RailCamp

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparantly today we'll have the geometry car and theatre car from WIL to WAS, and a private Acela car from WAS-WIL.

I trust you'll find the accommodations acceptable? :p

BTW, I don't want to start trouble and I may take flak for saying this....but your leader is QUITE powerful and has the ear of many. If you happen to get him alone (don't force the issue), maybe you can tell him about your book and (politely) ask him about the policy. Do not ask for an exception, just ask him if there is basis and could the policy be revisited. It may not help in the immediate future but perhaps it can be implanted in the mind of the new regime and other will benefit down the road. Such a move should only be done IF you happen to have a tiny bit of privacy. After all, he came down the same road as you. His love of the operation started at a very young age which included rail camp and internships. He's a fan of the future railroader.

Otherwise, you may also run into someone who is known around these parts (if said person isn't sent off to chart gaseous anomalies along the neutral zone). :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the Tacoma one last year, and it was absolutely awesome!

Amtrak was just one day, and all six (vs. the five for East) were awesome, and may or may not include throttle time on a steam locomotive ;)

The volunteers are great.

If you have any general questions, I'll try to answer them or ask friends who have attended East. I'm attending Northwest again this summer.
My main question is if you have any advice on how my son can better his chances of being accepted. I did receive some good information already, but I'd love to hear any advice you have. He would most likely attend Northwest, since it is closer.
It's a fairly easy process. I don't know of any specific things they look for, but there is a short essay.

I'd suggest keeping some references in mind for when you apply. I believe they want two to be teachers.

There is a short essay involved, but it doesn't need to be too long or elaborate.

Mine was about two short paragraphs.

I'd say anyone with an interest in trains has a good chance of being accepted.

The earlier you apply the better.

Feel free to ask if you have any additional questions.

Aaron

Tis the season. At least Amtrak hasn't eliminated this program, although I haven't heard about a day trip to any of the facilities mentioned....yet:

NRHS RailCamp

2018 Session Schedules

RailCamp East (Newark, Del.): June 24-30, 2018.

RailCamp East - Newark, Del. - Amtrak, a longtime NRHS partner, will host campers at its High-Speed Rail Training Facility and National Operations Center in Wilmington, DE. Students will be exposed to the daily operations of America’s intercity passenger railroad. Students will also spend two days in Strasburg, PA at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania and the Strasburg Rail Road, where they will learn about the daily operations of a historic steam railroad and the restoration of steam locomotives and vintage passenger equipment through hands-on experiences. Students will explore the railroad museum’s extensive displays of railroad equipment and artifacts, and campers will learn about the unique history and culture of Pennsylvania’s railroads and the influence they had on the growth of the United States. Lodging and meals will be provided at the University of Delaware in Newark, DE.
RailCamp Northwest (Tacoma, Wash.): July 29-August 5, 2018.

RailCamp Northwest - Tacoma, Wash. - Amtrak will host students for a day at the newly-renovated King Street Station in Seattle, WA and its adjacent maintenance facility. Students will visit the operations center of Tacoma Municipal Belt Line (Tacoma Rail) and participate in a working intermodal operation. The Northwest Railway Museum at Snoqualmie, WA and the Mt. Rainier Railroad and Logging Museum at Mineral, WA will also host the students for historic railroad experiences, where campers will help with preservation activities, physical plant maintenance, and train operations. Additional time at Seattle’s Sound Transit commuter rail facility will provide students with insight into commuter and light rail transit operations. Lodging and meals will be provided at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, WA.

I've heard the University of Delaware is serving Dannon Yogurt and Cold Chicken Salad for the meals. That's on par with the sleeping car passengers will receive. You'll get a true experience indeed!
default_tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back