Question about the Disability Discount

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobility impaired customers are more or less stuck in one place, and can't enjoy the lounge, Pacific Parlour Car, other special services like dome cars, or the diner (though they can have meals delivered to their seat). That may be the basis for the discount. As mentioned above, the H room discount is because there's no accessible roomette.

Most US transit systems including Amtrak accept Medicare cards as proof of disability for the purpose of discounts.

Some transit systems (SF Muni comes to mind) require their own special card.

There seems to be some confusion around the terms "disabled" vs. "mobility impaired". People can be disabled and unable to work and collect SSI or SSDI for a wide variety of conditions including AIDS, epilepsy, personality disorders, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and chronic fatigue syndrome, none of which necessarily make them mobility impaired or even have anything apparently wrong with them to an untrained eye.

On the other hand, there are mobility impaired people who work full time and have no need to collect SSI or SSDI.

And obviously there are people who are both.

Amtrak is somewhat sensitive to this distinction because they offer both disability discounts and accessible rooms on different terms. Where they lack sensitivity to it is in their web site and quik-trak machines. A disabled person who is not mobility impaired has to call a reservations agent or go to a ticket agent and ask for the discount. The reservations agent always asks, "Do you need assistance boarding?"

I don't know if a discount is required. I would think that unlikely. As I mentioned before, there are many discounts available for Amtrak passengers in general.
I know for a fact that the disability discount has been around for around 20 years; maybe longer. The Federal law suit, brought on by a disabled pax, mandated an additional 15% discount that I think lasted 10 years and ended around 2000.

Because disabled individuals must use the H-room (because they can't physically use roomettes), they would be forced to pay the full bedroom fare. BY LAW, they must be offered the lowest cost type of room on the train, thus they pay roomette prices.

I just ran into the same thing for my 99 year old grandmother (and an attendant - ME!) when buying theater show tickets. The handicapped seats are in the most expensive section of the theater, but the rest of the family will be sitting in a mid-priced section. When I enquired, they told me that by law they must offer me the seats at whatever price-level I ask (equivalent to other seats in the theater). So I asked to pay the mid-priced level. I could have asked the lowest level, but since the theater is a non-profit, I didn't want to rook them out of too much money.

It's only fair!!! (or fare? :) )

Because disabled individuals must use the H-room (because they can't physically use roomettes), they would be forced to pay the full bedroom fare. BY LAW, they must be offered the lowest cost type of room on the train, thus they pay roomette prices.
I just ran into the same thing for my 99 year old grandmother (and an attendant - ME!) when buying theater show tickets. The handicapped seats are in the most expensive section of the theater, but the rest of the family will be sitting in a mid-priced section. When I enquired, they told me that by law they must offer me the seats at whatever price-level I ask (equivalent to other seats in the theater). So I asked to pay the mid-priced level. I could have asked the lowest level, but since the theater is a non-profit, I didn't want to rook them out of too much money.

It's only fair!!! (or fare? :) )
I was not aware that they are required to give a discount. I really don't see an issue with it though. Most (not all) that are disabled are on a fixed income anyway.

The H bedroom can be used by non disabled passengers according to the Amtrak website:

Who May Reserve Accessible Accommodations

Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers who are mobility impaired.

After this period, and if all other Deluxe and Family bedrooms have been reserved, accessible bedrooms are made available to all passengers on a first-come, first-served basis. For this reason, we urge you to make your reservations as far in advance of travel as possible.

I was not aware that they are required to give a discount. I really don't see an issue with it though. Most (not all) that are disabled are on a fixed income anyway. The H bedroom can be used by non disabled passengers according to the Amtrak website:
But the non disabled would have to pay for the room as a BEDROOM not a roomette

I was not aware that they are required to give a discount. I really don't see an issue with it though. Most (not all) that are disabled are on a fixed income anyway.
The issue is that Amtrak, an entity that we would like to see continue and that is in need of all the funding it can get, fails to receive the full fare from these passengers while possibly having to spend more resources to serve them and lose the possibility of selling a room to someone who would pay full fare.

Yes, Amtrak gives discounts to other groups, but those discounts are (hopefully) strategic and responsible: offer student discounts to hook college kids early and collect full fare from non-student companions; offer AARP discounts to maintain both the patronage and political support of that huge group; etc. Those are legitimate PR and marketing strategies.

So let's put it this way: it would be nice (and for all I know it is the case) if the Federal Government that mandates the discount would reimburse Amtrak for the difference every time it served a disabled person. Then the issue really would be moot from the point of view of Amtrak.

Was going to book my in-laws two roomettes on lower level of AT, but thought that the H room would be better, as dad-in-law is very frail, with Parkinson's, and has trouble walking. Silly question, but is H room on Superliner outfitted with Two Beds?

