Racism on a Train? No!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"...the more racism we encountered. Coming from Los Angeles, and having a L.A. mentallity which is that money talks, I was nieve in thinking that if I flashed a little money around, that would get me respect and preferencial treatment on a train. In L.A., they don't care that I'm Black. As long as I have money to pay for dinner at the Stinking Rose, or VIP Laker tickets, who cares right? "

I guess you found out who cared, right? Perhaps it has more to do with your attitude than theirs. Sounds like you feel your "money" makes you better than everyone else. Sounds like you got the smack-down you so richly deserved.

I find that treating everyone with respect, having a rich store of easy-going patience ever at the ready, and handing out smiles like candy when traveling gets me excellent service far more often than not. Perhaps you should check your attitude along with your luggage the next time you travel past the L.A. city limits. Maybe then you'll find that other folks will be happy to help you out.

Everydaymatters said:
TransAtlantic, you said "whether a claim of discrimination should be taken seriously".    I think the original post by Ebony Batiste is a hoax.  Who in their right mind would honestly believe that you could get your own way by flashing money?  I think the person who started this discussion did it only to get things riled up.  I don't think any of it really happened.
I'm with you Everydaymatters, I think it was as you said" to get things riled

up". You noticed he never came back with a reply. I guess the forum surprised him by not responding with proclaimed rampant discrimination.

Also , I guess the 180 day topic stole some of his thunder....... ;) ...BD

Racism is uncalled for, period.

One thing any company's personel should always be mindful of is any action that may "appear" to be racist!

One never knows when another is or has been offended. Even though I believe in the "it works two ways" policy, a company representitive always needs to be the one to step up to the plate regarding a complaint of any kind. And only when there is nothing more to be said or action to take, then chalk that customer up as "one who can't be pleased" at whatever the cost! If that original poster encountered such a situation, give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they were able to find the proper route to take with their issue. I am sure Amtrak will take the necessary action. OBS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back