Questions about Los Angeles Union & Indianapolis stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
This coming Wednesday (23rd) we are travelling from LAX to WAS via Normal and Indianapolis and have a couple of questions about LAX and IND.

Our Texas Eagle leaves LAX at 10pm we will arrive at Union Station around 6pm. We have never used the lounge at LAX, does it have food and drink or just the bare snacks and water?

Around and across from the station there appear to be a lot of eateries, any recommendations for somewhere within say 20 minutes walk, decent quality and not top end prices?

We arrive at Indianapolis station by Thruway bus at 7pm, the Cardinal leaves at 12:15am. Will it be possible to check our bags at IND through to Washington? If we can the same question as above, is there a restaurant with good food at good prices nearby?

Thank you

The Los Angeles Metropolitan Lounge is (well, last July) snack type stuff and beverages. No "real" food to speak of. There are a are several eating venues in LAUS (Subway, Traxx, Wetzel's Pretzels). Across the street is Olvera Street for Mexican food and a bit further is Phillippe's for French Dip sandiwiches.

https://www.unionstationla.com/https://www.philippes.com/

This coming Wednesday (23rd) we are travelling from LAX to WAS via Normal and Indianapolis and have a couple of questions about LAX and IND.

Our Texas Eagle leaves LAX at 10pm we will arrive at Union Station around 6pm. We have never used the lounge at LAX, does it have food and drink or just the bare snacks and water?

Around and across from the station there appear to be a lot of eateries, any recommendations for somewhere within say 20 minutes walk, decent quality and not top end prices?

We arrive at Indianapolis station by Thruway bus at 7pm, the Cardinal leaves at 12:15am. Will it be possible to check our bags at IND through to Washington? If we can the same question as above, is there a restaurant with good food at good prices nearby?

Thank you
Never been to Indiana myself, but Google Maps shows an Old Spaghetti Factory a few blocks from the station. Old Spaghetti Factory is a chain of restaurants serving spaghetti (what else?) with a variety of sauces in family-oriented restaurants at reasonable prices. The food is not exceptional, but it's good. I especially like to get half meat sauce and half mizithra, which is a very rich browned butter sauce with grated soft cheese. (Warning: I find mizithra by itself to be way too rich.)

They try to locate their restaurants in old industrial buildings in revitalized historic districts. Most of them have the remains of an old trolley car as the centerpiece of one room. The restaurants are filled with antiques; some of the tables are built out of old beds. Service is diner level, mostly by college students, and the restaurants do tend to be very loud because the high ceilings and large numbers of families with children.

https://www.osf.com/location/indianapolis-in/

The Los Angeles Metropolitan Lounge is (well, last July) snack type stuff and beverages. No "real" food to speak of. There are a are several eating venues in LAUS (Subway, Traxx, Wetzel's Pretzels). Across the street is Olvera Street for Mexican food and a bit further is Phillippe's for French Dip sandiwiches.

Didn't realise that Phillippe's were open in the evening, thanks for that

Never been to Indiana myself, but Google Maps shows an Old Spaghetti Factory a few blocks from the station. Old Spaghetti Factory is a chain of restaurants serving spaghetti (what else?) with a variety of sauces in family-oriented restaurants at reasonable prices. The food is not exceptional, but it's good. I especially like to get half meat sauce and half mizithra, which is a very rich browned butter sauce with grated soft cheese. (Warning: I find mizithra by itself to be way too rich.)

They try to locate their restaurants in old industrial buildings in revitalized historic districts. Most of them have the remains of an old trolley car as the centerpiece of one room. The restaurants are filled with antiques; some of the tables are built out of old beds. Service is diner level, mostly by college students, and the restaurants do tend to be very loud because the high ceilings and large numbers of families with children.

Sounds perfect, thank you. Noisy and good food is fine by us, as when we escape our usual rural solitude we like to be reminded that a rear world exists.

Looks like a problem for us at Indianapolis, the station is closed when we arrive (Saturday 26th) and doesn't open until late evening. That means we have to take all our bags with us to eat as it appears there are no baggage lockers to use either.

Looks like a problem for us at Indianapolis, the station is closed when we arrive (Saturday 26th) and doesn't open until late evening. That means we have to take all our bags with us to eat as it appears there are no baggage lockers to use either.
The station is shared with Greyhound bus lines. Their web site says they're open and staffed 24 hours. Maybe they will store the bags?
https://www.greyhound.com/en-us/bus-station-260392?redirecturl=true
There's also a hotel in the same building as the station (might need to go outside and around the corner.) Perhaps they'd be willing to store the bags for a fee (or large tip.)

