Preboarding from CHI Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debmep

Train Attendant
Our return trip in a few weeks, has us coming back on the SWC into Chicago. From the previous question posted about the Metropolitan Lounge I understand that if time allows we are allowed to enter the lounge as we were in a roomette. We connect with the Pere Marquette to GRR. Would we get special boarding from the Lounge or is that option just for first class passengers on long distance trains? In past trips we would be in the regular lounge area standing in line with everyone else as soon as the correct track & doorway is posted. I certainly dont want to have to scurry from the Metropolitan Lounge down into the big waiting room to board after everyone else has been let on., or end up at the back of the line.

Probably not. The train would be announced in the lounge. But you might end up at the back of the line. The employees in the Chicago lounge tend to be clueless about communicating with the gate gate agents in order to coordinate pre boarding.

Normally, you would have to go to the main waiting room to board, after being in the Lounge. They will announce it in the Lounge if they know you are waiting. But why not just ask for a Red Cap from the Lounge - best $ spent for pre-boarding, saving a walk and not waiting in the bull pen!

Go for the Red Cap. It is worth the investment to be taxied out to your train usually well before the general boarding begins, giving you the chance to find seats and settle in before everyone else arrives.

The other poster's are correct, ask for a Redcap, it'l be the best $5 (or whatever you tip) you've spent when it comes to transportation. Normally the Redcap will pre-board you, directly from the Lounge area.

I boarded an all coach train in October from the lounge. I had to keep an eye on the departure board and as time got close we had to walk out to the main boarding area. Now, once there, if you are a senior, disabled, have small children with you or are in business class, they will board you first. If not, it is first come first served. The line up usually starts early.

If you are boarding coach, from the lounge, on a train that has sleeper service than you are allowed to board with the sleeper passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back