Rail Pass Adventures

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeets

Train Attendant
What have been your favorite experiences of traveling using a Rail Pass? I have traveled many years by train but this will be my first time using the Rail Pass and I can hardly wait!! I just love BEING on the train!!

I did a huge rail trip in September, but we didn’t use the rail pass (but we looked into it) due to our want for sleeper space at good prices. The biggest problem with the pass is all the restrictions on when you can actually book and if there is space available.

But YES!!!!! My wife and I LOVED being on the train and have already booked a trip for February on the Empire Builder to experience a winter ride!!

When we travelled on Amtrak with our children many years ago, we used the passes frequently. The best part was the ability to add multiple segments and not return via the same route. That is why I suggested to you that your Segment 7 would not be permitted, as "retracing" the same route on the same train was definitely prohibited "back in the day". I was glad and surprised when you pulled it off. The workaround that was possible a long time ago was to take the Zephyr to SLC and transfer to The Pioneer to Portland. It sounds like you have a great trip planned, although don't rule out the occasional upgrade of a segment to Business Class or sleeper if funds permit.

Back