Questions for a future trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mp-44

Train Attendant
I want to go to St AugistineFla sometime in the near future. where is the closest station and is there bus service. Nothing is mentioned in the schedules. Do they still back the train into Jacksonville? mp-44.....

I think your best bet would be to get off in Jacksonville and rent a car. Reading the previous timetable, there is no bus service between JAX and St. Augustine.

I want to go to St AugistineFla sometime in the near future. where is the closest station and is there bus service. Nothing is mentioned in the schedules. Do they still back the train into Jacksonville? mp-44.....

Actually service from Jacksonville to St. Augustine, Daytona Beach, etc straight down the east coast to Miami was halted by a serious long term strike.

This was the Florida East Coast Railroad. The big strike happened in the last 60's I think. There was fear for passengers, sabotage, deliberate wrecks, etc. The long distance passenger trains from New York and Chicago were permanently diverted over to the competing Seaboard tracks south of Jax, thus missing St.Augustine completely.

Not sure if freight was diverted. I do know one lone daily passenger train ran for awhile bewteen Jax and Miami.

So, that leaves the Greyhound bus, which at one time, I know, had good service.

Not sure about the backing into Jax. I do know it is a competely different station in a differetn location. Not sure if backing is needed or not. Others can tell you that. .

JAX Amtrak does have a convenient bus connection - the Amtrak station is one end of a JTA bus route. I'm not sure if JTA has a connector bus to St. Augustine, but the JTA bus will get you to downtown JAX. JTA web site is

http://www.jtaonthemove.com/services/bus_sched.aspx

I looked up Greyhound and they have four buses from Jax to St. Augustine, takes about 45 minutes, and the one that leave a bit after 9 am costs a little over ten bucks. The Greyhound station at JAX is open 24 hours and is located downtown, either on or very close to the route the bus ("Moncrief-A") takes from the Amtrak station to downtown. The JTA bus service is fine - we took that from Amtrak to downtown and back once for dinner while waiting for Sunset Limited.

JAX Amtrak does have a convenient bus connection - the Amtrak station is one end of a JTA bus route. I'm not sure if JTA has a connector bus to St. Augustine, but the JTA bus will get you to downtown JAX. JTA web site ishttp://www.jtaonthemove.com/services/bus_sched.aspx

I looked up Greyhound and they have four buses from Jax to St. Augustine, takes about 45 minutes, and the one that leave a bit after 9 am costs a little over ten bucks. The Greyhound station at JAX is open 24 hours and is located downtown, either on or very close to the route the bus ("Moncrief-A") takes from the Amtrak station to downtown. The JTA bus service is fine - we took that from Amtrak to downtown and back once for dinner while waiting for Sunset Limited.
Thanks for everyone's help sounds like a good trip to do this fall and take my long one's during the summer mp-44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back