Or you could just eat in the hotel restaurant. If the desk won't hold your bags, just keep them with you.

https://www.crowneplazaindydowntown.com/

The Crowne Plaza hotel is NOT in the same building as the current Amtrak station. The hotel is in the headhouse of the old Indianapolis Union Station, on the other side of a very wide railroad viaduct, which supported multiple platform tracks, over Illinois St from the current Amtrak/Greyhound station. The only thing that Amtrak uses of the old Indianapolis Union Station is the furthest south platform of the old station. There is no connection between the hotel/former headhouse and the Amtrak station and to go between them you have to walk down Illinois Street under the viaduct from the current station. It is NOT a walk I would recommend at night.

The real downtown with restaurants and shops is on the other (Crowne Plaza) side of the viaduct.

I have family in Indianapolis, have been in that pit of a station several times.

It is staffed, does have checked baggage service and they will hold bags for a charge. You will be able to check bags to Washington.

If not the worst, Indianapolis is among the worst of Amtrak's staffed stations.

As to restaurants, the St. Elmo Steakhouse, a rather famous and very good "old school" steakhouse, is a few blocks up Illinois St. I might walk up there, under the viaduct, at 7. I would definitely cab back to the station at near midnight.

Joe, it really does not sound like you have actually been to Indy's Amtrak station.

Last edited:

Thank you
Definitely go to Philippe Jamie. You can leave your carry on stufff in the Lounge, and walk through the Historic First Site of LA ( Olvera St) on the way to Philippe.

I read on here that they quit having the good Chocolate Chip Cookies in the Metro Lounge, but there are drinks and snacks available and the Lounge, while small, is very comfortable.

Consider stocking up with some drinks and snacks from the Lounge for the Trip since the Cafe Car is not Open till the next Morning when you're in Arizonia , and you'll have Breakfast on the way to the Fairly Long Stop in Tucson.

Consider using Redcaps to trainside from the Lounge( tell the Attendant ) they'll take you out the back door to the Platform and you'll ride a Cart since the Path crosses active Tracks.

Otherwise, you'll ride the Elevator back downstairs to the Train Hall and walk through the Tunnel to the Ramp that you walk up to the Platform.

The Metro Plaza Hotel is also on the way, and if yall ever want to stay in a Reasonable place close to Union Station that is the go to place for an over night.

As for Indy, as was said,the Bus and Amtrak Station are underneath the Tracks, and are on a par with Pittsburgh for the Worst LD Train Station.

Since you're riding the Bus to Indy, you should be able to Day check your bags in the Bus Station while you go eat ( probably for a fee).

I'm not familiar with eating places around there, but I do know that the Hotel in the old Head House is very nice,and would think it's Cafe is pricey since the Rooms are.

Last edited:
Final note, as a Greyhound station, the station will be physically open when you arrive, and there may be staff at the Greyhound desk but the Amtrak counter will not be staffed until 10:30 pm in preparation for the arrival of the eastbound Cardinal. You will have to manage your bags until then unless you can convince Greyhound to hold them.

There are no baggage lockers. Baggage lockers are very rare in the US and have been pretty much since 9/11 and that includes Indianapolis.

If it were me, I'd take a cab, bags and all, to St. Elmo's.

Thanks everyone, I was thrown reading Amtrak's station open and closed times for Indianapolis. Although I could imagine the station building itself being open, if there are no staff for 11 hours then it would be difficult to check bags apart from an hour or so before the train arrives.

We already liked the idea of a pasta meal so will look up how far that is. If we can't find anywhere to leave our bags we'll adapt to whatever we find.

Previous posters have written Indianapolis is not a favourite station, that's part of the fascination to visit it now. Without comparisons how can we decide.

The Crowne Plaza hotel is NOT in the same building as the current Amtrak station. The hotel is in the headhouse of the old Indianapolis Union Station, on the other side of a very wide railroad viaduct, which supported multiple platform tracks, over Illinois St from the current Amtrak/Greyhound station. The only thing that Amtrak uses of the old Indianapolis Union Station is the furthest south platform of the old station. There is no connection between the hotel/former headhouse and the Amtrak station and to go between them you have to walk down Illinois Street under the viaduct from the current station. It is NOT a walk I would recommend at night.

The real downtown with restaurants and shops is on the other (Crowne Plaza) side of the viaduct.

I have family in Indianapolis, have been in that pit of a station several times.

It is staffed, does have checked baggage service and they will hold bags for a charge. You will be able to check bags to Washington.

If not the worst, Indianapolis is among the worst of Amtrak's staffed stations.

As to restaurants, the St. Elmo Steakhouse, a rather famous and very good "old school" steakhouse, is a few blocks up Illinois St. I might walk up there, under the viaduct, at 7. I would definitely cab back to the station at near midnight.

Joe, it really does not sound like you have actually been to Indy's Amtrak station.
The photo shows the walk from the basement Greyhound/Burlington Trailways/Amtrak station in what GI's used to call "Naptown." In 2015 I made the walk to the burger place at the edge of downtown. It was interesting to watch the police activity on a Saturday night.

