Railfanning near Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEmpireBuilder

Train Attendant
Hey guys.

I'm going to Boston next month via Acela, which means I'm looking to railfan around there. From what I've heard, Mansfield is the best place, with 150-mph Acelas and 125 Regionals, and 2 tracks and low platforms for the full high-speed blast. Is Mansfield in fact in the 150-mph zone? If not, where near Boston is?

Thanks!

If you like riding an original PCC line, Boston has a great one. Its an easy trip from south street

Yes, Mansfield is in the 150 mph zone. You'll be able to enjoy riding at that speed after you leave Providence. Enjoy!

Mike
You'll also be doing 150 between Kingston and roughly the PVD airport before arriving in Providence.

I believe the OP is looking for where to WATCH the 150 mph trains, not ride them.

I believe the OP is looking for where to WATCH the 150 mph trains, not ride them.
That was my impression too - not to mention that I believe Mattapan has a reputation for being a rather unsavory part of the city that I'm not sure anyone unfamiliar with the area would want to visit. Maybe that reputation has changed, but I know for a while it was rather crime-heavy.

Riding a PCC sounds like a blast to me. Especially since I didn't even know such a thing existed until I saw this thread. Is the area it travels through dangerous on a statistically significant level or is it more of an emotionally significant concern?

Last edited by a moderator:
its a great ride and the line is endangered. I ridden it a few times always felt OK. But they considering replacing them, so the clock is ticking

If I was the op I take time to ride the PCC's. The video was great. I grew up not far from the Shaker heights transit lines. I can remember them running mu'ed together. We took them for granted and now they are gone. I take time on every trip to Boston to take a ride. I understand wanting to take pictures of a 150mph Acela train. But riding and photo graphing a genuine PCC operations is a whole other thing. Their time is coming to a close, its time to get your pictures, instead of wondering what was I thinking. Just saying.

Here is a little background on the Mattapan Trolley, like many of Boston's rapid transit lines it was built using ROW of older rail lines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashmont%E2%80%93Mattapan_High_Speed_Line

If the weather is nice consider a ride on the Blue Line to Wonderland Station, the Blue Line utilizes overhead wire and 3rd rail during their trips.

A walk along the promenade at Revere Beach is usually great for people watching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Line_%28MBTA%29

Enjoy

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back