Received survey call about Digi-Player on Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I just received a survey call last night about the Digi-Player on the Coast Starlight. The questions ranged from "would you rent one?", "would you ride in coach more if available?", and "would you ride in a sleeper if the player was free?".

To me it seemed to be a waste of time and money since I can't see how having the player for $20 or free would in any way affect my riding habits.

What is strange is that just 2 weeks ago I rode in coach on the CS and rented one. Is this a coincidence?

What is strange is that just 2 weeks ago I rode in coach on the CS and rented one. Is this a coincidence?
Maybe... maybe not. Did you reserve the DigEplayer directly from Railway Media or from an Amtrak Rez agent? I noticed that Reservation Sales Agents are plugging the players. I was asked if I wanted to rent one when I made my reservation for the Auto Train. I declined. I may still rent one. I just didn't want to commit to one at that minute.

Amtrak seems to be doing much more surveying of its ridership. I got a call a few weeks ago about my expereinces on the Acela. My wife got a written survey request for one leg of the six leg transcon trip we took in November. Amtrak is also running the www.amtraksurvey.com sweepstakes. Which reminds me, I need to dig out some ticket stubs from my trip to Washington....

Rick

My thoughts on the DigiPlayer, coming from a person in the tech industry (I have not personally rented one but did play with one for an hour that another coach passenger had rented on my EB trip in January):

The device is not bad for what it is. User interface was decent, selection was okay. They will rent you enough batteries to last a 2-day trip.

Here is where I think they are missing the mark: Many people are already lugging their laptops aboard to watch DVDs. Railway Media should be developing a WiFi based delivery service for these users. Actual wireless Internet aboard LD Amtrak is a long way off. But wireless networking could easily deliver content to WiFi users aboard the train and provide a profit center. The same media licensed for the DigiPlayer could also be delivered via wireless, at minimal cost. Other information such as train location on a moving map, historical information as in the route guides, dinner menus and reservations, etc. could also be considered. Commercial grade equipment could be installed at minimal cost in the cars and could be designed to configure automatically with changing consists - no extra workload for train crews. This will also provide a ready platform for Wireless Internet when the technology has matured to the point that it is feasible.

Again, I already carry a laptop (this trip I have two along). I would love to be able to access the DigiPlayer media without the burden and responsibility of lugging along an additional piece of equipment throughout my journey.

Just a follow up. I rented the Digi-Player on board at the snack bar. One major inconvenience with the player is that if you want to pause a movie in the middle to go to dinner it is probably better to turn it off to save battery power. When you do that you lose the restart point. You have to make sure to note the exact minute and second prior to turning it off and then spend 5 minutes on fast forward to get to the restart point.

Here is where I think they are missing the mark: Many people are already lugging their laptops aboard to watch DVDs. Railway Media should be developing a WiFi based delivery service for these users. Actual wireless Internet aboard LD Amtrak is a long way off. But wireless networking could easily deliver content to WiFi users aboard the train and provide a profit center. The same media licensed for the DigiPlayer could also be delivered via wireless, at minimal cost. Other information such as train location on a moving map, historical information as in the route guides, dinner menus and reservations, etc. could also be considered. Commercial grade equipment could be installed at minimal cost in the cars and could be designed to configure automatically with changing consists - no extra workload for train crews. This will also provide a ready platform for Wireless Internet when the technology has matured to the point that it is feasible.
An intriguing idea, but one also fraught with problems and issues. The first of which is the added cost of installing all of that equipment on a train that you don’t own. Then there is the issue that helped to lead to the demise of Amtrak’s own movies, theft of equipment in the various yards where equipment is serviced. They’d have to make things like Fort Knox to keep it from being stolen.

Finally a service like that would invariably lead more people who encounter problems to turn to the Amtrak crew, who would be unable to help them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back