Railway bridge under construction collapse in North-Eastern India...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a terrible tragedy and things like that shouldn't have to happen. I have to admit that when I first saw your headline I had misread it and I had thought that I was in Indiana as opposed to India.

At least 26 people have been killed and more are feared missing after a railway bridge under construction collapsed in north-eastern India, officials said.

India bridge collapse: At least 26 killed at construction site
Looks suspiciously like the girder launching cantilever structure collapsed.

This is in the State of Mizoram, on the Bhairabi - Sairang (Sihhmui) Rail Link to bring rail connection to the capital of Mizoram State. Bhairabi is the current rail head at the extreme North near the border of Mizoram with Assam. On the map below this route is that little line from the northern border of Mizoram State to a third of the way down. The bridge in question is, very close to the southern end of it.The map shows in red lettering, all the new railway lines under construction under the jurisdiction of the Northeast Frontier Railway.

slide2-n.jpg

Last edited:
A little off topic I know, but are there any rail connections between India and Myanmar?
Not yet. But one is planned through Manipur (Imphal) via Moreh at the border IIRC, ironically about the same route that was followed by the Japanese into India during the Second World War. There will be a break of gauge at the border. The initial survey has been done as I understand it.

Read the Further Extensions section of the Wikipedia page on the Bhairabi - Sairang Line for information of planned connection to Myanmar Railway.

I think Bangladesh also plans a connection along the coast or nearby from Cox's Bazar.

Last edited:
Back