Problems with SWC 4 (3/21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATSFNewton

Train Attendant
What's up with the SWC 4? One day on time, next day huge delays. Today over 8 hrs late. Looks like the problems are in CA but not clear. Any knowledge on this?

4 (23) doesn't leave LA for several hours yet.

4 (21) is 8.5 hours late as of today but was only some 2 hrs late to Kingman yesterday morning and has been losing time steadily since.

4 (22) is currently ontime.

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/history.php?train_num=4&station=kng&date_start=02%2F21%2F2017&date_end=03%2F23%2F2017&df1=1&df2=1&df3=1&df4=1&df5=1&df6=1&df7=1&sort=schAr&sort_dir=DESC&co=gt&limit_mins=&dfon=1

Shows #4 only being at most 1 hr 58 minutes late to Kingman, AZ in the last month.

On 3/9 #4 was almost 10 hrs late to CHI. Next worse as on 3/15 - 3 hrs 31 minutes late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the thread highjack, but I have a question that is somewhat relevant. I will be taking the #4 SWC in may from LAX to CHI, arrive at 3:15pm in CHI. And I will be departing CHI on the CL at 6:45pm. What is amtraks policy if you miss a train becuase of another train being late?

They will probably bus you from GBB or something or put you in a motel for a night, if you're in a sleeper. Not sure about coach.

Make sure you buy the connection in one purchase (not multi-city), which makes it a "guaranteed connection". Otherwise, it's not their responsibility.

They will probably bus you from GBB or something or put you in a motel for a night, if you're in a sleeper. Not sure about coach.

Make sure you buy the connection in one purchase (not multi-city), which makes it a "guaranteed connection". Otherwise, it's not their responsibility.
I do have a sleeper, both arriving and departing. But oops, I did not book my trip as a single connection. Maybe I can call amtrak to modify my reservation.

It is my understanding that you would indeed still have a guaranteed connection if you booked a multi-city itinerary on the same reservation.

It is my understanding that you would indeed still have a guaranteed connection if you booked a multi-city itinerary on the same reservation.
I got my reservations changed around so that my SWC route into chicago is on the same reservation as my CL connection. So at least my connection is gaurunteed now.

Amtrak and BNSF have been doing a lot of trackwork around that area. Putting in wielded rail and new ties insuring that the Chief will keep using the route.

Back