Questions, Capitol Limited, Regional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakCrescent20

Service Attendant
You're probably getting tired of my threads full of questions :lol: and I hope this will be my last.

1) Is the Roosevelt Road overpass (the one over the AMTK/METRA yards) safe to railfan during the day--should one exercise caution there?

2) What are the line [TSN] numbers for the Capitol Limited (coaches & sleepers)?

3) From which tracks in WAS, and from what gate, do Regionals usually depart? Is there advanced boarding for Business class pax, or is it a free-for-all? How far in advance of departure would boarding begin?

4) If I'm arriving on the CL in a sleeper and departing on a Regional, would I be able to board the Regional directly from there?

5) Is there any way to tell which Regionals will have Club-Dinettes and which will have 60 seat Amflt I's?

Thanks so much.

Question #1 I will defer to those who know more about Chicago.

Question #2: I can tell you that the sleeper line numbers are 2900, 2901, and 3000, 3001. Not sure about the coaches.

Question #3: Where the Regionals depart from in Washington is by chance. For certain they won't depart from the lowest numbered tracks centered around Gates A and B, as those are usually reserved for MARC trains. Platforms up to 20 are high level platforms (with one low one as an exception for 16), and 21 to 26 are low level platforms. The latter connect with the tunnel under Capitol Hill to/from Virginia. So if your train is coming from Virginia you can be sure you will board at Gates H through L, which feed the lower level Virginia platforms. If it is a weekday, VRE commuter trains also use these lower level platforms. If your train originates in Washington, it is more likely to be on one of the high level platforms, probably Gates C through F. But it is also possible for an originating train to leave from the low level platforms. Gates A and G are primarily for arrivals only (although Gate A also provides access to the MARC platforms).

I have seen some attendants board BC passengers before Coach, but not all of them do. I have also seen priority given to those with disabilites, small children, and senior citizens. If the boarding process begins too late, then you can expect a free-for-all. Lines for popular trains do form early, and they have been known to snake out of the boarding area and through the concourse.

Boarding should begin 15 minutes or so before departure, but I've seen it start later if they have a delay in backing a train to the station, or the train is late arriving from Virginia. Keep in mind that if it is coming from the south, an engine change has to be performed while the train is in Washington. Often they will not begin the boarding process until the engine change is complete and the train has been powered up with the electric engine.

Question #4: That depends on just when the CL shows up in Washington, and what Regional train you will be catching from there. On an OTOL fest trip 2 months ago, Train #30 came into WAS past the time the connection should have left. Thankfully they held it for us, as it was the last one of the day that goes to points north of New York.

Question #5: No not really. You don't know until you board what kind of cafe car your train will have. Just be thankful that Washington has a commissary and they won't be out of anything when you board, even if the train came from points south.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I just now realized that my original post as an error. Question number 4 should have been if I am arriving on the CL in a sleeper, can I board the Regional directly from the lounge?

One more thing, the sleeper #s go up from the diner, i.e. 3001 is the first, 3000 is the second sleeper (closest to the diner), right?

One more thing, the sleeper #s go up from the diner, i.e. 3001 is the first, 3000 is the second sleeper (closest to the diner), right?
If the sleepers are in front of the diner, then yes, 3000 is the closest to the Diner. I *think* the same holds true if the sleepers are in the rear of the consist, but don't know.

Thanks! I just now realized that my original post as an error. Question number 4 should have been if I am arriving on the CL in a sleeper, can I board the Regional directly from the lounge?
You used to be able to do this.

Slightly paranoid Amtrak officials ended this practice around May 2007, unfortunately.

Amtrak's train boarding practices are a pet peeve of mine, after seeing in the mid-1980's how DB somehow managed to get IC trains (then the erste Klasse ones) at major stations loaded in three minutes.

Slightly paranoid Amtrak officials ended this practice around May 2007, unfortunately.
Amtrak's train boarding practices are a pet peeve of mine, after seeing in the mid-1980's how DB somehow managed to get IC trains (then the erste Klasse ones) at major stations loaded in three minutes.
Not only can you not board the Regionals, Palmetto, or any other train that does not have a first class or sleeper from the WAS lounge, they do not announce them in the lounge. Keep your eye on the clock and departure board or you'll miss your train.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back