Question on Regional 66 to Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a baggage car on 66 tonight plus two deadhead coaches ahead of it. When there's no baggage to my understanding they hold it till the next train to BOS or what ever the station may be. They also mention there's no checked baggage and can offer to hold it or the rider can keep it with them. Also baggage isn't really a big thing on 66/67. When I rode 66 in April there were four bags at PHL, none at NWK, six at NYP, two at NHV, three at PVD and none at BOS that I know of. That's 15 bags. Not really a lot of bags. So sometimes the Demand is low. Others it's high. It depends by day.

"You probably didn't notice the extra 5" or so of legroom in the business class car. It's easy to miss."

You're right, I checked on my next trip and there are a few extra inches between seats. :)

99, BC was just another coach car that had been designated Business... not sure how they justify the extra price :( but hey, I did get a free soda, lol.
You probably didn't notice the extra 5" or so of legroom in the business class car. It's easy to miss.

When Regional business class was first introduced, I recall a packed BC car with one traveler asking aloud, "What's the difference between this and coach?"

**Also - the seats are dramatically different. I recently rode in BC and even though it was 2/2 seating, I did notice the 5" of more legroom - plus the seats are completely different. I went next door to coach, and sure enough - the seat-back was much flatter in coach - maybe 4 or 5 inches thick, that's all. I went back over to BC and I think it was like 8 inches thick, and a different color, material, build etc. So yes, you have more legroom - which is noticeable, and you have thicker seats, which are more like First Class seats on a jet (but not leather). And the car is a refurbished, or newer. Just a nicer car, and quieter, because in general, BC is always a bit less crowded than coach.

I was able to have 2 seats together in each direction. Coach was rather full on my trains.

99, BC was just another coach car that had been designated Business... not sure how they justify the extra price :( but hey, I did get a free soda, lol.
You probably didn't notice the extra 5" or so of legroom in the business class car. It's easy to miss.

When Regional business class was first introduced, I recall a packed BC car with one traveler asking aloud, "What's the difference between this and coach?"

**Also - the seats are dramatically different. I recently rode in BC and even though it was 2/2 seating, I did notice the 5" of more legroom - plus the seats are completely different. I went next door to coach, and sure enough - the seat-back was much flatter in coach - maybe 4 or 5 inches thick, that's all. I went back over to BC and I think it was like 8 inches thick, and a different color, material, build etc. So yes, you have more legroom - which is noticeable, and you have thicker seats, which are more like First Class seats on a jet (but not leather). And the car is a refurbished, or newer. Just a nicer car, and quieter, because in general, BC is always a bit less crowded than coach.

I was able to have 2 seats together in each direction. Coach was rather full on my trains.
They must switch out cars then, when I rode the coach seats were exactly the same, just had more leg room.

Lately I've seen 66/67 train running without a baggage car or with a standard NE Regional consist that includes a full business class car at the front and a full dinette in the middle. Where does the checked baggage go when the baggage car is missing? When the usual combo biz-cafe is running, is it consistently on the front or rear, and where is the Quiet Car?

Just want to get as much information as possible before riding this train. If this train is subject to anomalies that reduce its quality of service, I might want to book another train.
In general, it runs with the baggage car and the combo biz/cafe. However, as you mentioned, lately the 66 hasn't been running with the combo biz/cafe car. In fact, just this week my H rode in the cafe from PVD - BOS on at least two days. The cafe was in the middle of the car and it was running with a full length BC car at the front.

When the 66 runs with the biz/cafe car, it runs at the front.

I sometimes chat up the luggage room guy at PVD. When there is no baggage car on the train, he tells me that that he holds the baggage until the next day. Sometimes bags can be sitting at PVD for a few days because of this as the only trains with checked baggage through PVD are the 66/67.

"I sometimes chat up the luggage room guy at PVD. When there is no baggage car on the train, he tells me that that he holds the baggage until the next day. Sometimes bags can be sitting at PVD for a few days because of this as the only trains with checked baggage through PVD are the 66/67.
Considering the huge bags I've seen some people lugging onto the train, I wonder why they bother with a baggage car. I've always complied with the size luggage they tell you you can bring onto the train, but hoo boy, a LOT of people don't - not in size or in numbers! No one ever really seems to check.

"I sometimes chat up the luggage room guy at PVD. When there is no baggage car on the train, he tells me that that he holds the baggage until the next day. Sometimes bags can be sitting at PVD for a few days because of this as the only trains with checked baggage through PVD are the 66/67.
Considering the huge bags I've seen some people lugging onto the train, I wonder why they bother with a baggage car. I've always complied with the size luggage they tell you you can bring onto the train, but hoo boy, a LOT of people don't - not in size or in numbers! No one ever really seems to check.
Because having a baggage car connects PVD and other stations north of NYP with the entire LD network if someone wants to check a bag. This means that someone going from PVD - CHI could check a bag - or PVD-SEA for example.

Wow, with 66/67 being the only baggage-bearing trains on the Shore Line (correct me if I'm wrong), holding bags for the next night's train sounds suboptimal. But if the station agents advise pax of the situation, waive the carry-on "rules," and most folks opt to lug their stuff aboard, then it isn't the end of the world.

My concern was that the crew would commandeer a passenger car--or a portion of it--for checked bags, making it all the more difficult to get good seating.

Bummer that the quiet car is in the traffic path to the cafe of all the coaches behind it. It would make more sense for the quiet to be at the end when the biz/cafe is up front. But then they wouldn't be able to close off an end car or two when they feel like it--a practice I abhor when there are enough conductors to open them all to revenue service.

Bummer that the quiet car is in the traffic path to the cafe of all the coaches behind it. It would make more sense for the quiet to be at the end when the biz/cafe is up front. But then they wouldn't be able to close off an end car or two when they feel like it--a practice I abhor when there are enough conductors to open them all to revenue service.
When I said that the QC was the second car in Saturday night's consist, I was going off of the automated announcement at South Station. It could very well have been wrong.

Last time I took a "normal" NE Regional, the QC was the last car, consistent with the post above this one.

My concern was that the crew would commandeer a passenger car--or a portion of it--for checked bags, making it all the more difficult to get good seating.
No way. The train is almost completely full out of PVD into BOS in the mornings. There is no way they are giving up seating to stow bags in a passenger car.

When I said that the QC was the second car in Saturday night's consist, I was going off of the automated announcement at South Station. It could very well have been wrong.

Last time I took a "normal" NE Regional, the QC was the last car, consistent with the post above this one.
On a normal consist the QC is the second car. I don't know about 66/67 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back