power outlets in bedrooms?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cp

Will there be a *functional* power outlet in the TxEagle bedroom?

Thanks!

Can't see why not :)

the Acela Express trains don't have working outlets right now, but I don't know of any issues on the Superliners.

I'd recommend bringing a surge protector, but you really shouldn't have an issue with the outlets in the bedrooms working.

Thanks. I really like the idea of a surge protector. Do you believe that it will be safe to leave my laptop in the room when I go to the rest. car, or should I take it with me?

cp said:
Thanks. I really like the idea of a surge protector. Do you believe that it will be safe to leave my laptop in the room when I go to the rest. car, or should I take it with me?
It's safe, but I don't usually leave it out in plain site. I'll throw a pillow over mine, and then close the curtain before leaving the room. That assumes that I haven't returned it to it's normal case.

The outlets in our room on the Capitol liminted on 6/28-6/29 were INOP. One of the few minor complaints I had about the overall trip.

The outlets in our room on the Capitol liminted on 6/28-6/29 were INOP. One of the few minor complaints I had about the overall trip.
Did you mention it to your attendant? Sometimes it's just a tripped breaker.
To amend that just a tad, when the power outlets in the rooms and/or restrooms are not working, it's usually a Ground Fault Breaker that's tripped, not one of the regular breakers. Neither are passenger-accessible, but you can let your TA know about the problem & ask him/her to check the Ground Fault Breaker. Tell them an old TA sent you!

Never hesitant to bring anything like this to the attention of your TA in coach or sleeper. They may not be able to fix it, but they surely can't fix it if they don't know about it.

Never hesitant to bring anything like this to the attention of your TA in coach or sleeper. They may not be able to fix it, but they surely can't fix it if they don't know about it.
And they can't add it to the car's report list if they don't know about it. If it doesn't get on the list because they can't fix it, then no one in the yard knows to fix it either.

One of my gripes is being partially addressed, that is regarding original Superliner bedroom outlets. Many cell phone rechargers will not fit in the outlet without you bringing a spacer or extension cord with you. The socket is slightly recessed. On the later early 90's Superliner sleepers and subsequent rebuilds this problem was corrected by moving the outlet farther out from the panel, but not every car has this yet. Coach cars do not have any outlets at all except the one cleaning crews use to plug in the vacuum cleaner at terminals. Unless you happen to get the lounge car attendant to allow you to use his space, you are pretty much outta luck in coach.

Remember Amtrak's equipment was designed in the 70's and '80's before everyone had so much electronic gear. There is only one outlet per room, whereas most passengers have at least a cell phone, laptop and/or video player, as well as camera, hair dryers and other personal appliances that need to be recharged or plugged in. Future equipment orders hopefully will have multiplexed outlets in the sleeping cars, as well as more outlets in coach.

Here is a hint...the voltage regulation is generally pretty good, but if you have the option, do not plug the camera, phone, or other equipment directly into the 120 VAC. Bring two batteries for switching in and out while one is on charge. Take the active battery out of the device, use a separate charger to plug into the wall. There is a possibility that one battery will fail or you will not be able to get it charged but if you have a spare, you will still be in business.

One of my gripes is being partially addressed, that is regarding original Superliner bedroom outlets. Many cell phone rechargers will not fit in the outlet without you bringing a spacer or extension cord with you. The socket is slightly recessed.
Aloha

Software grr

I was writing about what I use, when my system started an update.

I have a short extension, 1 foot, called a liberator, used for not blockin power strips with the usual oversise wall warts. works beautifuly with recessed or seat blocked outlets, like coach. I also use a surge protector on electronics, sometimes even a small UPS, if I expect a lot of use or nee the external hard drive while traveling.

What I meant to add also was that a battery can take a lot more abuse from bad voltage regulation than the innards of a digital camera or other sensitive equipment. My original camera recharger cord plugged directly into the camera, and of course it got fried. After that I got a separate battery recharger, and I like that better anyway, because the camera is not tied up plugged into the wall. Same thing can be done with other equipment, except that many times the equipment forgets some of its settings when the batteries are taken out and replaced. So, it's a trade off of convenience vs. being extra cautious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back