Question on Regional 66 to Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meenie

Train Attendant
Are the Business seats in a separate car from the Coach Seats?

Yes. The business class seats - I believe - are always in a separate business class car from the coach seats on all of the routes on amtrak.

On the 66 you will often find what is referred to as the club/dinette car. These cars have 18 seats (IIRC) that are arranged in a 2-1 fashion and have nice calf rests and foot rests. The rest of the car is taken up the lounge on this train.

Yes. The business class seats - I believe - are always in a separate business class car from the coach seats on all of the routes on amtrak.

On the 66 you will often find what is referred to as the club/dinette car. These cars have 18 seats (IIRC) that are arranged in a 2-1 fashion and have nice calf rests and foot rests. The rest of the car is taken up the lounge on this train.
Oh, they're in with the cafe? How do you sleep?

Not very well! :lol: Actually BC has curtains on the windows and the cafe is seperated from the seating by a curtain! It's still way more comfortable than Coach on this run, the only NEC Train worth the extra $$ for BC in most peoples opinion! Just hope the insomniacs, cell phone addicts and drunks arent in BC, other than that the Looooooooong layover in NYP is the biggest PIA!!!

I rode 66 back in April and it was hard for me to sleep. But I did sleep. It was hard for me to sleep simply because I didn't have a sleeper and I was so happy to be on a train! But I had the BC seats and it was great!

How are the loads in the quiet car and coaches these days on 66/67? I understand it gets pretty crowded during the early morning commutes into BOS and WAS, but do folks generally have a seatpair to themselves at 3am?

How are the loads in the quiet car and coaches these days on 66/67? I understand it gets pretty crowded during the early morning commutes into BOS and WAS, but do folks generally have a seatpair to themselves at 3am?
Yes. The train is jammed packed. At least when I was on it. It seems that everyone wants to get to BOS early. But many people snore in the QC. At least that was what I was hearing when I walked the train when I was on it. Plus a older lady complained that I was being to loud in BC and that I had to be quiet. So it's not that quiet. You might be better off in BC.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I rode most people had a pair to themselves in the late night hours. Once the sun came up the train started to fill up and was full by the time we pulled into BOS.

Most times when I've rode 66 (& 67 too), I always had a pair of seats by myself most of the way. It does start to fill up in KIN, and by PVD it's packed!
ohmy.gif
That's because the next Amtrak train does not arrive until 10 or 11 AM!
ohmy.gif

MBTA does also run from PVD, but not from KIN!
sad.gif

My H commutes daily into BOS from PVD on 66 and that train is packed. Often the commuters will be forced to wake up people and ask them to move over if they are sleeping across two seats, because all of the seats are really needed on the commute into Boston. Sometimes I have meetings in BOS and ride in with him, but we can't ever find a seat pair together.

I'm just back from my trip to Boston on the 66 (going) and the 99 (coming back)

When I got on in Newport News, there weren't too many people on the 66 BC car. Since I was traveling alone, I chose one of the seats that were single. Since the BC seats that are double are separated by a raised bar with a drink holder, I didn't think it would help much for sleeping anyway and I prefer not to have a sleep mate snoring in my ear, hehe. The seat was much more comfy than the coach seats I'd had on the Cardinal when I went to INdiana. It did fill up as we got further down the line, though (and well before 3am). The only downfall was sharing the space with the cafe car - because they were constantly opening and closing the cabinets in there, bang, bang, bang.

They stopped at one station for an hour and I thought 'oh good, maybe I can get into some good sleep'... little did I know they were going to change engines - SLAM, CRASH, Bounce, rofl. Trains are always fun.

Unfortunately, coming back on the 99, BC was just another coach car that had been designated Business... not sure how they justify the extra price :( but hey, I did get a free soda, lol. the car behind us was the "quiet car" - a "library-like atmosphere' the conductor kept announcing. Sounded kinda boring, but no squawking kids I guess - we did have a lively toddler in our car (not sure why on a "business" car - but oh well - maybe she's the next Katie Couric or something, hehe.

I'm just back from my trip to Boston on the 66 (going) and the 99 (coming back)

When I got on in Newport News, there weren't too many people on the 66 BC car. Since I was traveling alone, I chose one of the seats that were single. Since the BC seats that are double are separated by a raised bar with a drink holder, I didn't think it would help much for sleeping anyway and I prefer not to have a sleep mate snoring in my ear, hehe. The seat was much more comfy than the coach seats I'd had on the Cardinal when I went to INdiana. It did fill up as we got further down the line, though (and well before 3am). The only downfall was sharing the space with the cafe car - because they were constantly opening and closing the cabinets in there, bang, bang, bang.

They stopped at one station for an hour and I thought 'oh good, maybe I can get into some good sleep'... little did I know they were going to change engines - SLAM, CRASH, Bounce, rofl. Trains are always fun.

