Pre boarding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

offroad437

Service Attendant
I know it is not possible at most stations, but can you request preboard at origin if you need time to get on. Ie: disabled???

Yes normally this is done, but I would ask anyway. If there is Red Cap service at the station, i would use it! :excl: They may even get you to the platform/traIn before it arrives! (When I take 66 from WAS, it arrives from VA and the Red Cap gets me to the plarform before the train even comes! :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
When you book the trip, select disabled passenger. You will then be asked if you need assistance. Say yes. It should then be on their manifest and on your ticket that you need assistance. But it's always a good idea to ask ahead of time to be sure the assistance is available.

I know on the Regionals, they will announcing boarding for Business Class and Disabled first. Upon hearing such, just cut in front of the Coach Class line. The "gate keeper" will check your ticket to confirm BC, or I guess just obviously see that you are disabled, and let you thru.

One time at LAUS, the Red Cap took us out to the platform before the train was there. He put us in the spot where our sleeper would be...and he was right on!

I would expect that any staffed station would have arrangements for boarding disabled passengers. At my home station, Richmond, VA, the Station Agent, who doubles as the Red Cap, takes those needing special assistance out to the train in a golf cart well before the general boarding announcement.

It would be best to arrive a bit earlier than the 30 minute suggested minimum and speak directly with the appropriate person. If you are willing to share the station where you will be boarding there may be some members and guests who know the process there and can share some details. There are some pretty smart and savvy travelers that hang around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back