question about voucher

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marylee

Train Attendant
This forum was very helpful with suggestions on my western loop last fall. I would like to use some more of your collective wisdom & experience. My friend & I will be leaving Denver on the CZ in late Sept. to go to NYC. To get the most variety on the trip I've planned to take the CL to DC and then the NER up to NYC. On the return route I'm planning on the LSL then the CZ to Denver. I have a voucher from a trip I wasn't able to make last year that should cover the first half of this trip. Is it now possible to call Amtrak to make the reservation using the voucher or do I have to go to a station? I live in Tulsa so calling would be nicer. Also should I make reservations at that time on the NER? I'm a little worried about the CL being on time for the connection that I want. Would it be better to just wait till we get to DC or maybe call for a reservation once we're sure the train isn't running late? If we did the call how would we get the ticket (I'm old fashioned and don't have a smart phone)?

Since so many of you suggested getting the Amtrak Mastercard for reward points - I did. I now have around 2300 points and I think I can use these for the second half of the trip. If I understand things correctly NYC to Denver is a 2 zone trip and a roomette on both the LSL & CZ would be 2000 points. Do I make reservations for this part of the trip at the same time as the first part or do I have to go somewhere else to use the points?

One more small question - one of the reasons we are going at this time is we hope to see autumn leaves. Is this something that might be or should we not count on it? Thanks for your help.

Don't want to burst your bubble but the two zone roomette is 20000 points. A 2 zone coach seat is 8000.

If you have a decent printer hooked to your computer, you can print out your own ticket from the email. The conductor can also enter your reservation number when you are on the train.

Your voucher can be handled at the ticket window in Denver before the CZ gets there.

You might do better seeing colorful leaves if you rode the Pennsylvanian from Pittsburgh through Philadelphia to get to NYP.

I hope you mean you have 23,000 (twenty-three-thousand) and not 2300 (twenty-three hundred) points, Roomettes start at 20,000, the numbers in your post are a 0 off.

You do mean 23,000 and 20,000, and not the 2,300 and 2,000 you typed correct? :huh: If so, those are correct. If the voucher is electronic, you just call Amtrak and you can redeem it and your ticket will be issued electronically. (You will also be emailed a copy and the QR code - your ticket.) If it is a paper voucher, you must redeem it at a staffed station.

One question - If you live in Tulsa, why are you starting in Denver? A voucher is good on any train, so why not start on the Heartland Flyer or Texas Eagle? Just wondering.

Yes, make all the reservations at once. As far as the foliage, I think late Sept is early for NYC, but it will be good farther upstate. However you pass thru there after dark. :( I'm not sure about PA, WV or MD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just cashed in a paper about your own book this trip this last week over the phone. I live more than a two hour drive from the nearest Amtrak station. This is the second time I've done this. Call the Amtrak number and make sure to ask for customer relations.

Sorry for the typing errors I'm using voice entry. What I meant to say in the first sentence was: I just cashed in a paper voucher on the phone.

Bit confused about all the new different vouchers and reward points, etc, but I notice that Amtrak has an option now on their website to part pay with a voucher and top up the total amount with a credit card if required. This may be just an e-voucher option, but would save dealing with an agent...

Ed :cool:

The current vouchers being issued are electronic vouchers, Ed. These can be redeemed on line as payment. (Just by typing in the number as you would a credit card number.) However, if you were issued a paper voucher, these can only be redeemed by turning that voucher in at a staffed station. (I believe Customer Relations has a policy where they can be mailed to them if you are not near a staffed station.)

It was unknown by the post what kind of voucher was had.

Yes, I meant 23,000 and not 2300. I was using my tablet and not my laptop and I don't type as well on it. I thought about taking the Pennsylvanian but we would have

to change trains so early and to me a big part of the enjoyment is relaxing. But I do want to ride that route someday. The reason we're starting out of Denver is because my friend lives in Denver and also I can then leave my car at her house without paying :) . And like I said - I'm old fashioned and I prefer talking to an real live person !! My original voucher was electronic but last fall when I was in Oregon I used it to buy a ticket from Portland to Seattle and what the station agent gave me was an "electronic exchange voucher". Both say that they are not redeemable online or over the phone. But I think Amtrak has changed that policy - right? So I think I'll try calling and see if that works. I'm a little nervous about the reward points - since I've haven't done that before but it's pretty straight forward so I shouldn't have any problems. Thank you all for your help. I really do enjoy this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back