Quick RT from Toledo to Chicago - Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

OBS Chief
All;

This weekend, decided to do something new and to a round trip to Chicago from Toledo, where we're moving and I've been camped out working the past few weeks. I booked my trip to Chicago on the Lake Shore Ltd, and return on the Capitol Ltd. First time east of Chicago on Amtrak, and obviously first experience with real single level diners in a long time. I wanted to run a few questions past those of you who've spent more time with these trains than I.

- First, does the LSL diner open for Breakfast on the way into Chicago? I see arrival is 9:45am if on time, (I know there's a website out there that charts OTP stats for trains, but I'm forgetting what it is).

- Is there anything like a lounge car on the LSL? Is it a hybrid amcafe / coach?

- What's the coach situation? Amfleet II? How crowded does coach get on this train?

On the return leg, the Capitol Ltd, I believe is the Superliner train. Only real question for this, does the diner open and if so would it be fully booked by sleepers? Failing that, is there a sightseer lounge on the train, assume food is similar to the western trains?

Thanks in advance to everyone helping out with questions.

BTW ... I dropped by the depot last weekend to check out the parking situation. Lots are located between the station and the Norfolk Southern police station at the same level. Looks well lit, agent on duty indicated there hasn't been much of an issue with break ins. Very friendly and helpful agent, wish Amtrak could clone her and put her in more stations. Ahead of me, another person who hadn't ridden the train before had a raft of questions, and she was very patient talking her through what she'd need and all.

I'll take a stab at these:

1) The diner on the LSL (full diner) should open around 6:30. If you're lucky, you might get the new Viewliner Diner (8400).

2) Dinner on the Capital may begin before you leave the station. I don't know if seating will be available for coach pax, but suspect it will be.

3) The Cap does have a SSL w/cafe downstairs.

the LSL has a Amfleet Cafe, It should be a full cafe car with tables on both sides of the counter. The Cafe car will be located on the Boston section of the train.

peter

Our experience is that the LSL is a crowded train. Have never seen an empty seat. Often we do not get to sit together. They announce breakfast and the cafe opens early. We usually do coach so we are ready for coffee.

The coaches on the LSL are Amfleet IIs, with the huge seats. Occasionally an Amfleet I is stuck into the consist as well, which can be unpleasant overnight.

The LSL has a "cafe/lounge" which is an Amfleet II. If you haven't seen it I can't describe it very well. It has the small windows of an Amfleet II, a cafe service counter in the center, and tables in the rest of the car.

Coach frequently comes close to filling up on the LSL, so don't expect a lot of empty seats around you. It's rarely actually completely full though; 70-80% load factors are what I'd expect.

The diner on the LSL is nice. One of the three crews is especially excellent, but I never manage to remember their names...

A lot of people don't seem to go to the diner for breakfast so you shouldn't have trouble getting into the diner for breakfast on the LSL.

On the CL you are likely to be able to get seated in the diner as a coach passenger. You might have to be a bit pushy to get in the front of the "line" of coach passengers waiting for dinner on the CL; tell your car attendant that you want dinner in the diner as soon as you get on, and find out what to do. The dining car staff usually goes through the coach cars in a specific order and you can be shafted if you're in the last car they go through, or if you're downstairs and they forget to check downstairs, but if you alert the car attendant this can often be avoided. (This is a general rule for all the bilevel trains.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back