Rail Pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

winterskigirl

Service Attendant
I'm thinking about a 15 day rail pass for next year. I live on the west coast and have never been east of Chicago. What are some of the top northeast routes you'd recommend and why?

The Cardinal's route through the New River Gorge rivals the CZ for scenery. The westbound schedule has the best viewing.

The run up the Hudson between NYC and Albany is spectacular, although it makes me want to find the 20th Century's dining car and order some trout with Eva Marie Saint.

I live on the west coast also, and those two and the Silvers I can speak to from experience. The Silvers are no great shakes in my opinion, as they spend a lot of time in "tree tunnels"

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you sleep well in coach? I'm guessing your trip to Chicago was on the Empire Builder.

From Seattle take one of the new Amtrak Cascade Talgos at least to PDX or maybe all the way to EUG. From Eugene after a good nights sleep, take the Coast Starlight to Sacramento. You'll have 4-5 hours in SAC before you get on the California Zephyr. Take the CZ as far as Glenwood Springs. Spend 24 hours in Glenwood Springs and take the next CZ all the way to Chicago. Take the Capitol Limited overnight to Washington DC. Spend at least 24 hours in DC before getting on the Cardinal back to Chicago. Your other option if the Cardinal is not running on the day you want to leave DC would be to ride the Crescent all the way to New Orleans. If you ride the Crescent ride the City of New Orleans back to Chicago.

From Chicago it is back to Seattle on the Empire Builder.

I try to avoid more than 3 consecutive nights sleeping in coach.

I never used a 15 day Rail Pass. I always use a 30 day pass if it is cheaper than my senior discounted fare for where I'm going. Last year's trip was cheaper from Spokane to Cleveland and return than the Rail Pass

I did just that a couple of years ago with the 15-day rail pass. One of the routings that I recommend is to take the Adirondack up the Hudson Valley and along Lake Champlain from New York City to Port Kent, NY, then take the ferry across to Burlington, VT, and back to New York City on the Vermonter the next day. This route requires an overnight stay in Burlington, but is extremely scenic.

Scenic Highlights: Hudson River Valley, Adirondack Mountains, Lake Champlain, Green Mountains, White River Valley, Connecticut River Valley, White Mountains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much! I'm beginning to plot my route now. Think I'll fly to Chicago as I've done most routes west of Chicago. I'll take the Lake Shore Ltd. to New York, Adirondack up to Port Kent. Take that ferry over to Burlington, VT and then go down on the Vermonter! Return to Chicago via the Cardinal.

For those who've done the 15 day rail pass. Can you break up the trips? I think one rule is you have to use all legs within 6 months of the first trip.

Your trip must be completed within the 15th day after you start the trip.

Which train(s) west of Chicago have you not been on?

If the airfare to Chicago is more than $230, buy a 30 day pass and use as many segments (up to 12) as you want to.

My favorite 24 hour stop overs on LD trains are Whitefish MT, Glenwood Springs CO and Albuquerque, NM.

If you buy a 15, 30 or 45 day pass, your trip must start within 180 days of the purchase date.

So, I'm a little confused about tomfuller's comment, "Your trip must be completed within the 15th day after you start the trip". I was hopping to break the 15 days into 2 separate trips of 4 segments each.

Travel must begin within 180 days of the date the pass is issued. All travel must be completed within 180 days of reserving the first travel segment or within the selected travel duration of the pass once the first travel segment is reserved, whichever comes first.

http://www.amtrak.com/take-the-trains-across-america-with-usa-rail-pass

So, I'm a little confused about tomfuller's comment, "Your trip must be completed within the 15th day after you start the trip". I was hopping to break the 15 days into 2 separate trips of 4 segments each.
Travel must begin within 180 days of the date the pass is issued. All travel must be completed within 180 days of reserving the first travel segment or within the selected travel duration of the pass once the first travel segment is reserved, whichever comes first.

This is the part you are missing, I travel only with the 15 or 30 day pass. You can use the pass anytime up to 180 days from purchase, BUT once you start your travel, you HAVE to finish your travel within the 15 days. You last trip must end before midnight on the 15th day.

This is the part you are missing, I travel only with the 15 or 30 day pass. You can use the pass anytime up to 180 days from purchase, BUT once you start your travel, you HAVE to finish your travel within the 15 days. You last trip must end before midnight on the 15th day.
The website could be worded more clearly, but this is correct. That's why it's called a "15 day" pass.

On my wishlist: 15-day pass available for AGR points redemption (not holding my breath)

Thanks for the clarification. I should have been able to figure this out but the Damn chemo brain strikes again :wacko:

Thanks for the clarification. I should have been able to figure this out but the Damn chemo brain strikes again :wacko:
Don't worry, I have fibro, so I know all about the brain fog issue. :blink:
I also have fibro as one of my many medical problems. I always feel like the morning after but I never enjoyed the night before!

oldtimer aka Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back