Questions about Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, found this site today and hope this will be a good place to get some of my questions answered :D . I will start by saying while I've always been a railfan growing up and love seeing trains on the rails it has been almost two decades since I last rode the rails up to Seattle. Well my Ducks made the Rose bowl so I thought I'd treat myself to a new experience and ride the rails down to watch the game. I'm booked on the Coast Starlight out of Portland leaving New Years Eve, reserved a "Roomette" for the 30 odd hour trip. So reading through this and other forums I have a few questions about my upcoming trip.

• "Theft": Is it safe to leave my computer bag in my room or should I plan on carrying it with me to Dinner, Parlor car, etc;
  • Are the "Parlor" cars still running? I've read some commens where they might be discontinued. My reservation says there is a lounge car so presume this is it;
  • As its' 'New Years Eve' will the lounge/parlor stay open late? Will Amtrak do anything special or should I plan on bringing some champagne myself;
  • Will the lounge/parlor have any hope of TV reception or is it only used for movies downstairs? Just wondering if any hope of watching games on New Years Day;
  • Do windows open in the rooms?
  • Any idea which side/level Room 13 is?
Thanks in advance for any advice. Ironically, while I'm excited for another Rose Bowl I think I'm looking more forward to being on the Rails again. In Octboer during a recent 'dark' time I spent a week up at Odell Lake East of Eugene, I would take my dog hiking above the UP tracks there and watch Amtrak/others go by, was even looking at a rail pass just to tool around for a bit. Happy Holidays.

• "Theft": Is it safe to leave my computer bag in my room or should I plan on carrying it with me to Dinner, Parlor car, etc;
  • Are the "Parlor" cars still running? I've read some commens where they might be discontinued. My reservation says there is a lounge car so presume this is it;
  • Will the lounge/parlor have any hope of TV reception or is it only used for movies downstairs? Just wondering if any hope of watching games on New Years Day;
#1: It is generally safe to leave your things in your room. Just remember to stow it in your bag and close the curtain and door.

#2: Yes, the Parlor cars should still be running.

#4: The TV on the lower level of the Pacific Parlor car is just for movies.

#5: The windows do not open.

#6: Room 13 is on the lower level of the Superliner Sleeper.

#2 - The PPC's are 55 years old and have maintenance issues that sideline them sometimes. If the PPC isn't running, they'll usually have a substitute car,a Diner-Lounge most frequently in my experience (last couple of years I've only been batting 500 in getting a real PPC). It is a poor substitute. If you want to know if your consist has one, the northbound the day before is the consist you'll be on going south. The PPCs have a distinct profile, as they are about 6 inches shorter than the Superliners that surround them and have wrap-around windows. It should be about the 6th car in the consist (baggage, Transdorm, 3 revenue sleepers, PPC, diner, SSL, coaches). They only turn the train in Seattle, and won't take a PPC out of service there unless there is a safety-related issue.

#6 - Superliners can run oriented either direction and do. So there is no way to tell which side any given roomette is going to be on beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all, found this site today and hope this will be a good place to get some of my questions answered :D . I will start by saying while I've always been a railfan growing up and love seeing trains on the rails it has been almost two decades since I last rode the rails up to Seattle. Well my Ducks made the Rose bowl so I thought I'd treat myself to a new experience and ride the rails down to watch the game. I'm booked on the Coast Starlight out of Portland leaving New Years Eve, reserved a "Roomette" for the 30 odd hour trip. So reading through this and other forums I have a few questions about my upcoming trip.

• As its' 'New Years Eve' will the lounge/parlor stay open late? Will Amtrak do anything special or should I plan on bringing some champagne myself;
Thanks in advance for any advice. Ironically, while I'm excited for another Rose Bowl I think I'm looking more forward to being on the Rails again. In Octboer during a recent 'dark' time I spent a week up at Odell Lake East of Eugene, I would take my dog hiking above the UP tracks there and watch Amtrak/others go by, was even looking at a rail pass just to tool around for a bit. Happy Holidays.
"Theft": Is it safe to leave my computer bag in my room or should I plan on carrying it with me to Dinner, Parlor car, etc; Close your door, pull drapes, and leave it under the seat".

Are the "Parlor" cars still running? I've read some commens where they might be discontinued. My reservation says there is a lounge car so presume this is it; Yes. This is one of the joys of the Coast Starlight, and the PC's have special menus.

As its' 'New Years Eve' will the lounge/parlor stay open late? Will Amtrak do anything special or should I plan on bringing some champagne myself; To be safe, I would bring your favorite adult beverage.

Will the lounge/parlor have any hope of TV reception or is it only used for movies downstairs? Just wondering if any hope of watching games on New Years Day; No TV. Hopefully you have a smart phone or tablet to keep up on the games.

Do windows open in the rooms?

Any idea which side/level Room 13 is? Downstairs. Side varies based upon orientation of the car.

Hi oregonweim,

I'm a freshie to trains so I don't have any answers for you - just wanted to say, we'll be on your train, departing from portland to LA as well. :)

Oregonweim, Welcome to the forum.

I hope you have a good trip on the Coast Starlight.

It is a very enjoyable experience.

thanks everyone, even if services are not 'open' will you be able to access the car late or once closed its closed? Also, is there anyway to check online what the consist of the NB train is on 12/30?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your questions have been answered, but I have further commentary about leaving valuables in your room. Be sure your laptop bag has a lock and use it, also keep it out of sight when you're not in the room. Make sure everything on your computer is properly backed up before you depart, and leave that hard drive (or whatever you use for backup) at home. Pacsafe makes excellent theft-deterrent products, everything from neck and regular wallets, to bags, to metal netting for bags and backpacks. Check their website for ideas on securing your computer. Definitely (as others have recommended) close your door and the curtains when you leave the roomette.

