Questions about a 15 day/8 segment USA Rail Pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick question, does anyone think Eugene, OR is worth a quick stop? I know the Amtrak Cascades corridor train goes as south as there, but I haven't researched what local things to do, etc are like yet. I know University of Oregon is there, but little else beyond that.

Also my other question, is how good is the shuttle service that runs between Lamy, NM to Santa Fe? And does Uber/Lyft even service those who want to get to Lamy from Santa Fe, simply for catching the Amtrak train(or after you get off there)? I hate how isolated that station appears to be like, on maps. Maybe Flagstaff would be better, for doing a brief 1 day stopover at?
I've only spent a day in Eugene in 2010, but based on that experience, I would say no. For everything in Eugene that's worth doing, there's a better version of the same thing in Portland. The university neighborhood was kind of underwhelming. It's not a terrible place, but there are almost certainly better places for you to spend your time.

I've never taken it, but there's a commuter train that makes several trips a day between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, if you're uneasy about the shuttle from Lamy: https://www.riometro.org/home

A quick question, does anyone think Eugene, OR is worth a quick stop? I know the Amtrak Cascades corridor train goes as south as there, but I haven't researched what local things to do, etc are like yet. I know University of Oregon is there, but little else beyond that.

Also my other question, is how good is the shuttle service that runs between Lamy, NM to Santa Fe? And does Uber/Lyft even service those who want to get to Lamy from Santa Fe, simply for catching the Amtrak train(or after you get off there)? I hate how isolated that station appears to be like, on maps. Maybe Flagstaff would be better, for doing a brief 1 day stopover at?
I've only spent a day in Eugene in 2010, but based on that experience, I would say no. For everything in Eugene that's worth doing, there's a better version of the same thing in Portland. The university neighborhood was kind of underwhelming. It's not a terrible place, but there are almost certainly better places for you to spend your time.

I've never taken it, but there's a commuter train that makes several trips a day between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, if you're uneasy about the shuttle from Lamy: https://www.riometro.org/home
I see, about Eugene. It was just a thought out of possible places to do a stopover at, and thanks for responding. And as for Santa Fe, I do know that there is NM Rail Runner commuter rail service, if I chose not to see what the shuttle out of Lamy was like. I guess maybe I'll ask others on this board, whether they've utilized the Lamy shuttle to Santa Fe before or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back