Question ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. But you have to call, and you will be advised that there are only 2 seats and 2 berths in the room. If you agree that you're aware of it and that 2 will share 1 seat and also 1 berth, they should allow you to do so.

If cost isnt a factor, maybe just book a bedroom, it would be more comfortable for the three of you. A roomette can feel cramped even for a solo traveler, much less 3 people.

If cost isnt a factor, maybe just book a bedroom, it would be more comfortable for the three of you. A roomette can feel cramped even for a solo traveler, much less 3 people.
If cost isn't a factor why not simply rent out the whole car? Or the entire train for that matter. You think Amtrak would allow that? Well, if cost is not a factor then you can simply charter your own train running on your own schedule and make up your own rules however you see fit. I like how easy this is. From now on all my advice is going to start with the assumption that cost is irrelevant.

Earlier this year we had a single Mom with 3 small kids crammed into a Roomette and it was terror from minute 1 all the way to the end. I don't know how they got away with it and the Conductors never made an issue out of it, even though 2 of the kids were constantly wandering the corridor unchecked and the baby was puking nonstop in the Roomette. Needless to say the Attendant loved that.

I would suggest getting two roomettes, which is cheaper than one bedroom, in most cases. This would allow your 4 year old to sleep in the upper bunk and the adults each get a full lower bunk.

According to the amtrak standards and service manual from 2011 (which can be found here:

http://www.governmen...Manual_2011.pdf)

In a roomette, you can book three people but the composition is 1 adult & two kids or three kids. It does not allow for 2 adults and one child.
Thank you for posting this. I wasn't aware that I can book a roomette for myself and 2 small children. Our next trip will be much more relaxing.

I'm not sure on which route(s) the OP will travel, but if on Superliner equipment, my experience is that the Family Bedroom is often priced lower than a bedroom.

If cost isn't a factor why not simply rent out the whole car? Or the entire train for that matter. You think Amtrak would allow that? Well, if cost is not a factor then you can simply charter your own train running on your own schedule and make up your own rules however you see fit. I like how easy this is. From now on all my advice is going to start with the assumption that cost is irrelevant.
I don't see the need for this hyperbole.

A bedroom isn't necessarily massively more costly than a roomette, so it's perfectly legitimate to suggest that option.

Interesting that our total A.U. "expertise" amounts to Maybe, Maybe not, Perhaps, You have to phone, No, and a few comments about stuff that adds nothing to enlighten the person seeking an answer...

Ed :cool:

Can two seniors and one 4 year old be booked in a roomette ?
Somewhat related, I know for a Viewliner (but maybe a Superliner too), the 4 yo could use the upper bunk, while the adults use the two chairs. The chairs can be used even with the upper bunk down (well, unless you're over 6'6"). Yea, the adults would be sleeping sitting up, like in coach, but you'll still have the privacy/quiet of a roomette.

That is not a permissible booking - the only way to get 3 in a roomette is if it is 1 Adult and 2 Children:

Blue_Book_Roomette.png

Even in the non-berth section, it clearly states that you can't do 2 adults and a child (2F & 1H)

Blue_Book_Non_Berth.png

Can two seniors and one 4 year old be booked in a roomette ?
Somewhat related, I know for a Viewliner (but maybe a Superliner too), the 4 yo could use the upper bunk, while the adults use the two chairs. The chairs can be used even with the upper bunk down (well, unless you're over 6'6"). Yea, the adults would be sleeping sitting up, like in coach, but you'll still have the privacy/quiet of a roomette.
That is exactly how I thought about it, especially if it was a short trip like Cleveland to DC or Chicago. I understand that the Superliner would not have a window for the upper bunk but I can't think of any Superliner train I've traveled that did not have a Sightseer car. So only use the upper bunk for the 4 year old to sleep in, or have one of the adults go to the SSL while the other adult supervises the child in the roomette.

Folks, you can come up with as many creative ways of cramming 2 adults and 1 child into a roomette all you want, but the fact remains that it is not permissible according to Amtrak's published service & standards manual, which I linked to originally and Ryan added as a screen shot.

For those who like to wring their hands about amtrak not having rules or making them up as they go along, this is an actual published rule.

Thanks for the replys.....It's not me going on this trip but a neighbor. We watch the 4 year old who is/was his grandaughter that he has adopted from time to time and the wife and me being near 66 years old she is enough to keep up with here much less on a train. He has been interested on doing a train trip since the wife and me did the cross country one last spring. Would be him and his brother and the kid one way and just him and the kid on the return.

I will pass on the information.

I just booked a roomette for myself and 2 small children. It wasn't possible to do online, so I called the reservations number. They brought to my attention 2 different times that each child cannot weight more than 40 pounds. Didn't see that in the handbook. Hope they don't have a scale at the door!

Folks, you can come up with as many creative ways of cramming 2 adults and 1 child into a roomette all you want, but the fact remains that it is not permissible according to Amtrak's published service & standards manual, which I linked to originally and Ryan added as a screen shot.

For those who like to wring their hands about amtrak not having rules or making them up as they go along, this is an actual published rule.
And me and another adult had zero problem with a toddler and the both of us in roomette. The child slept with mom in the lower.

Possible problem - if the kid is new(young) enough to ride free don't mention the kid at all when reserving room- not a problem.

Now, amusingly, the then toddler invited me aboard the CVN where she works. Got to sleep in a space with with 18" between the mattress and the overhead.

Way less room than any roomette. And the sailors live in these tiny racks for 6 or 8 months at a time.

Me, in coach, as long as the person in the other seat doesn't cough in may face or fondle my ancient bits, I can live with that for a day or less.

" -- We watch the 4 year old -- "

4 year old kids ride free on Amtrak. The only possible issue is - "will the tiny brat scream the whole way from CHI to LA ?"

And the answer is "not if the other train riders support the noisy brat and do a very little bit to calm the parents"

No problem in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back