Unfortunately, coming back on the 99, BC was just another coach car that had been designated Business... not sure how they justify the extra price :( but hey, I did get a free soda, lol. the car behind us was the "quiet car" - a "library-like atmosphere' the conductor kept announcing. Sounded kinda boring, but no squawking kids I guess - we did have a lively toddler in our car (not sure why on a "business" car - but oh well - maybe she's the next Katie Couric or something, hehe.
The QC is my best friend on short trips! Longer trips I don't like sitting in it. I'm afraid I'll fall asleep and miss PHL or RTE. Where I normally get off. It's perfect for those who hate cell phones and loud talkers!

99, BC was just another coach car that had been designated Business... not sure how they justify the extra price :( but hey, I did get a free soda, lol.
You probably didn't notice the extra 5" or so of legroom in the business class car. It's easy to miss.

When Regional business class was first introduced, I recall a packed BC car with one traveler asking aloud, "What's the difference between this and coach?"

99, BC was just another coach car that had been designated Business... not sure how they justify the extra price :( but hey, I did get a free soda, lol.
You probably didn't notice the extra 5" or so of legroom in the business class car. It's easy to miss.

When Regional business class was first introduced, I recall a packed BC car with one traveler asking aloud, "What's the difference between this and coach?"
For a longer ride like NPN to BOS I'd personally upgrade. No matter if it's 66 or a Full BC car. I'd take that extra room.

I noticed it in the "real" business car on the 66, but not on the "coach" business car on the 99. Did I really miss that? I'll get another chance to notice this coming weekend when I go to Baltimore on the train :) I'm going up in a regular coach car and coming back in a "coach" business car (99 again on the way back)

When I was coming home on the 99 some guy had gotten on and taken a seat - I'd noticed him because he was carrying an odd shaped package.

I went to the cafe car for a little while and when I got back this guy had moved all my stuff into the other seat and was sitting in my seat!!

I leaned over him, picked up my stuff and said "You're sitting in my seat, move over please"

I sit in the aisle seat so no one usually complains about getting the window, lol. I feel trapped over there when someone sits with me.

But I thought that was pretty jerky.

When I was coming home on the 99 some guy had gotten on and taken a seat - I'd noticed him because he was carrying an odd shaped package.

I went to the cafe car for a little while and when I got back this guy had moved all my stuff into the other seat and was sitting in my seat!!

I leaned over him, picked up my stuff and said "You're sitting in my seat, move over please"

I sit in the aisle seat so no one usually complains about getting the window, lol. I feel trapped over there when someone sits with me.

That's what a seat check is for.. If there's one then one seat is taken and one seat is open. If two are there then both are taken. So no one takes your seat. He obviously didn't think of that OR think to say hey your sitting where I was sitting find another seat. When I leave my seat I typically leave it to goto the bathroom or the cafe car and come back within minutes.

That's what a seat check is for.. If there's one then one seat is taken and one seat is open. If two are there then both are taken. So no one takes your seat. He obviously didn't think of that OR think to say hey your sitting where I was sitting find another seat. When I leave my seat I typically leave it to goto the bathroom or the cafe car and come back within minutes.
My pillow and my blanket were on the seat I was sitting in, I would think that would be enough of a clue.Besides, he wasn't just getting on the train, he had a seat already and decided, for some reason, to move.

And I was on the train for over 12 hours, I have to go sit in the cafe car for a break from that seat or that part of my anatomy starts yelling at me, I'm not a young chick anymore (sigh) lol.

Not very well! :lol: Actually BC has curtains on the windows and the cafe is seperated from the seating by a curtain! It's still way more comfortable than Coach on this run, the only NEC Train worth the extra $$ for BC in most peoples opinion! Just hope the insomniacs, cell phone addicts and drunks arent in BC, other than that the Looooooooong layover in NYP is the biggest PIA!!!
You're forgetting about the Vermonter (between NY and DC, at least), which also has the 2-and-1

You're forgetting about the Vermonter (between NY and DC, at least), which also has the 2-and-1
Quite a few trains have it. The Vermonter does indeed have those seats. I believe 66/67 is the only other NEC train that has them. Not sure.

That sounds right—just 66/67 and the Vermonter remain with the 2-1 business class seats. The Palmetto and Pennsylvanian used to have the 2-1 as well, but they've since gone to Amfleet I business class cars.

Lately I've seen 66/67 train running without a baggage car or with a standard NE Regional consist that includes a full business class car at the front and a full dinette in the middle. Where does the checked baggage go when the baggage car is missing? When the usual combo biz-cafe is running, is it consistently on the front or rear, and where is the Quiet Car?

Just want to get as much information as possible before riding this train. If this train is subject to anomalies that reduce its quality of service, I might want to book another train.

I saw 67 departing BOS tonight with the cafe as the first car (and no baggage car). The boarding announcement indicated that business class was in the first car and the quiet car was second. This would seem to indicate that BC is located in the cafe (i.e. 2x1 fashion), at least this evening.

Usually when I notice 67 departing BOS it's a five car set with the cafe leading, as it was tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back