Question about connection on BOS-PGH trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stremba

Service Attendant
I was looking at a possible future round trip from my home in Pittsburgh to Boston South Station. On the return trip, I was looking at taking NER train 95 to connect with the westbound Pennsylvanian at PHL, which has (IIRC) a 47 minute layover. Assuming 95 is on time at NYP, it would arrive 30 minutes prior to the Pennsylvanian’s departure.

I understand that the NYP connection cannot be guaranteed, so I would have to book the PHL connection. Would Amtrak have an issue wit’s it if I got off at NYP and made my connection there? (Assuming, of course that 95 is on time and I am able to do so)

If the Pennsylvanian happens to be sold out north of Philly that would be an issue, and irrespective of that the Conductor may not be pleased to have what amounts to a ticketless passenger on board. They might wish to sell you a ticket for that segment on that train. The reservations are not arbitrarily transferable from one train to another without changing the ticket.

It is better to avoid that situation by at least getting the ticket changed in NYP, which of course may have an adverse effect on the fare. If it was me I being risk averse would probably not try it.

Thanks. I too am risk averse, which is why I asked. I have visions of 95 having mechanical problems or some other delay between NYP and PHL and having the Pennsylvanian pass me by.

That scenario is probably less likely than having ticketing issues by getting off early, so I probably will just connect at PHL and risk the delay on 95.

I believe the reason why they have the connection at PHL is because of the long dwell time there for the Pennsylvanian to switch from Electric to Diesel. I would strongly consider booking 2151 and transferring at NYP. That will give you 2 hours to connect and a much less stressful trip and a chance to check out the new train hall and Lounge at NYP.

Amtrak seems to be forcing a connection from 95-43 so you would have to book 2 separate tickets if you take 2151, but your connection should be protected if 2151 is late.

Also if 2151 is late you will have tons of time to make a connection at Washington with the Capitol Limited, which also serves Pittsburgh from Washington.

Amtrak seems to be forcing a connection from 95-43 so you would have to book 2 separate tickets if you take 2151, but your connection should be protected if 2151 is late.

Also if 2151 is late you will have tons of time to make a connection at Washington with the Capitol Limited, which also serves Pittsburgh from Washington.
You can actually get the Acela 2151 or 2153 and 43 on the same itinerary (and hence e-Ticket) by using the "Multi-City" option in the ticketing system.

Why not just book an additional NYP to PGH trip on the Pennsylvanian in case 95 is late?
If you're talking about BOS-PHL on 95 and NYP-PGH on 43, that's an impossible booking. Amtrak will cancel and refund one of the reservations.

I see no need to book a more expensive train to provide extra layover, especially with the mechanical issues the Acelas have been having. I'd just keep the connection at PHL.

Back