QuikTrak Ticket Pickup Options

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

transit54

Conductor
I'm making a trip between Montpelier, VT and Essex Jct, VT on Monday. I only learned about this on Monday, so I was outside the window of getting a ticket mailed to me. And I avoid getting a handwritten ticket whenever possible, because it makes it a huge hassle to get my AGR points and I can't use my NARP discount.

As it turns out, a friend of mine is visiting this weekend, and at my urging, he's taking the Vermonter. So I'm just going to have an agent book my ticket for pickup at a QuikTrak and I'll have him bring it to me. However, since I always use my AGR card to activate a QT machine, I can't remember if I can just give him the reservation number and have him type it in the machine. I'm not sure if he has a printer - otherwise I'd just send him my barcode from the reservation e-mail.

What are my options here? Does the main QT screen let you enter a reservation number? Or can he do it after he swipes a credit card?

They only work with many options.

Option A. credit card with the name that the reservation is under.

B. The credit card it was booked with

C. AGR Card

D. Barcode

Or you can goto a station with a ticket agent bring ID and pick up your tickets that way.

But if you use a credit card it MUST have your name on it.

I find the barcode the easiest way. Simple as one step. Put your barcode in front of the scanner and your reservation pops up.

Good Luck,

Stephen

They only work with many options.

But if you use a credit card it MUST have your name on it.
I'm not sure about that. I always book with my AGR MC (for 2X points :p ) but a few weeks ago, I tried using one of my other credit cards in the QT. Instead of just pulling up my reservations, it asked "Enter your reservation number." - but when I cancelled it and started again with my AGR MC, it automatically pulled up my reservations.

Any credit card will activate the machine. Once activated, just entering a reservation number will pull up and print the tickets without regard to what name is on the credit card or the reservation, much less whether that credit card was used to pay for the reservation.

As noted by other's, inserting the card used for payment however simplifies things. The QT automatically displays all reservations paid for with that card.

Thanks for all the info.

I just called reservations to book the ticket. For whatever reason, I went through Julie first, and then spoke to a rep and gave her my reservation number. I told her I wanted to pick the ticket up at Bridgeport, CT and that I wanted to pay for the reservation now. She told me that I couldn't do this, that I had to pay for it at the QT machine tomorrow. Of course I know this to not be the case, so I pressed the issue a bit. To which she then replied,

"Unfortunately, sir, we are government subsidized. Our computers aren't smart enough to recognize that you've already paid."

I got a good laugh at that explanation...I'll just call back and get another rep.

Thanks for all the info.
I just called reservations to book the ticket. For whatever reason, I went through Julie first, and then spoke to a rep and gave her my reservation number. I told her I wanted to pick the ticket up at Bridgeport, CT and that I wanted to pay for the reservation now. She told me that I couldn't do this, that I had to pay for it at the QT machine tomorrow. Of course I know this to not be the case, so I pressed the issue a bit. To which she then replied,

"Unfortunately, sir, we are government subsidized. Our computers aren't smart enough to recognize that you've already paid."

I got a good laugh at that explanation...I'll just call back and get another rep.
To put this issue to bed, I'll shed some light on the subject. You will need a pre-paid reservation, you can do this on-line at Amtrak.com or over the phone with 1-800-USA-RAIL, and speaking to an agent (press 0 a whole bunch if you dont like 'Julie') regaurdless of what the last agent told you they CAN make a pre-paid res for you, call back and get a new agent. To pick up your ticket using a quick-trak machine insert ANY credit card into the machine to activate it. It will ask what you would like to do and give you some options. Chose the 'pick up existing reservation option. The machine will then ask for the reservation number, enter yours. The card will NOT be charged unless the reservation has yet to be paid for. Tickets will print, be sure to get ALL the tickets, the machines tend to be slow, and they arnt perfect. you will notice that the tickets will A require a signature in the upper left hand corner, and they will have 'Photo ID req on-board' so be sure to have your valid photo ID when you go to travel. Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back