Pulling the Emergency Break After Missing your Stop?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Texas Eagle about 7-8 years ago, we hit a tire that was set inbetween the rails on our track. It knocked out an air hose which immediately stopped our train. Not a loud, crashing, stop, but a very fast and steady deceleration. Half the folks sleeping never even stirred. But had someone been inbetween cars, it could have been tragic.
I do not understand. What would have happened to someone in between cars?
Gotten a nasty bruise, broken a bone, moderate injury. Hardly "tragic".
If the emergency brake application causes a derailment, something that can happen, someone in between cars could very easily be ejected or crushed, either of which could lead to their being killed.

A few years ago when the Auto Train derailed, not because of an emergency brake application, at least one (if not two) of the fatalities were people who were passing between cars when the accident happened.

On the Texas Eagle about 7-8 years ago, we hit a tire that was set inbetween the rails on our track. It knocked out an air hose which immediately stopped our train. Not a loud, crashing, stop, but a very fast and steady deceleration. Half the folks sleeping never even stirred. But had someone been inbetween cars, it could have been tragic.
If the emergency brake application causes a derailment, something that can happen, someone in between cars could very easily be ejected or crushed, either of which could lead to their being killed.

A few years ago when the Auto Train derailed, not because of an emergency brake application, at least one (if not two) of the fatalities were people who were passing between cars when the accident happened.
I'm aware Alan, but the OP was not talking about an E-brake. They were talking about what sounds like an automatic application of brakes after an air pressure malfunction caused by a tire. To me it sounds tike perhaps the computers detected a malfunction in the air hose and shut down the mortors and/or applied the dynamic brakes.

I'm aware Alan, but the OP was not talking about an E-brake. They were talking about what sounds like an automatic application of brakes after an air pressure malfunction caused by a tire. To me it sounds tike perhaps the computers detected a malfunction in the air hose and shut down the mortors and/or applied the dynamic brakes.
Knocking out an air hose is an E-Brake application. About the only thing that might be different between the engineer hitting the kill button and dropping an air hose is that the engines dynamic brakes might not kick in with a broken air hose. And I'm not positive about that either, I don't know how the computer reacts in that case.

But otherwise a broken or disconnected air hose causes an emergency brake application. That's the entire point of how the system works, is that an interruption of air pressure applies the brakes.

I understand if there were a derailment, but VentureForth said about their experience on the TE that had someone been in between cars it could have been tragic. I was just curious if something happened in particular during that incident that would have made between cars particularly dangerous. I would think standing anywhere on a train during an emergency stop could be dangerous, just did not understand why VentureForth felt being between cars would have been even more so during the TE incident.

Knocking out an air hose is an E-Brake application. About the only thing that might be different between the engineer hitting the kill button and dropping an air hose is that the engines dynamic brakes might not kick in with a broken air hose. And I'm not positive about that either, I don't know how the computer reacts in that case.

But otherwise a broken or disconnected air hose causes an emergency brake application. That's the entire point of how the system works, is that an interruption of air pressure applies the brakes.
Well the description I read, and you read-- did not sound like an E-brake application. I don't remember ever hearing about a train having a rapid deceleration from speed that didn't make any noise or whatnot. IF this was an E-brake application or an engineer hitting the kill switch then the train was not at speed.

Point is: going 60 mph and killing the train you're going to notice it if you remember it when your car gets blown off the line...

Now heres a question I've been thinking of. When the handle is pulled is there some way for the engineer or conductor to no which handle activated the brake? Does this vary by the type of car?
No...the engineer does not have a screen to show where a "big-hole" occurs. The conductor just might be able to tell if the handle is still in the down position after having been pulled.

Now heres a question I've been thinking of. When the handle is pulled is there some way for the engineer or conductor to no which handle activated the brake? Does this vary by the type of car?
No...the engineer does not have a screen to show where a "big-hole" occurs. The conductor just might be able to tell if the handle is still in the down position after having been pulled.
Oh wow okay thanks I wasn't sure if it has a sensor like the doors in commuter cars do. So they can't tell car 6 back of the car E-Brake pulled. Although I'm not sure what that data would do to help.

Oh wow okay thanks I wasn't sure if it has a sensor like the doors in commuter cars do. So they can't tell car 6 back of the car E-Brake pulled. Although I'm not sure what that data would do to help.
Well you hit on a subject that the freight RR's would love to have the answer to. If a 150 car freight train goes into emergency with just a conductor and engineer on the head end it would certainly help the crew in their efforts to get rolling again if they knew just where the problem is located. We had done some research on this for haz-mat handling to determine if an emergency application was caused by a derailment (which could require protective equipment) or train line failure. The RR's backed out when the costs went up when they discovered that every freight engine might have to be equipped with protective equipment.

Here's another dumb question - when you pull the handle doesn't it open a dump valve that then has to be manually closed? Wouldn't the position of that dump valve tell you where the handle was pulled?

It wouldn't help you find the problem in the freight example above, but once you find the problem, it may assist in finding the dumba-s pax that pulled the handle, no?

Here's another dumb question - when you pull the handle doesn't it open a dump valve that then has to be manually closed? Wouldn't the position of that dump valve tell you where the handle was pulled?
It wouldn't help you find the problem in the freight example above, but once you find the problem, it may assist in finding the dumba-s pax that pulled the handle, no?
If they reset the handle nobody will know the difference.

