Rail Pass Better?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manlymatt83

Train Attendant
So I'm looking to go from Boston to Winslow, AZ for July 4th weekend. It seems that round trip coach fair is well over $650. So wouldn't it be better for me to buy the 14 day rail pass for much less than that and just use two legs for Boston -> Winslow and Winslow -> Boston?

So I'm looking to go from Boston to Winslow, AZ for July 4th weekend. It seems that round trip coach fair is well over $650. So wouldn't it be better for me to buy the 14 day rail pass for much less than that and just use two legs for Boston -> Winslow and Winslow -> Boston?
Actually, you would be using four legs: Boston-Chicago, Chicago-Winslow, Winslow-Chicago, & Chicago-Boston. Each time you board a different train, you would be using a segment.

:)

for sure, the rail pass for 15 days/8 segments is $389, youll want to plan more segments, perhaps

go to LA, up the coast and back to Chicago on one of the several routes!!!Bon voyage!!!!!!!!

The problem with the rail pass is that it's only good for the low bucket price on any given train. At this point in time, and especially for the 4th of July time frame, it is highly unlikely that any Amtrak train still has seats available at the low bucket price.

When there are no seats at the low bucket price, then you have two choices. One, don't ride that train. Two, pay the diference between the low bucket price and the current price.

So it would be highly unlikely that you'd save any money by buying the pass at this point in time.

One thing to consider however, is that if you book a sleeper, you always pay the low bucket price for your rail fare. Rail fare is what everyone pays to go from point A to point B, be they in coach or in a sleeper. Of course you also have to pay the sleeper charge too, and it could be at any one of 5 bucket levels at this point in time.

Actually, you would be using four legs: Boston-Chicago, Chicago-Winslow, Winslow-Chicago, & Chicago-Boston. Each time you board a different train, you would be using a segment.
OK, but the 14 day pass allows 6 legs... so it's still cheaper, and I'd have 2 legs left...

The problem with the rail pass is that it's only good for the low bucket price on any given train. At this point in time, and especially for the 4th of July time frame, it is highly unlikely that any Amtrak train still has seats available at the low bucket price.
When there are no seats at the low bucket price, then you have two choices. One, don't ride that train. Two, pay the diference between the low bucket price and the current price.

So it would be highly unlikely that you'd save any money by buying the pass at this point in time.

One thing to consider however, is that if you book a sleeper, you always pay the low bucket price for your rail fare. Rail fare is what everyone pays to go from point A to point B, be they in coach or in a sleeper. Of course you also have to pay the sleeper charge too, and it could be at any one of 5 bucket levels at this point in time.
Ah I didn't realize that.... wow, then the rail pass really isn't that good of a deal over the Summer...

you people always say that but its not true. i have done tons of test bookings and it the railfare never changes it could be 193 i click sleeper and it still shows rail far 193 or whatever it is at the time.

you people always say that but its not true. i have done tons of test bookings and it the railfare never changes it could be 193 i click sleeper and it still shows rail far 193 or whatever it is at the time.
So this close it would be better to just pay straight rail fare? Ouch - over $600 to go coach from Boston to Flagstaff.... so expensive =(

Sorry, this is wrong. There is a certain number of seats available on every train for Rail Pass holders. If these seats are already booked you will have to buy a normal ticket at the normal price. So it's recommended to book early (one month probably isn't enough). Best would be to ask an Amtrak agent wether your Plan would be possible with a Rail Pass.

I don't know whether this restriction also applies when you are booking a Roomette for your trip.

A Rail Pass is a very good deal, I get 15000 miles for just $749. B)

But at this price you have to deal with certain restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, this is wrong. There is a certain number of seats available on every train for Rail Pass holders. If these seats are already booked you will have to buy a normal ticket at the normal price. So it's recommended to book early (one month probably isn't enough). Best would be to ask an Amtrak agent wether your Plan would be possible with a Rail Pass.

I don't know whether this restriction also applies when you are booking a Roomette for your trip.

A Rail Pass is a very good deal, I get 15000 miles for just $749. B)

But at this price you have to deal with certain restrictions.
I agree. As long as you book early (>1-2 months ahead), you should be able to get the Rail Pass for the summer. For example, I booked the 15 Day $389 Rail Pass in March for a trip from July 8-22 and was able to get all the segments that I wanted. The key is to book early so that you can get the low bucket seats. Once again, though, 1 month probably is not enough time.

The key is to book early so that you can get the low bucket seats. Once again, though, 1 month probably is not enough time.
Of course, there is nothing to lose by trying.

Maybe online you can make your reservations at the same time as purchasing your Pass? Then just don't buy it if the reservations don't satisfy you.

Even if you have to pay for the Pass first and THEN call to book the reservations, you can STILL cancel if the reservations are not to your taste. Fully refundable until Tickets and Pass are printed, and refundable in principle up until the start of Travel.

At least, so I understand. This too could easily be confirmed with a phone call.

The key is to book early so that you can get the low bucket seats. Once again, though, 1 month probably is not enough time.
Of course, there is nothing to lose by trying.

Maybe online you can make your reservations at the same time as purchasing your Pass? Then just don't buy it if the reservations don't satisfy you.

Even if you have to pay for the Pass first and THEN call to book the reservations, you can STILL cancel if the reservations are not to your taste. Fully refundable until Tickets and Pass are printed, and refundable in principle up until the start of Travel.

At least, so I understand. This too could easily be confirmed with a phone call.
Excellent. Will check this out. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back