Questions about Dash 8 locomotives.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amtrakrulez

Where can I find a P32-8 locomotive in passenger service. I've heard that some of them were scheduled to get an overhaul. When they do, will they operate in passenger service, or will there be other uses for them, like switching duty?

Thanks! B)

The only P8-32's in passenger service are in emergencies when no other locomotives are available or when transiting to or from a shop.

The Locomotives are now primary used as coach yard switchers and standby power (no other power).

When my wife and I took the Southwest Chief out to Arizona last May, we had a DASH in our consist (along with two P42's). I also spotted one in the Amtrak yards as we were heading out of Chicago.

I read awhile back (and I can't recall where) that as they undergo overhauls, they are getting Phase V paint schemes. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Dan

Dutchrailnut, that is true for the most part, but there are a few exceptions. The two CDOT DASH8's see pretty regular service on San Joaquin and Captiol Coridor service. The DASH8's also see pretty regular service on the Coast Starlight, I know the 507's made four round trips in the past few weeks. It is a shame though that these units don't see more road time since that's what they were built for. <_<

When Amtrak first received Dash 8s back in the early 90s(I think...), did they use them for passenger service along with the F40PHs, or did they use em as yard switchers?

Will the Dash 8s get their overhaul only to be used as yard switchers? It'll make sense to use them in regular passenger service since they are getting an overhaul...

Anyone know if those Superliners on the Hoosier State were in revenue with the Horizon in DH or if the Horizon was in revenue with the Superliners DH?

Anyone know if those Superliners on the Hoosier State were in revenue with the Horizon in DH or if the Horizon was in revenue with the Superliners DH?
I think that the Superliner's were just trying to see what was on the Horizon. :lol: :lol:

Dutchrailnut, that is true for the most part, but there are a few exceptions. The two CDOT DASH8's see pretty regular service on San Joaquin and Captiol Coridor service. The DASH8's also see pretty regular service on the Coast Starlight, I know the 507's made four round trips in the past few weeks. It is a shame though that these units don't see more road time since that's what they were built for. <_<
i can confirm this, since i saw 507 and another Dash-8 locomotive(which i couldn't tell the number of) in the old phase IV paint when i rode Amtrak into Chicago about 11/2 weeks ago.

i think if i remember, only 2 Dash-8s have been repainted into Phase V/IVb so far, correct? (i think the 2 were 508 and 510, IIRC)

i can confirm this, since i saw 507 and another Dash-8 locomotive(which i couldn't tell the number of) in the old phase IV paint when i rode Amtrak into Chicago about 11/2 weeks ago.
i think if i remember, only 2 Dash-8s have been repainted into Phase V/IVb so far, correct? (i think the 2 were 508 and 510, IIRC)
i posted that btw, just forgot to login when i wrote that, dumb me. :blink:

and damn myself for getting confused, i relooked at this thread and saw the pic, and realized i saw a different Dash-8 than 507. but i did definately see at least two in the old paint scheme in the Chicago Yard that day.

if you ever go on flickr, look at this guy's photostream(NS0313): http://www.flickr.com/photos/jman_photos/ he's shot quite a few decent pics of Dash-8s on his album(including at least 2 to 3 pics of them pulling the Hoosier State and/or were among the train consist).

Last edited by a moderator:
the hoosier state only carries passengers in the one horizon. this is what it looks like with out extra equipment deadheading.Hoosier State
'My' Home train... :D Not quite the stuff of railroad ballads, is it? Occasionally, it will run two coaches but most of the time its a single horizon or Amfleet unit, which explains why on weekend it is usually full (thanks to the kids going to/from Lafayette and Chicago) as well as commanding a higher than anticipated fare.

And they say the Vermonter wastes fuel. :lol: If any routes need to be getting DMU's it's the Springfield Shuttles and the Hoosier State. Someone at Amtrak really needs a dope slap.

Last edited by a moderator:
And they say the Vermonter wastes fuel. :lol: If any routes need to be getting DMU's it's the Springfield Shuttles and the Hoosier State. Someone at Amtrak really needs a dope slape.
Yes, the Vermonter was always a bad choice for Amtrak to be using a DMU on. David Gunn had always planned to use the DMU's if he'd gotten the monies to buy them on the Springfield Shuttles. The Vermonter proposal only came about becuase someone at Amtrak figured that picking that train would help them to secure funding for the DMU via the State of VT.

Hardly a logical reason to actually run a DMU on that route. :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back