Pre-assigned seating and check in on Cascades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl1459

Lead Service Attendant
There have been several threads recently with questions about assigned seating on Cascades.

Having taken a short jaunt (PDX to TAC, train 516) on Friday 17, I can authoritativley state that seats were assigned at check in on that train.

The train was nearly full, so this practice may be only for full trains. The conductors had a rather novel and efficient way of doing it... They had printed a full list of car#-seat#s on lable paper, and simply stuck the seat assignment on a standard boarding pass (with traditional handwritten destination code). En-route they appeard to have a plan to re-assign seats as they became vacant (my seat had a different color boarding pass added before I detrained).

They also did not open all doors at all stops. I presume this was a consideration in seat assignment.

They do check-in at the major stations, SEA, PDX, VAC for all Cascades trains.
In PDX the practice seems standard for n/b departures but not as standard for s/b departures, which typically

have a much smaller passenger load.

The "label" system has been around for awhile. When you say "boarding pass" do you mean "seat check"?

Because with e-ticketing many people won't have a paper "boarding pass" and certainly don't want to have a

label stuck to the screen of their smartphone. :giggle:

They do check-in at the major stations, SEA, PDX, VAC for all Cascades trains.
In PDX the practice seems standard for n/b departures but not as standard for s/b departures, which typically

have a much smaller passenger load.

The "label" system has been around for awhile. When you say "boarding pass" do you mean "seat check"?

Because with e-ticketing many people won't have a paper "boarding pass" and certainly don't want to have a

label stuck to the screen of their smartphone. :giggle:
I have never been on Amtrak trains where you have to "check-in" first.... how do you know that you have to check-in?

Yes I mean the "seat check"... Amtrak personal ARE calling them "boarding passes". As to being around for a while... just shows I dont travel enough (lol).

At PDX and SEA there are podiums which have signs "Cascade Check In", "Coast Starlight Coach Check In", etc. LAX also has a "Coast Starlight Coach Check In". Sleeper check in is handled in the Metro lounge (PDX) and as of last Dec the TRAX lounge (LAX).

They set up a podium that is labeled "Coach Check-in"/"Business Class Check-in" or something similar. It's usually pretty obvious. The check-in is never at the ticket counter, but usually at or near the train gates. It only takes place at larger stations, although not all of those.

It seems like for the most part stations that have passengers in a queue are stations where there is a crew change/servicing occurring. I would imagine because of the amount of activity at these stations they want the hand off to happen between inbound and outbound crew as well as passengers de-training to happen before the new passengers flood out on to the platform.

It would make a world of difference if someone could hire a 14-year-old to create a simple program to assign seats at the time tickets are purchased...no muss, no fuss...no conductors playing "Barney Badass" either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back