Question about Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

busboy

Service Attendant
I'm flying into Chicago Ohare, spending the night at the airport Hilton. Next day I'm leaving on the Empire Builder. I see there is a subway train that goes to the airport. Can I take it all the way to someplace within walking distance of the Amtrak Station downtown? What stop would I get off and how long of a walk is it? I've looked at the Chicago metro map, it's of no help.

Thanks!!

I'm flying into Chicago Ohare, spending the night at the airport Hilton. Next day I'm leaving on the Empire Builder. I see there is a subway train that goes to the airport. Can I take it all the way to someplace within walking distance of the Amtrak Station downtown? What stop would I get off and how long of a walk is it? I've looked at the Chicago metro map, it's of no help.

Thanks!!
You can take the CTA Blue Line from O'Hare to Clinton (about 50 minutes). Union Station is two blocks north of the Clinton station.

Last edited by a moderator:
An alternative to the Blue Line is the Metra from the airport. The NCS line takes you into Union Station, but doesn't run as often as the CTA and a bit more of a hassle to get to. Take the inter-terminal train to the economy lot, then take a waiting shuttle bus to the Metra station.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no service on the Metra North Central Line on weekends, so that might complicate things. Blue LIne runs 24 hours a day. It's about a two block walk on Clinton from the CTA station to Union Station..

Personally, I wouldn't consider taking Metra from O'Hare to Union Station. The frequency, combined with the hassle of multiple shuttle connections, it's far more hassle than the Blue Line.

The last time I stayed in Chicago, I attended a conference at an airport hotel. I took the Blue Line from Clinton to O'Hare and on my return I did the reverse and it was a piece of cake. I think the most difficult portion was walking the stairs at the Clinton station with my luggage, but I managed.

The Blue Line station is practically in the basement of the airport Hilton--very convenient.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll just take the blue line to Clinton. As was noted, it's practically in the basement of the hotel so it will be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back