Re; Coast Starlight to Seattle (25+ hours) COACH

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TrainsR4Me

Our family (3 of us) is contemplating whether to take the Coast Starlight from San Jose or Salinas up to Seattle in late July. We'll be joining our extended family on a cruise to Alaska embarking in Seattle.

The ship leaves on July 31st. I was thinking we could catch the train on the 29th. It's supposed to roll into Seattle at 8:30 PM on the 30th. I already know to add anywhere from 4 hours and more to that time. Is that right? There is no chance that we would be so late that we can't embark on the ship the next early afternoon. is there???!! I hate to leave even another day earlier if we can help it. Hotels are costly! As it is, if we do this, we'd have to leave on our return train trip on August 8 instead of the 7th when our ship disembarks. There isn't enough time to catch the train. So, that means another night at the hotel. Oh, we could also see some of Seattle, so it's not all bad. :)

Since we cannot afford a room, we would be in coach. My husband can't handle it when people snore, though. :( I guess that would be a chance we would take.

One of the reasons we are thinking of the train is because we've always taken the Coast Starlight down to Southern CA, but never North. It would be a nice change with new scenery. Also, I have to admit, I'm afraid of flying. :(

So, now we have to decide whether this train trip would be feasible. I absolutely love relaxing on a train watching the world go by and with my nose in a good book. And, the seats are very comfortable. I do feel bad that my husband would probably need to share with someone since our daughter and I will be together. Not so bad during the day, but it could be a challenge at night. :eek:

Thanks for any and all your thoughts on this!

Some thoughts:

I'm sorry to ead that you were unable to get sleeper accomodations. There is something to be said for sleeping while laying down versus sleepeing in a sitting, semi-upright position. Your husband may be able to find a nearby seat where he could stretch out a bit, which might make him a little more comfortable. I'd recommend going to the local pharmacy and purchasing some ear plugs in order to gain some additional peace & quiet over the course of the night spent aboard. The "Travel Pillows" seem to work ok as well. Whether or not your husband has to sit with another person depends upon how full the train is at the time (obviously).

Even though the Starlight travels via Union Pacific RR tracks almost the entire way to Seattle, you should get to your destination with time to spare. Be advised, though, that Union Pacific has had more than its share of capacity constraints & train traffic jams throughout its' entire system, and your train may endure some freight-related or "host" (i.e., landlord) railroad-related delays enroute. Arriving in Seattle a day before the ship departs is a good idea.

That's all I can think of to type right now. Other members of the forum will no doubt add their comments.

It really sounds like a fun trip. One of these days, when I finally graduate from Grad School, I'll get out west to take a trip aboard the starlight.

Aloha

Since you are boarding late at night the small roomette might be worth the cost as it will include 2, possibly 3 meals. The scenery the next day is beautiful.

I am fortunate to have taken this route twice.

Enjoy :D :p

Since you will be spending a night in Seattle upon arrival, you will be able to catch up on any lost sleep from spending a night in coach. However, it is a good idea to take soft ear plugs and maybe bring a larger pillow for some extra comfort. The key idea when you sleep in coach is to make yourself relax. Granted, you won't be in the best postion sitting semi-upright, but you will be able to rest.

Back