Well you hit on a subject that the freight RR's would love to have the answer to. If a 150 car freight train goes into emergency with just a conductor and engineer on the head end it would certainly help the crew in their efforts to get rolling again if they knew just where the problem is located. We had done some research on this for haz-mat handling to determine if an emergency application was caused by a derailment (which could require protective equipment) or train line failure. The RR's backed out when the costs went up when they discovered that every freight engine might have to be equipped with protective equipment.
:lol: Of course the cost out stopped the solution from arriving I agree though that its silly to have info for everything except where a train went into Emergency.

:lol: Of course the cost out stopped the solution from arriving I agree though that its silly to have info for everything except where a train went into Emergency.
On more modern trains were the emergency handle is often just an electrical switch which breaks the continuity of the brake control circuit, its very easy to have that displayed on an in cab display panel.

On older stuff were you are just basically putting a hole in a pipe when you pull the handle it is a lot harder to display that information to the driver. On some of the trains I work on then the air left in the system vents through whistle device so you can at least hear what car has been activated.

I'll need to do some research, but I seem to recall being surprised during my training or job experience on the Alaska Railroad that there was some special procedure to reset one of these emergency brake handles/valves or something, such that there is evidence left behind of which one was pulled.

And Neil, stop bragging about your modern trains! :p Some of the freight railroads here are indeed working on implementing ECP brakes, which are activated by an electric circuit rather than trainline reduction in pressure. Slow going, though, and currently limited to unit trains where the train makeup is rarely altered.

And Neil, stop bragging about your modern trains! :p Some of the freight railroads here are indeed working on implementing ECP brakes, which are activated by an electric circuit rather than trainline reduction in pressure. Slow going, though, and currently limited to unit trains where the train makeup is rarely altered.
UP is currently running one such train as a test project. So far everything that I'm hearing is positive.

I can't find one thing silly about knowing that this a leaking chlorine car in the downtown of a major city.

UP is currently running one such train as a test project. So far everything that I'm hearing is positive.
Yes, but this is coal service trains that seldom get busted up or switched out. The engineers love them because the brakes set up and release much like an automobile not like the old ways where each car released in turn like a stack of dominoes.

Yes, but this is coal service trains that seldom get busted up or switched out. The engineers love them because the brakes set up and release much like an automobile not like the old ways where each car released in turn like a stack of dominoes.
Actually the train that I was referring to was an intermodel train that runs between LA and Texas. It just got a small write up in the January 2009 Trains.

I had this happen on New Jersey Transit a few months ago when someone pulled the emergency stop and we bypassed the next station and at the following station the person was taken off the train by local police.

Yesterday, I was traveling back from Chicago for the weekend when we were suddenly brought to a stop after Wisconsin Dells. It turned out someone missed their stop and took the liberty of pulling the emergency break. We came to a stop. They opened the door and got off without getting caught. The engineer and conductors were pretty ticked, but after a brief track/train inspection we continued on our way. Anyone else lucky enough to witness one of these suddent stops?

Actually the train that I was referring to was an intermodel train that runs between LA and Texas. It just got a small write up in the January 2009 Trains.
I asked my son, who worked at UP Houston yards (until recently). about this train and he said there was no regular train with these brakes that operated on a daily basis. Must have been a test run. I'll see where it is now but I suspect the Chicago-LA corridor will be the next proving ground.

I had this happen on New Jersey Transit a few months ago when someone pulled the emergency stop and we bypassed the next station and at the following station the person was taken off the train by local police.

Yesterday, I was traveling back from Chicago for the weekend when we were suddenly brought to a stop after Wisconsin Dells. It turned out someone missed their stop and took the liberty of pulling the emergency break. We came to a stop. They opened the door and got off without getting caught. The engineer and conductors were pretty ticked, but after a brief track/train inspection we continued on our way. Anyone else lucky enough to witness one of these suddent stops?
You might as well speed through Hazzard County at 100 mph plus as opposed to pulling the air on ANY train. It is a Federal offense to interfere with interstate commerce and there are a few people in Federal prisons regretting their one pull on the handle.

I asked my son, who worked at UP Houston yards (until recently). about this train and he said there was no regular train with these brakes that operated on a daily basis. Must have been a test run. I'll see where it is now but I suspect the Chicago-LA corridor will be the next proving ground.
I am 100% WRONG and Alan is 100% right as usual. Too bad I don't have a fez~ I'd have to eat it. I STUPIDLY ASSumed the train Alan was referring to would run to Houston's Englewood Yard. Wrong, brake shoe breathe!#$%^& The trains do run to FORT WORTH. Now, I'm going into the closet with a bag of Oreos and a gallon of milk. I'm not coming out until the end of October!#$%^&*( :ph34r: :ph34r:

I am 100% WRONG and Alan is 100% right as usual. Too bad I don't have a fez~ I'd have to eat it. I STUPIDLY ASSumed the train Alan was referring to would run to Houston's Englewood Yard. Wrong, brake shoe breathe!#$%^& The trains do run to FORT WORTH. Now, I'm going into the closet with a bag of Oreos and a gallon of milk. I'm not coming out until the end of October!#$%^&*( :ph34r: :ph34r:
IIRC NS has 6-7 coal trainsets that they use ECP brakes on, I think the hold-up on conversion is pulling an entire set including locomotives for retrofit.

"Now, I'm going into the closet with a bag of Oreos and a gallon of milk. I'm not coming out until the end of October!#$%^&*"

Do you have your computer with you in the closet?? Any Oreo's left? LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back