Pricing of Rooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still say that putting higher prices on fares way out early makes riders look elsewhere if they are priced out of the trip, and those customers will not come back, after finding alternate transport. They will assume Amtrak's pricing is ALWAYS too high.

Those of us here who are aware of the idiosyncrasies of the fares might wait to make our plans, Joe and Joan Sixpack will simply book another form of travel. Lost customers...forever.
As long as demand generally outstrips the very limited (and pretty much fixed) supply of sleeping accomodations, that, frankly, does not matter much. People who are willing to pay more are taking the place of those who do not, and Amtrak's revenues increase. Maximizing return on assets (whether sleeping cars or airplanes) is the only sensible course for any business, and especially so for Amtrak. Results will show whether they are doing it right, and based on the info in AlanB's post, they are.
And I have skin in the game, too. I won't use Amtrak when prices are in the upper buckets even though it is by far my preferred mode of transportation, so I do get priced out. But I don't think that Amtrak should reduce its revenues so I can ride at a comfortable price. If they can get it, more power to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still say that putting higher prices on fares way out early makes riders look elsewhere if they are priced out of the trip, and those customers will not come back, after finding alternate transport. They will assume Amtrak's pricing is ALWAYS too high.

Those of us here who are aware of the idiosyncrasies of the fares might wait to make our plans, Joe and Joan Sixpack will simply book another form of travel. Lost customers...forever.
As long as demand generally outstrips the very limited (and pretty much fixed) supply of sleeping accomodations, that, frankly, does not matter much. People who are willing to pay more are taking the place of those who do not, and Amtrak's revenues increase. Maximizing return on assets (whether sleeping cars or airplanes) is the only sensible course for any business, and especially so for Amtrak. Results will show whether they are doing it right, and based on the info in AlanB's post, they are.
And I have skin in the game, too. I won't use Amtrak when prices are in the upper buckets even though it is by far my preferred mode of transportation, so I do get priced out. But I don't think that Amtrak should reduce its revenues so I can ride at a comfortable price. If they can get it, more power to them.
Oh, I do agree with you. As of now, there seems to be people who are willing to pay the higher bucket prices. My point is that when those folks are gone, who will replace them? And how do you "grow" ridership like that?

Oh, I do agree with you. As of now, there seems to be people who are willing to pay the higher bucket prices. My point is that when those folks are gone, who will replace them? And how do you "grow" ridership like that?
More sleeper cars. Then, Amtrak can lower prices and still increase revenue (by having higher volume).

Unfortunately, some craziness appears to have delayed the new Viewliners again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back