P1030629.JPG

Compared to what's left of the intercity bus network it's not too bad and is busy around the clock. I was on my way to Chattanooga for a military reunion.

P1030632.JPG

Definitely go to Philippe Jamie. You can leave your carry-on stuff in the Lounge and walk through the Historic First Site of LA (Olvera St) on the way to Philippe.

I once steered an out-of-town movie producer to Philippe's for dinner (our Train 4 was going to depart late). He loved it! It was like Raymond Chandler's LA come to life. Be sure to see the model streetcars and interurbans in the side room.

P1040429.JPG

P1040430.JPG

P1040450.JPG

Last edited:
In past times, China Town which is near LAUS was the place I would want to eat before boarding the train. Restaurants have all closed, may be one. Otherwise Olvera Street has many places. Philippes not my choice but the favorite of many and a must do by some is open til 10:pm.
The station in Indy is close to downtown, but seems to be in a no man’s land where finding locals that want to travel there is met with skepticism except for football fans as the NFL Colts playing field is across the street. The city does roll up early so the food choices may not be many. If you can store your bags at the station I’m sure you’ll find something good.

https://www.unionstationla.com/https://www.philippes.com/

Okay, I had never heard of a "French dip" sandwich and this whetted my appetite. Which is unfortunate 'cause I'm a vegetarian and it sounds delicious. From Wikipedia: "A French dip sandwich, also known as a beef dip, is a hot sandwich consisting of thinly sliced roast beef (or, sometimes, other meats) on a 'French roll' or baguette. It is usually served plain but a variation is to top with Swiss cheese, onions, and a dipping container of beef broth produced from the cooking process (termed au jus, 'with juice'). Beef stock, a light beef gravy, or beef consommé is sometimes substituted. The sandwich is an American invention, with the name seeming to refer to the style of bread, rather than any French origin...Two Los Angeles restaurants have claimed to be the birthplace of the French dip sandwich: Cole's Pacific Electric Buffet and Philippe the Original." Ah well. Philippe's sounds like a French emigrant's variant on the traditional Jewish deli and well worth a pilgrimage from LAX.

And now I'm envisioning a spinoff thread on Great Sandwiches in Amtrak Cities. French dip in LA, Primanti Brothers' in Pittsburgh, anywhere for a po' boy in New Orleans, a Philly cheesesteak, and more. Even a vegetarian can dream.

Okay, I had never heard of a "French dip" sandwich and this whetted my appetite. Which is unfortunate 'cause I'm a vegetarian and it sounds delicious. From Wikipedia: "A French dip sandwich, also known as a beef dip, is a hot sandwich consisting of thinly sliced roast beef (or, sometimes, other meats) on a 'French roll' or baguette. It is usually served plain but a variation is to top with Swiss cheese, onions, and a dipping container of beef broth produced from the cooking process (termed au jus, 'with juice'). Beef stock, a light beef gravy, or beef consommé is sometimes substituted. The sandwich is an American invention, with the name seeming to refer to the style of bread, rather than any French origin...Two Los Angeles restaurants have claimed to be the birthplace of the French dip sandwich: Cole's Pacific Electric Buffet and Philippe the Original." Ah well. Philippe's sounds like a French emigrant's variant on the traditional Jewish deli and well worth a pilgrimage from LAX.

And now I'm envisioning a spinoff thread on Great Sandwiches in Amtrak Cities. French dip in LA, Primanti Brothers' in Pittsburgh, anywhere for a po' boy in New Orleans, a Philly cheesesteak, and more. Even a vegetarian can dream.
Add a Texas Smoked Brisket Sandwich with all the Trimmings to your list!

I like their lamb version.

Don't forget a Maryland crab cake sandwich when you come to Baltimore!

Assuming train #1 arrives on time on April 29, I will be arriving LAUS at 05:35 and departing on train #14 at 09:51. I guess that will be too early for breakfast on #1 and too late for breakfast on #14. Ergo, breakfast somewhere in or near LAUS. All other things being equal, I would go for corned beef hash and poached eggs. I thought I would have to search far and wide, but I was delighted to see on their website that Philippe’s opens just five minutes after #1 arrives, and that, according to their menu, they do serve Bacon, Sausage, Turkey Sausage or Corned Beef Hash & Two Eggs. Breakfast problem solved!

By the way, that restaurant reminds me to ask: Does anyone know the name of the person who invented that simple beach footwear that folks recommend we wear in the Amtrak sleeping car showers? Bear with me here. As soon as someone bites, I’ll tie this all together. ;)

By the way, that restaurant reminds me to ask: Does anyone know the name of the person who invented that simple beach footwear that folks recommend we wear in the Amtrak sleeping car showers? Bear with me here. As soon as someone bites, I’ll tie this all together. ;)
We used to call them Zorries or Thongs (before the other thong happened).

Back