The downstairs roomettes (which you have - #13) are more secure due to less foot traffic. But I always make sure I'm in the room during stops of more than a couple of minutes. Just use common sense and your items will be OK. That being said, on my next trip I plan to take my iPad and will NOT be leaving it in the room when I'm out.

One other thing. You will need a plug that works in the roomette outlet, your usual computer power cord may or may not work. Check youtube for videos showing the setup of the electric outlet. I have a short extension-type cord, then a Belkin travel surge protector, then the computer plugs into the surge protector. Make sure you have the right cords.

"Theft": Is it safe to leave my computer bag in my room or should I plan on carrying it with me to Dinner, Parlor car, etc;
I've never had anything go missing, but I would still advise that you hide your valuables as well as possible. Keep in mind that no sleeper compartment can be locked while you are outside the room and that the doors can simply slid open due to nothing more than routine acceleration or deceleration.

Are the "Parlor" cars still running? I've read some commens where they might be discontinued. My reservation says there is a lounge car so presume this is it;
Yes the Pacific Parlor Cars are still running. However, as mentioned they require a lot of maintenance and can be taken out of service without notice. In any case there is almost always a sightseer lounge and sometimes two if the PPC is unavailable.

As its' 'New Years Eve' will the lounge/parlor stay open late? Will Amtrak do anything special or should I plan on bringing some champagne myself;
In my experience Amtrak didn't do anything special or stay open extra late for New Years Eve. If you want anything special going on then you'll most likely have to buy/bring/arrange your own supplies ahead of time.

Will the lounge/parlor have any hope of TV reception or is it only used for movies downstairs? Just wondering if any hope of watching games on New Years Day;
As mentioned there will be no TV reception and no hope of watching games on New Years. It's an internet based service with predetermined kid focused movies that sometimes play and sometimes don't, but live TV is never an option.

Do windows open in the rooms?
Only once, after which they'll never close again. I would advise against any such attempt lest you end up being kicked off at the nearest cross street. :unsure:

Any idea which side/level Room 13 is?
The unluckiest side of the unluckiest level! Better keep your wits about you. :lol:

thanks everyone, even if services are not 'open' will you be able to access the car late or once closed its closed?
Yes. Although the service staff will have gone to bed you can still go to the lounge and celebrate. Keep in mind that technically you're not supposed to be drinking your own liquor supply in public areas, but so long as you're not creating a nuisance I would sincerely doubt anyone is going to bug you about it on New Years Eve. Just keep an eye out and a low profile if any staff happen to be passing through and you'll be fine.

Also, is there anyway to check online what the consist of the NB train is on 12/30?
Not that I'm aware of. As we get closer to departure you can ask again and someone with employee access might be able to look it up for you.

Hope you have a good time and may the Ducks win.

A couple of things to remember leaving from PDX. First, you can wait in and board from the Metropolitan Lounge, it's more comfy and relaxed than the main part of the depot. Also, if the train is on time, you should be able to put your stuff in your room and walk down to the diner for the last seating of lunch. You should be well into your salad as you glide over the Steel Bridge. Your SCA should mention this, ask if he doesn't.

Last New Years Eve in the Parlour Car, most of the passengers had kept their complimentary bottle of champagne or sparkling cider to drink while they rang in the new year. "Debbie the Wonder Attendant" was mixing drinks until 11 pm, then turned in for the night with instructions for us: "Stay as long as you want, don't tear up the car, and Happy New Year"! At midnight, there were about 20 of us still hanging around. We toasted the New Year, hugged each other, and sang Auld Lang Syne, although none of us knew all the words. Then the PPC pretty much emptied out. There were some passengers who had brought a bunch of booze onboard and continued celebrating in their rooms beyond the midnight hour.

Wave hello, Oregonweim and Sandypier, when you stop at San Jose on New Year's Day; I'll be Station Hosting that morning (and for any other holiday travelers: also Christmas Eve and Say, and New Year's Eve) covering the morning shift of Capitol Corridors, buses and #11. People who have to travel on designated holidays deserve some Hosting too, right?

The OTP for #11 has been really good lately (I hope that didn't jinx it) so hopefully we'll see you guys right at 9:55 a.m. Sunday morning! Have fun!

Hi oregonweim,

I'm a freshie to trains so I don't have any answers for you - just wanted to say, we'll be on your train, departing from portland to LA as well. :)

Are you heading down to the Rose Bowl too? I'll spend a lot of time in Parlor Car, look for the one in Duck gear :blink: lol, hopefully a lot of us there.

Also, does anyone know of the consist of the (14?) train running North today, remember one of the vets around here mentioning what goes North should turn around and come South tomorrow for my #11 :D Can't wait for my trip should be a blast. Maybe tomorrow i'll actually pack heh.

Hi oregonweim,

Are you heading down to the Rose Bowl too? I'll spend a lot of time in Parlor Car, look for the one in Duck gear :blink: lol, hopefully a lot of us there.

Also, does anyone know of the consist of the (14?) train running North today, remember one of the vets around here mentioning what goes North should turn around and come South tomorrow for my #11 :D Can't wait for my trip should be a blast. Maybe tomorrow i'll actually pack heh.
I saw the train going north today, 1 Amtrak Engine (840 I think), 1 Amtrak California Engine, baggage car, crew car, 3 sleepers, Willamette Valley Parlor Car, diner, club car, 4 coach cars. The train was late and in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back