Believe it is, according to diagram, but have never used, so want to verify.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the H room has two beds, upper and lower similar to a roomette! The toliet is open with a curtain between the beds and the toliet!FWIW the upper bed is no easier to get into/out of than a roomette IMO! :eek:

Was going to book my in-laws two roomettes on lower level of AT, but thought that the H room would be better, as dad-in-law is very frail, with Parkinson's, and has trouble walking. Silly question, but is H room on Superliner outfitted with Two Beds?

Believe it is, according to diagram, but have never used, so want to verify.

Thanks.
It has upper and lower bunks like a roomette. They convert to seats and table, also like roomette. Although these rooms are often compared to bedrooms, my understanding is the lower bed is closer to roomette width than bedroom width.

The toilet has a grab bar.

Is your mother-in-law able to climb to upper bunk? "Stairs" are built in and it is a long last step to the top. There is no ladder. If not, you'll want a backup plan. Sleep on floor? Squeeze both into single bed? Curl up on toilet? Sleep in shifts?

Perhaps reserve H-room and nearby roomette instead of two roomettes? With disability, this would cost about the same as two roomettes. However, they'll be a little further apart as there is nothing but toilets and a shower in same area as H-room. There are roomettes down the hall on the same level, though.

I don't think either one of them is going to be "upper bunk" material, so I'll go ahead an reserve the H, and another lower level roomette.

Thanks all.

Yes, the H room has two beds, upper and lower similar to a roomette! The toliet is open with a curtain between the beds and the toliet!FWIW the upper bed is no easier to get into/out of than a roomette IMO! :eek:
I think that is the point, too often missed. The "H" room is a roomette equivalent, that has been modified to allow accommodation of a mobility handicapped passenger (and their guest). Due to the accommodations, the "H" room is larger than a regular roomette, but for a mobility handicapped passenger (and their guest), it is priced as a roomette.

Their guest is assumed to not need any accommodations, and can handle using the room as if it was a roomette (ie, climb into the upper bunk). If they too need similar accommodations, they need to request their own "H" room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their guest is assumed to not need any accommodations, and can handle using the room as if it was a roomette (ie, climb into the upper bunk). If they too need similar accommodations, they need to request their own "H" room.
Agreed. I think the assumption is the 2nd person is a nurse or attendant. Amtrak does not have facilities for two people with disabilities to travel together as those two H-rooms would be in different cars, with no way to get between them unless one person can do stairs. I have considerable mileage traveling with people "more" disabled than me, so have actually used all of those bizarre alternatives I listed earlier. I still found Amtrak to be easier than car or plane when I'm the one helping someone get dressed, or bathe, or eat, etc.

I agree that it sounds like you may need to either get the H-room and a roomette or two roomettes. The H-room would make it much easier if dad-in-law will need help actually using the facilities.

I will also say that the AT is probably one of the best trains for them to travel on, since the crews tend to be better than the norm on that train. They also see many more seniors than most of the other trains do and therefore are more used to having to provide extra assistance as needed.

Would I be eligible for the H Room? I was in a horrific truck accident 10 years ago which i broke my back in 2 places, neck in 1 place, both legs and ankles. although that has all healed up the best it can, I still have problems walking bending, climbing steps.and need to be close to a restroom at all times. Would I qualify for the H room discount? I have my Soc Sec Disability card with me at all times. along with my medicare card.

I am wondering if I qualify for the H room. A few years ago I was in a severe truck accident that left both of my legs broken, my neck broken in 2 places and my back broken along with my shoulder. I am on permanet desability now, I do carry a medicare card. Would i qualify for this room? Thank you

I am wondering if I qualify for the H room. A few years ago I was in a severe truck accident that left both of my legs broken, my neck broken in 2 places and my back broken along with my shoulder. I am on permanet desability now, I do carry a medicare card. Would i qualify for this room? Thank you
Usually, but not always, that room is reserved for mobility impaired, usually with wheelchairs or even walking cane. Only way to reserve the room is to call, not online. About two weeks prior to departure date, that room is up for available to anyone. Sounds like you're qualified for it. However, it wouldn't hurt for you call Amtrak customer service.

Handicapped rooms in Western long distance trains are located in lower level of double deck. To reach to other car, the only way is to access on upper level. However, the attendant will assist you with meals.

I am on permanet desability now, I do carry a medicare card. Would i qualify for this room? Thank you
My kid is permanently disabled, and has a medical assistance card. However, he is not mobility impaired so he would not IMHO qualify for the "H" room.

Do you have a handicap licence plate or rvm placard? While that too is not a guarantee, I believe they are only issued to those who are mobility disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back