Quiet Car Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger

Train Attendant
I've rode the Quiet Car once and loved it, and hope to to ride it again Monday. Dumb question: I know people like to sleep, relax on car but do they go so far as to want the shades pulled down so the sun doesn't disturb them? I do want to watch out the window(s) and if most people have them down, maybe I'll opt for the regular (noisy) cars.

I've rode the Quiet Car once and loved it, and hope to to ride it again Monday. Dumb question: I know people like to sleep, relax on car but do they go so far as to want the shades pulled down so the sun doesn't disturb them? I do want to watch out the window(s) and if most people have them down, maybe I'll opt for the regular (noisy) cars.
I wouldn't worry about shades being down. Most people are working or reading and during the day, few are sleeping. Enjoy your ride!

I wouldn't worry about shades being down. Most people are working or reading and during the day, few are sleeping. Enjoy your ride!
I do understand his concern, however, because that's the way it is on most LD flights. Shades down during daylight hours, except during meals and take off/landing. I don't like it, because that's why I pick a window seat... to look out the window. Obviously, if the sun is directly "in yer face," then it won't be good window viewing anyway. But I have had some FA's come and forcibly lower the shades, telling me I disturb the other passengers. I used to get real good with hiding under my blanket to look out the window.

Pity I had to resort to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gather you will be traveling on a Northeast Regional (NER) train judging from your profile naming Richmond as your home station. If that is the case, you probably will not have window curtains. I could be wrong (and stand corrected if so) but there are no window curtains on NER trains. On the other hand, I believe Acela trains do have window curtains and if that is the case you will have wait until WAS since Acela trains do not travel south beyond WAS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quiet Cars are offered on Acela Express, Capitol Corridor, Hiawatha, Keystone, and Northeast Regional trains. Not sure that any of those services have window shades/curtains.

Some BC cars on the NEC do have curtains. However, I can guarantee 100% that they will not be pulled down! They go side to side, not up and down!
laugh.gif

Business class on Acela does have curtains and some passengers do pull them shut.

Don't worry about it. If your seat mate wants the curtains pulled shut if the cars has them, then just move to another seat. No big deal.

I do understand his concern, however, because that's the way it is on most LD flights. Shades down during daylight hours, except during meals and take off/landing. I don't like it, because that's why I pick a window seat... to look out the window. Obviously, if the sun is directly "in yer face," then it won't be good window viewing anyway. But I have had some FA's come and forcibly lower the shades, telling me I disturb the other passengers. I used to get real good with hiding under my blanket to look out the window.

Pity I had to resort to that.
Another reason that I fly as little as possible. After all, even with the shades pulled down, it's hard to sleep in a 31'' pitch seat, so I never sleep anyway. Really annoying when FAs come and tell you to close them. I'd rather take the bus if the train dosen't go there instead of flying. The buses also have slightly larger seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back