question about points and which train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sutton

I've got the magic 5,000 points, but will be traveling from Washington DC to Omaha. I see the Capital Lim. goes through Cincinatti, the border of that zone. So when I make the res, do I pay for the WAS-CIN part and then use the points to go free from CIN-OMA?

How does this work? Thanks so much for any help!

Scott

PS any recs as to Capital Lim or Cardinal? I could possibly also take the LSL from NYC.

The Capitol Limited doesn't go through Cinncinnati. It goes through Cleveland and Toledo. The Cardinal goes through Cinncinnati.

sutton said:
I've got the magic 5,000 points, but will be traveling from Washington DC to Omaha. I see the Capital Lim. goes through Cincinatti, the border of that zone. So when I make the res, do I pay for the WAS-CIN part and then use the points to go free from CIN-OMA? How does this work? Thanks so much for any help!

Scott

PS any recs as to Capital Lim or Cardinal? I could possibly also take the LSL from NYC.
You've got the idea correct, even though as rile42 pointed out, you've got the wrong train going through CIN. On the Capitol, the border would be Toledo.

Nonetheless, you would buy one ticket from DC to which ever city is the dividing line for the train you pick. The get an award ticket from that city to Omaha. You should however check to see, which half is cheaper and buy that ticket. Then use your points to get the higher priced half.

As for recomendations, it depends on when you're going to be traveling. If your trip is between late May and early July, then hands down the Cardinal wins since you should get to see the New River Gorge.

If you're traveling outside that window, then I'd probably opt for the Capitol Limited.

Bill Haithcoat said:
I am beginning to think I might incorporate the Cardinal into my plans.
In which direction is the scenery best?
Eastbound always guarantees seeing the gorge, unless you're running 6 or more hours late depending on the time of the year.

Westbound, the train hits the New River Gorge National Park area after dark, except for a few months during the summer. Even then, if you hit any delays, then all bets are off.

Thanks guys, for the thoughts. Good idea, Alan. I'll check which segment will be more expensive. Looks like I'll take a chance on the Cardinal, since there is a chance that in late June I'll see the gorge.

Back