would ask just in case.

As has been suggested, bring earplugs and an eye mask if light bothers you at night. Also the pillow and a blanket as coach tends to get cool at night especially this time of year even in the south. Sit back and enjoy the ride. I will be on the Silver Service in early April.

Thanks June. I'm looking forward to purchasing the new(ish) Passenger Comfort Kits from the Cafe/Lounge. Are these generally available or no? Darn, that is another question.

Comfort Kits are generally available. If you know you want to buy one I'd head for the lounge shortly after they open for service to make sure you can get one.

Thanks Batt. Do you ever see Johnny or Roy around the station? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thanks June. I'm looking forward to purchasing the new(ish) Passenger Comfort Kits from the Cafe/Lounge. Are these generally available or no? Darn, that is another question.
You might prefer to take your Own Travel/Camper Pillow and Cheap Fleece Blanket and Good Earplugs, and if needed a Sleep Mask! The stuff in the Passenger Comfort Kits is OK, but Cheap, lots of People throw them away at the End of their Trip and it's Not a Guarantee that they'll have them on the Train!

Also try to get a Window Seat near the Middle of the Car(Smoother Ride and No Doors Opening/Closing All Night), its easier to sleep when you can Lean against the Wall! A Red Cap @ NYP is Worth a $5 Investment to beat the Thundering Heard to the Train and get a Choice Seat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Batt. Do you ever see Johnny or Roy around the station? Sorry, couldn't resist.
::rim shot::

I'm impressed though not many people get the reference. I do like that Chicago Fire is paying a bit of homage to the show though.

I know that the pillow is a cheap blow up type vinyl neck pillow. even with a cover on it, I can't sleep on vinyl or plastic, so I always get either a small microbead pillow or a cheap standard pillow for around 4 bucks at walmart. I prefer fleece to the scratchy blanket that they give you, but that is just my choice. I can get a soft blanket and a regular pillow for less than what they are charging for the comfort kit. I have brought a cheap eye mask and ear plugs too.

Edited to add: Also, one VERY important thing to remember, as soon as you find where you want to sit, MAKE SURE THE LEG REST WORKS. The majority of them do, but you will be very sorry if you get one that won't stay up to support your legs for the night. If you or anyone is not aware, the leg rest comes up manually by hand and goes down bu the bottom button on the arm rest.

Also, I agree with jimhudson to get the window seat, I love watching out the window and being able to lean on the window to sleep.

Jim & June,

Thanks for the tips. I've never bothered with a Red Cap but you're right, it may be worth it. Never would have thought about double checking the foot rest. Excellent idea.

Just wanted to close out this thread. I completed the trip with only minor hiccups. Won't do a full trip report but a couple things did come up. Apparently somewhere during my southbound journey (either at POU or NYP) the conductor's equip failed to properly scan and/or transmit my ticket data. While I received credit in AGR the ticketing system lifted my return trip as a "no show'. This caused some consternation from a conductor trying to board a sold out, overbooked, late running train on my way back from JAX. It was eventually resolved though, so good for Amtrak.

Likewise, on the return trip on the Meteor out of JAX, I was faced with a less than pleasant coach attendant when I asked if reservations were still being taken for the dinner car. By the following morning however, she was doing a great job and was very pleasant and professional. We all have bad days I guess.

Another good trip all around.

P.S. Never occurred to me how much an increase in passenger traffic Amtrak sees during spring break; at least on the East Coast.

P.S. Never occurred to me how much an increase in passenger traffic Amtrak sees during spring break; at least on the East Coast.
Yes, and Amtrak appears to respond appropriately: the Lynchburger ran with a ninth coach for several days at the beginning and end of spring break. The Cardinal had heavier loads from Charlottesville too. Seems like I saw an extra coach once but I can't swear to it. #50 has been running on time or close to it for the last week or so with meets at Afton VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back