Question about seating, rooms, and coaches...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OffIgo

Hello,

We'll be taking the train from Chicago to Buffalo this summer and even though its a night train, we'll have daylight for a few hours in the morning. I hear it goes along the lake and was wondering if you can request which side of the train your seats will be on? Especially on a viewliner room?

Also, if we went coach, is there such thing as a "quiet" car?

We experienced this in England, where riders really wanted a more peaceful ride without a hen party or a lot of loud chatter, crying babies etc. It was really nice! :)

Thanks for you help,

Cheers :)

If you are riding coach, they usually assign seats if the train is crowded. The left side (north side) of the train would have the best views of the lake and if the train is running late (which it usually is) you may be able to see some parts of the lake east of Cleveland and in parts of Pa near Erie and again in New York near Buffalo. But generally, the lake is not that close to the tracks and you need a good set of binoculars to see it.

And as mentioned, there is no quiet car on the LSL, but it is usually pretty quiet that time of the morning in coach. You can always go up to the cafe car for some peace and quiet.

We just rode the LSL from CLE to NYP and they were carrying a spare cafe car just ahead of the diner. It did not sell anything but was a nice place to sit and had few people other than a conductor sitting in it. We enjoyed the ride down the Hudson sitting in that car. Almost like having a Superliner Lounge car..

The coaches will be full and somewhat loud. Though the night passengers will get on and off. On my last trip from Erie to Chicago I had three different seatmates though the night. You will sleep better in a roomette. The only thing bad about getting one is the price. If you don't mind the long walk to the dinner and lounge car, the Boston section sleeper is cheaper. With a room all your meals in the dinner are included.

Although the train is called the Lake Shore Limited since it travels near the Great Lakes, the train normally doesn't travel within sight of the shore - unless you have a keen eye and look at the right time. As far as the location of the room (left side vs right side), since the sleeping car can face either direction, you will not know which side your room is on until you board.

I have taken the LSL from Chicago to New York many times, but always in a sleeper.

I strongly suggest that you consider a roomette or bedroom if possible. It will be dark

outside until you get east of Cleveland, but there aren't many places where you can

see the lake from the train. Have an enjoyable trip.

I found that there were obnoxious people yakking on their cellphones all night in some coaches... and not others. If you do go coach, and there are empty seats, don't be afraid to change what coach you're sitting in. Make sure you take your "seat check" with you.

I found that there were obnoxious people yakking on their cellphones all night in some coaches... and not others. If you do go coach, and there are empty seats, don't be afraid to change what coach you're sitting in. Make sure you take your "seat check" with you.
Just checking in on this... I didn't think you could switch coaches on your own. My impression was that you'd have to ask either the coach attendant or the conductor. I've noticed they like to load the coach cars with people going to the same station stop. Has this changed recently?

Just checking in on this... I didn't think you could switch coaches on your own. My impression was that you'd have to ask either the coach attendant or the conductor. I've noticed they like to load the coach cars with people going to the same station stop. Has this changed recently?
I know you're supposed to tell the attendant, and I would do so if I could find the attendant. At night, you probably won't be able to. The conductor doesn't *care*. If you can't find anyone, change coaches anyway. Sleep is too important. Also, their loading procedures are terrible and not particularly well thought-out on this train; they put me in an Amfleet I from Chicago to Syracuse once. Plenty of Amfleet IIs were platforming in Syracuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would do one od 2 things, get a roomette in the Boston Sleeper (reasonable rates in that sleeper but it is a long walk to the diner or lounge) If you go coach it does not matter much which side you sit on but if I recall the Hudson River is mostly on the left side going west/south. Have a great trip!

The only problem with this on the LSL is that the person changing seats had better make sure they stay in the NYP section of the train if they are going to anywhere between Albany and NYP or in the Boston section if they are going anywhere in Massachusetts. Telling people to change what coach you are in is not a good thing on trains that split. Plus just changing seats is not something that the car attendants enjoy, they keep track of their seats, especially on the LSL and if you change seats without asking, it will steam roll. The person who is assigned the seat you are sleeping in will sit somewhere else and so on causing confusion. If you are going to change, ask first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back