Push-Pull Conversion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSP_Train_Hopper

Train Attendant
I was looking at the OTOL fleet roster, and kept seeing that some cars were 'equipped for push-pull service.' I know what push-pull operation is, but what is physically different about these cars that makes them so? What would go wrong if a regular car was put on a push-pull route?

Thanks in advance!

I was looking at the OTOL fleet roster, and kept seeing that some cars were 'equipped for push-pull service.' I know what push-pull operation is, but what is physically different about these cars that makes them so? What would go wrong if a regular car was put on a push-pull route?

Thanks in advance!
A car equipped for "push-pull" has the necessary cabling and connectors to permit a cab car on the head end to communicate with a locomotive on the other end. Any train operating in push mode must have all the cars "push-pull" capable.

Ah, that makes sense! I was thinking it was something structural, but it's so obvious. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You will find these on the Heartland Flyer which now that the P-32 Bio-Diesel Tests are over, is running a P42 on both ends. When running with its normal consist of just 3 cars it always reminds me of the Push Me-Pull You critter from Dr. Dolittle :)

Someone here will know this, I'm sure. Is there a big difference between running in push vs. pull configuration? I'm sure there must be some differences -- but are they significant enough to require an operator to do things differently depending on where the locomotive is during a run?

Someone here will know this, I'm sure. Is there a big difference between running in push vs. pull configuration? I'm sure there must be some differences -- but are they significant enough to require an operator to do things differently depending on where the locomotive is during a run?

Not on a train as short as most push/pull trains, like the Heartland Flyer etc. Not enough slack in the train to make much of a difference.

Sometimes freights are pushed, though probably only for short distances. It's one of the few situations where you might still see a caboose in use (to allow crew members away from the engine to whistle for a grade crossing, for example).

Keystone Service runs push-pull. The cars are always set up that half the seats face one way and the other half of seats face the other direction. Between Harrisburg and Philadelphia it runs one direction but leaving Philadelphia to New York it runs the other direction. If you always want to ride forward, you must change seats in Philadelphia which is something I did not realize the first time I was on. The time I was on the Pennsylvanian, the seats run backwards out of New York. In In Philly, they changed engines from electric to diesel and you then went forward.

Not on a train as short as most push/pull trains, like the Heartland Flyer etc. Not enough slack in the train to make much of a difference.
Ah -- that's the answer, then. Thanks, Shortline!

Some trains operated in push-pull mode will appear to have two engines, but one will be a "dummy," on NPCU, with a control stand, horn, headlights, bell, etc., but no prime mover. Other trains will have an engine at one end only, with a cab car at the other. The cab car will look like an ordinary car, but have a control stand, headlights, horn, bell, etc., at the other to allow the engineer to operate the locomotive by remote control. Still other push-pull trains (like the Vermonter, I believe) will have an active engine at each end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back